The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 09:47 AM

My J-35 came , new but shop-worn, without the pickguard. That was the worst thing about it as I love the fire stripe guard. Also, the fat neck on mine feels more full than any J-45 I've tried. Overall, it is very good. Glad I got it!

However, I just got a Waterloo Jumbo King and it's great. It has much the same growl as the J-35, but a fatter neck and a beautiful sunburst. I went from being a small-body-only player to having and playing two Jumbos almost everyday.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
My J-35 came , new but shop-worn, without the pickguard. That was the worst thing about it as I love the fire stripe guard. Also, the fat neck on mine feels more full than any J-45 I've tried. Overall, it is very good. Glad I got it!

However, I just got a Waterloo Jumbo King and it's great. It has much the same growl as the J-35, but a fatter neck and a beautiful sunburst. I went from being a small-body-only player to having and playing two Jumbos almost everyday.
You can get the pickguard from Gibson.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech View Post
The collectors j35's have the 1.77" nut, its a nice beefy neck. I do love the standard 'rounded' profile on the mc though.
Thanks for heads up on that spec. I am going to post my 2014 J35 soon. I'll have to look for a Collector's 35. I have also been considering a Collings CJ35 or Kopp K35, but they require a significantly higher financial investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
...However, I just got a Waterloo Jumbo King and it's great. It has much the same growl as the J-35, but a fatter neck and a beautiful sunburst. I went from being a small-body-only player to having and playing two Jumbos almost everyday.
The Jumbo Kings are fantastic! There is one for sale in the classifieds right now that I fawned over at Chicago Music Exchange. I'd love to make it mine, but sadly, others need to sell to make that happen.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Thanks for heads up on that spec. I am going to post my 2014 J35 soon. I'll have to look for a Collector's 35. I have also been considering a Collings CJ35 or Kopp K35, but they require a significantly higher financial investment.
I'm going to be putting my collectors up, for $2200usd, but I'm in Canada.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 PM

I went in for a J-45, left the store with a J-35....owned mine for about 4 years now. For the first 2 years, it was the only guitar I ever played. It has opened up to being even louder and more balanced. Nothing "tinny" or overly bright as it had been often described by some. Mine has more Gibson growl than the 3 J-45s I chose it over, with plenty of midrange voice you would expect from a short scale mahogany Gibson.

My only hesitation when I bought it was the pickguard..... it is not for everyone. It sounded too good to my ears to pass it up. But I have honestly grown to love the looks of it, as well as the overall history of the J-35. FYI, many know this, but a fun fact for everyone else - it was called the J-35 back in the 1930's because it cost $35!

Everytime I get it out of its, which isn't often enough, I play 1 chord, and I remember why I bought it. Fantastic guitar...
Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 PM

I'm fortunate to own a Collector's 35 and it is an awesome instrument!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech View Post
Love J-35's! Not overly bright at all once I swapped the tusk for bone (on the J35 MC) - took the harshness right out.

Here are my two! May sell one soon to fund a AJ to have a rosewood guitar as well.

I love my J-29, but I would also love to add a J-35 to compliment it. I really only posted to say that your natural J-35 has one of the most beautiful fretboards I have ever seen! Love it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 02-16-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I think the firestripe pickguard is the best part!
While I am normally not one to replace things unless they are broken, there are always two things that when I see on a slope shoulder Gibson I think "that is so wrong." One are Grover tuners. The other is what passes for the firestripe pickguards that Bozeman uses.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:39 AM

It does, I usually like darker fretboards myself like on my collectors, when I was into les pauls they pretty much had to be black lol

Agreed, wish the firestripe was better, the grovers are very nice tuners though, and look great with the open back and brass gears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion