The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Trying To Bond - How Long Do You Give a New One?

Got a beautiful Emerald Woody X20 here on the forum last month. But I'm just not bonding with it and I don't know why not. How long do you give it?
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I pretty much know within 48 hours if a guitar is a keeper. But it typically takes living with and playing the guitar for 6 months to really assess its strengths and capabilities, and in my case whether or not I can deal with the playability and neck profile (I'm SUPER picky).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I usually have a good idea within a couple weeks. I play at home and gig. So I have to evaluate at at least one or two shows before forming a final decision. But if it sucks at the first show ....I'm done.

But for home, I give it a good week and play it until its warm. Maybe its just in my head, but I feel like a guitar warms up and wakes up as I play it. Even a good solid 20 minutes. But maybe I'm just personally dialing-into the guitar and warming up myself.

Either way, if something about a guitar is bothering me ...it will probably always bother me. I have some that are right-as-rain as they say. Sometimes, an instrument might be great, but not "great-for-ME."
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Is this your first Emerald or first CF guitar? I own two and they are different than wood guitars. I have an X20 and it’s my favorite CF. When it comes to tone my wood guitars win every time over the CF’s. The playability between my wood and CF guitars is equal. CF guitars are not for everyone.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgad4 View Post
Got a beautiful Emerald Woody X20 here on the forum last month. But I'm just not bonding with it and I don't know why not. How long do you give it?
OK, the guitar is carbon fiber. So it isn't going to change in any way. How it sounds today is how it will always sound, strings being a bit of a variable.

What drew you to it originally?
How is it not meeting your expectations?

Give it 90 days, at least. It may grow on you.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I usually know very quickly if I'm going to bond with it or not. If I like the feel and playability but not loving the tone, I might run it through a couple different sets of strings before making the final decision. My Ibanez AVC6 is one of those guitars that felt great but the tone was just lacking somewhere until I moved up to Medium gauge PB strings and then it just came to life and became a keeper. I've also tried a few USA Martin dreadnaughts and never bonded with them, but when I played my 000-17e in the store the connection was instant. It could be that Carbon Fiber guitars just aren't organic enough for you, but given the cost and durability of these guitars, I'd make every effort to bond with it before moving on. Good luck!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM

With my Custom D it took about six months of trial and error to discover the right strings, but once I had them the bonding was instantaneous.

Your mileage may vary with a carbon fibre guitar.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM

I know the first time i play them - strings can make it a little bit better -but not much .
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I’d give it a few weeks at least. Leave it out and don’t pick it up until the mood takes you. Stop thinking and analysing if you can (I’m an expert at thinking too much!) and just play it.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-12-2019, 04:22 PM

I bought a x7 last year and when I first played it, I felt much the same. Now is has a real place in my guitars. The neck felt odd and the tone sounded a bit strange but not so much any more. It stays out in the den and I reach for it while watching the tv. It goes with me everywhere and I don’t worry too much about it. Not sure I’m ready for X20 to replace my wood guitars but I would love to try one.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM

No more than a week.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM

For me, it's love at first strum or it's not going to happen.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Some I know within 1 minute of playing.

Others, like my DN3, really took me a good several months.

It's neck is little wider than most Taylor necks, and it is a dreadnought which is less comfy than smaller guitars.

It wasn't until I recorded it and listened back that I said "wow" this is a killer guitar. I played it for years as my main acoustic, and it's the last guitar I would ever sell.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 PM

I loved my 2008 Taylor Fall Limited Koa GS UNPLUGGED! Probably the best-sounding Taylor I've ever owned, in that aspect. However, I hated the tone of it plugged in and that's the primary reason I bought it. It was super bright the minute it was plugged in to anything. I tried different strings, different picks, cables, turning the treble all the way down, called Taylor and tried their suggestions and nothing would take the brightness out of the unplugged tone, so after seven months, it had to go.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM

Some guitars, it is love at first strum. Others, there is appreciation, but not a deep bond for a while. Sometimes, I don't really know until I get a set-up and try some different strings. And some guitars, there is enough to keep you interested and hold onto it, but the real bond takes months or even years to develop. But, most of the time, I won't wait longer than a month and a set up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion