The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Is it the sound or the feel of the guitar that you are not bonding with? If you like the looks of the guitar, don't need the money and are reasonably pleased with the feel and unique sound, you should probably keep it for quite a while. Carbon fibre guitars look great and are a good topic for conversation. You will like some of its unique qualities, such as no need to humidify, and you might decide that you do start to bond with it and might like it for certain particular songs. Make sure that it is properly set up. Every guitar cannot be the best sounding or most comfortable guitar to play.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM

"Trying To Bond - How Long Do You Give a New One?"

If it doesn't sing, "Take Me Home Tonight" (just like Ronnie in either song), then it doesn't come home with me.

Bottom line is, if there's no bond when I try it out, end of story.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

It typically takes me a couple of weeks of playing a new guitar to get an understanding of what I’ve got. It takes quite a bit longer to develop a bond. I’ve had guitars that I have liked but never bonded with and I have had other guitars that took many months to make a love connection. An extreme case in point is a SCGC OM I purchased new over 2 years ago. I liked it immediately, but it took almost 2 years to worm its way into me. I never gave up on it because there was something there I couldn’t shake. Ive never owned a guitar that has taken so long to open up/settle down. This guitar took 2 years to settle in, but when it did, it really made me happy I stayed with it. So in this case more than 2 years. But this is very unusual.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 02-12-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

For me it can take several weeks - especially if it is a feel issue as opposed to a tone issue. Finding the sound I want doesn't take as long for me. I also think that sometimes these things are not necessarily rational or logical. Even if you want to love it, if you don't love it, you will probably not play it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

If it were a "Factory Fresh" all wood guitar I'd say give it 6-9 months. I don't have any experience with Emeralds but I assume they don't change. Is it the tone or feel? If it were me I'd probably give it a month or two to see if my ear or left hand adjusted, but I'd take care to keep it minty, for re-sale.

I once thought I wasn't going to bond with the first V-neck I got, but I loved the tone. Within a month or so I found that while I did need to concentrate a little more on my left hand, it made me a better player. One of my favorites now.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Thanks all. In the past, I knew immediately - wether it was tone or feel - there was something that me made not want to put it down. With the X20, I have to force myself to play it and after 10 minutes, I'm asking myself why I bought it. I think Jayne is correct, if you don't love it, you're not going to play it. And if you have guitars that you do love .......
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke

Last edited by Dadgad4; 02-12-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgad4 View Post
Thanks all. In the past, I knew immediately - wether it was tone or feel - there was something that me made not want to put it down. With the X20, I have to force myself to play it and after 10 minutes, I'm asking myself why I bought it. I think Jayne is correct, if you don't love it, you're not going to play it. And if you have guitars that you do love .......
I'm sorry you haven't bonded with your X20. I can't put mine down.

But, everyone's tastes are different - and the good news is that you should have little trouble recouping your investment should you decide to move it on.

Somewhere out there, I hope someone is really enjoying a Godin 5th Avenue that I was obsessed with. Loved its looks - I wanted to buy one from the first moment I saw it. Sadly, after it arrived, I found that I could not stand playing it for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I tried everything - adjusting action, strings, but eventually came to the conclusion that it just didn't fit me. I so wanted to love it...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 PM

I know right away if I dislike a guitars sound.

I'm not super picky about neck shape, scale length or nut width and own guitars will all manners of the above so "feel", whatever that means, is important to me and I know very quickly if I don't like the feel of a guitar.

It's harder for me to tell if I love or merely really like a guitar though. This can take years honestly. I've had guitars that I couldn't quite decide if they were true keepers that I've hung onto for years until I have finally decided that I should move on from them. I'm going through this with a 30's Epiphone right now. I've had it for four or five months. Great neck, good feel, good sound etc... but I can't quite tell if it's a guitar I really want to play all the time. I keep pulling it out and enjoy it quite a bit but in some ways it doesn't inspire me. I mean, if it was the guitarpocalypse and it was the only one I had left, I'd be perfectly happy to play it for the rest of my life but I'm just not sure if I truly love it.

I play a lot of electric and honestly, it's harder for me to tell if I truly love an electric than it is with an acoustic.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Usually right after I pick it up and examine it and play the first chord. But it's a fairly quick process for me. I've struggled with "wanting" to like one and ended up selling at a loss later. Better to take advantage of the grace period if purchasing online. I've unpacked one...picked it up and knew before I ever played it that it was going back. 30 seconds of playing confirmed it and bye-bye!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 02-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

It took a bit for me to get used to the nuances of my Avalon, but I knew as soon as I first played it that it wasn't going anywhere.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Got a beautiful Emerald Woody X20 here on the forum last month. But I'm just not bonding with it and I don't know why not. How long do you give it?
Before I lay my money down. If I don't like it before that, it stays with the seller.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Got a beautiful Emerald Woody X20 here on the forum last month. But I'm just not bonding with it and I don't know why not. How long do you give it?
I know immediately. I've been very curious about the Emerald X20 sound, and even more so of the X30. But, none have found their way into my hands.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 PM

It usually takes me about 5 minutes or less. It either happens or it doesn't for me. I have played guitars for 20 seconds and knew it was never coming home with me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Within the return policy of the seller. Otherwise
your stuck with it. An Emerald is a different colored Horse.
So is it that the guitar is very different than any
youve played before or is it just the guitar??
Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
It usually takes me about 5 minutes or less. It either happens or it doesn't for me. I have played guitars for 20 seconds and knew it was never coming home with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I know immediately........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I know right away if I dislike a guitars sound.

I'm not super picky about neck shape, scale length or nut width and own guitars will all manners of the above so "feel", whatever that means, is important to me and I know very quickly if I don't like the feel of a guitar...
Ditto. It is or isn't - immediately. I believe that if it takes weeks or months, you've simply accustomed yourself to the instrument rather than anything else. It hasn't changed, you have.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 02-12-2019 at 10:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion