The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM

I do know immediately whether I want the guitar and will do whatever it takes to get comfortable with it. But to get to the point where I feel that the guitar is entirely mine, and more or less is a companion that fits me perfectly has sometimes taken me a very long time. Six years ago, I bought a Collings CJ35 that I knew immediately I wanted, but also knew the neck and the nut width certainly weren't ideal for me. It took about five years to get to the point that I reached for it all the time. Three years with an OM, just over a year with a slope dread to get to that point, and I'm still waiting with a Dread I bought six months ago.

The exception? A Collings OM2G short scale I bought seven years ago that has been my best friend from the first moment I played it.

In all these cases the marriage was about the combination of owning the tone and developing physical comfort. But I loved the tone of each from the beginning. I'd never expect to get comfortable with a sound that didn't move me initially.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 PM

First strum usually.

However, I need to gig it to really know if it's going to work for me as a tool.

I can love how a guitar sounds on its own, but wether I like how it fits with my voice and what kind of amplified tone I can get with it on a gig is the real deciding factor.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM

I feel like I know pretty quick once I get it home. It's tough to have a true test in a guitar shop, even in an isolated room. There are so many variables that make a difference in what you hear. You can pick a 'best of the bunch' from a store. But you can't compare one from a store to your baby at home without playing them both in the same conditions. I'd say within an hour or so of playing, I pretty much know if a guitar is a keeper or not.

After further thought, there is one exception. If the strings need to be changed then I need to change them and then play it for a week or so to work the new string sound out. But all things equal, I think it's pretty instantaneous for me.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Ditto. It is or isn't - immediately. I believe that if it takes weeks or months, you've simply accustomed yourself to the instrument rather than anything else. It hasn't changed, you have.
Bingo!

Especially if it’s been shipped to you and it’s either grow to like it or deal with the hassle of returning it. More guitars have been accepted due to that than the owners will admit. You can find them eventually in the Classifieds.

I know within one or two chords if a guitar is exceptional or pedestrian. I don’t want one I have to learn to accept.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM

I bought a Taylor 714ce at the end of 2017. I had buyer's remorse for months. I don't know if I have just gotten used to it or maybe it has opened up or maybe it is the strings I have finally settled on or maybe it was the fact that my other two Taylors had a 1 11/16 nut and the 714 has a 1 2/4 nut and that threw me off but I now find myself playing the 714 90% of the time over my other two Taylors. I also installed a Tonewood Amp on my 714 early last year and that really made it more appealing for me to play so maybe that helped me get a better feel for the guitar and I am used to it now. That is just my experience and may not relate to what you are going through.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 AM
Guest 728

I think that today's ability to effortlessly buy and sell an unlimited selection of guitars sometimes makes it too easy to move on to others before really getting to know the ones we have. I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of guitars that didn't initially grab me, but over time revealed their charms.

But when you say that you have to force yourself to play it and then want to put it down after ten minutes, that's a pretty strong indicator that it's time to move on.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM

please identify why not? too loud? too quiet? too much in the overtones? too little overtones? hands hurt? fingers hurt? can't barre properly?

more detail, please.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgad4 View Post
Got a beautiful Emerald Woody X20 here on the forum last month. But I'm just not bonding with it and I don't know why not. How long do you give it?
For me knowing whether I would buy a guitar has always been immediately, from the first strum and fingerstyle runs I make on it. I don't buy them often mind you because I really don't have any need of one anymore being happy with what I have but there it is.

Here's the thing (for me anyway); I have bought precisely one guitar online (a MIM Stratocaster about 10 years ago) and I immediately regretted it because it just didn't ring my bell in person AT ALL. It LOOKED beautiful in the photos and was nice enough to see it and had no major flaws really, but playing it was not a great experience from the git-go. Fortunately, I was able to sell it for a relatively small loss to a woman who was buying it for her 13yo son to learn on so I felt better about losing money at all on the whole foolish transaction.

When I thought about it, I remembered all the guitars I had played over the decades and was underwhelmed about before finding the ones I have now, and that seems to me to be an excellent reason not to buy one you've never played. I don't care how beautiful it is, or how epic your GAS pains may be, the disappointment after getting such a guitar shipped to you and finding it is not your thing is just worse than suffering through the temporary GAS for free.

All, of course, IMHO.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM

For me? Give me about 2 minutes.

If you are couch musician, give it a couple of weeks.

If you gig, wait until you play in at least 2-3 different rooms through different PA systems before you sell it.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgad4 View Post
Got a beautiful Emerald Woody X20 here on the forum last month. But I'm just not bonding with it and I don't know why not. How long do you give it?
Typically, 5 to 10 minutes of playing time is enough for me to judge if I’ll be happy with a guitar in the long run.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:04 PM

LMAO. All these responses and not one wise guy remark about "taking it off your hands cheap".
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM

I wonder how many thousands of outstanding guitars get passed up because they are sitting in guitar stores or being sold online and have not been properly humidified, were not set up properly or had old strings? The tone of most guitars can be improved by checking out these details and correcting them if necessary.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I wonder how many thousands of outstanding guitars get passed up because they are sitting in guitar stores or being sold online and have not been properly humidified, were not set up properly or had old strings? The tone of most guitars can be improved by checking out these details and correcting them if necessary.
This is a great point!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
For me, it's love at first strum or it's not going to happen.
+1
Nick
Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 PM

I always took a long time (IMO) like weeks to months to bond with my guitars. Often it was more the way the initial setup was, so once I had them set up to my specs it made a huge difference. Also switching between the "new" guitar and others you have sitting around at home can be very detrimental to the bonding process. Try to play it exclusively and stop comparing to others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion