The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Yes the Yamaha 800 series has a been gem from the get-go. A lot has to do with the scalloped bracing, a major upgrade over an already great 700 series.

I was smitten by the tone of the FS800 and bought one when they first came out. Had a coupon. But then the FS Transacoustic came out and I traded the FS800.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM

A question that might get lost this far down in the thread:

Is the FS830 worth the extra $100 relative to the FS800? Does the laminated rosewood really sound much different from the laminate neto or whatever is used on the 800?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post

Is the FS830 worth the extra $100 relative to the FS800? Does the laminated rosewood really sound much different from the laminate neto or whatever is used on the 800?
Yes. To start with I have found the FGs to be remarkably consistent from one instrument to the next, and moving up from a FG or FS 800 to a 820 or 830 is worth it. There is a consistent difference in tone moving up the food chain with the 820 providing a noticeably more robust, full, bigger, rounder sound. Yamaha matches the same laminate used on the back with that which lines the inside of the back of the guitar as viewed through the soundhole, the latter which affects and upgrades the tonal performance. I can’t comment specifically on the 830 as I haven’t sampled enough but expect a similar improvement.

What the OP has is an ‘ultimate’ guitar in my view, love the build and neck profile.

Last edited by Jaden; 02-11-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:

To me......yes, it was.

I played the Nato version a couple months ago, and thought it was pretty nice. It needed new strings and a polish up...but it was a good guitar.

The one I just snagged has a TON more soul to it. Deeper lows than I would have expected, and all the mids I enjoy while strumming on the couch. The beauty is, one doesn't overpower the other. It's very well balanced.

The rosewood laminate on the back and sides looks REALLY nice, too. Right now, it's the only RW in my office cave, and a pleasant variation from my other toys.

I would, without hesitation, put this guitar on par with new ones from various makers in the <$800 range. I'd definitely (and painfully) admit it to be better built than my Alvarez Delta 00. Love that guitar to no end, but the Yamaha is a better instrument, across the board.

It's feasible that I just happened upon a REALLY great FS830, and that's the cause for such noticeable improvements to the FS800 I tried...but all else being equal, the rosewood coloring and tasteful 'bling' was worth the extra funds...especially since it is such a monster player for such relative low cost.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830

Last edited by drawshot1975; 02-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawshot1975 View Post
To me......yes, it was.

I played the Nato version a couple months ago, and thought it was pretty nice. It needed new strings and a polish up...but it was a good guitar.

The one I just snagged has a TON more soul to it. Deeper lows than I would have expected, and all the mids I enjoy while strumming on the couch. The beauty is, one doesn't overpower the other. It's very well balanced.

The rosewood laminate on the back and sides looks REALLY nice, too. Right now, it's the only RW in my office cave, and a pleasant variation from my other toys.

I would, without hesitation, put this guitar on par with new ones from various makers in the <$800 range. I'd definitely (and painfully) admit it to be better built than my Alvarez Delta 00. Love that guitar to no end, but the Yamaha is a better instrument, across the board.
This is good to know because I've been thinking of getting the FG830 (or even the FG840 maybe). I already have an 800 and love it much, but would like to move up the "food chain". I'm hesitant though, because part of me thinks I would just be getting a "nicer looking" 800 which sounds basically the same. Your comments though are definitely giving me food for thought. I've also thought of getting an LS6 instead of the 830.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:

To me the answer was clearly no. The 800 and 830 did not sound identical, but to me it was just a difference--not a matter of one sounding "better".

Having said that, the only way you can determine this is to play them both for yourself. Any GC will probably have multiple examples of both models in stock. See if it makes a difference to you.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Yamaha makes some really good entry level guitars...

My daughter in law just started playing and I bought her a FS820 in Autumn Burst and she absolutely loves it...she's on the petite side and it suits her to a T...

Like some others, I have some upper level guitars and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality, playability and sound of this guitar...

I give it my official
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I keep one at my Florida condo. When I arrive, It's always in tune. Stuck a cheap UST in it and play open Mics.

Great guitar.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM

So I have a FSX730SC and a AC3R. The AC is all solid wood, and sounds fantastic. The FSX730SC is laminate b&s, and sounds...you guessed it, fantastic! So much so that I’m selling my AC3R on the classifieds right now. I really like it, but personally can’t justify having multiple great guitars, especially 2 great yammies. So I’m keeping the first one I bought. If someone wants a great sounding all solid wood Yamaha, check out the AGF classifieds. I’ve also had a FG730 and a LS6, and they were both...wait for it, fantastic!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Is the FS830 worth the extra $100 relative to the FS800? Does the laminated rosewood really sound much different from the laminate neto or whatever is
used on the 800?
My experience was absolutely no. I got the FS800 for a couch noodle at a big box store that only had an FG830 to compare, and the FS800 sounded better even though FG830 is a larger guitar. Maybe I just played a not so good FG830?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 PM

Yamaha is now the world's musical juggernaut. I've got students playing trumpets for a couple hundre $$$ where the next step up in terms of sound and playability is at $1500+ for other brands. I've got a Yamaha 5 string bass that run circles around other basses that cost twice as much. FS830's and really good guitars though I prefer the FG's myself. Congratulations!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM

I have one.
It is very nice and the sound is really good I think. But I wish it were a short scale guitar with 1.75 at the nut.
I play mine with a capo between 1st and 2nd fret.
I'm glad I went ahead and got the 830.
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
1 Kala baritone uke/tenor guitar hybrid, steel strings
Oh, and a Z*#&$=#@, Travel size
Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
So I have a FSX730SC and a AC3R. The AC is all solid wood, and sounds fantastic. The FSX730SC is laminate b&s, and sounds...you guessed it, fantastic! So much so that I’m selling my AC3R on the classifieds right now. I really like it, but personally can’t justify having multiple great guitars, especially 2 great yammies. So I’m keeping the first one I bought. If someone wants a great sounding all solid wood Yamaha, check out the AGF classifieds. I’ve also had a FG730 and a LS6, and they were both...wait for it, fantastic!
I ended up getting rid of my AC3R as well. And an A5R for that matter. My FGX730SC is still with me. I had it out last night and was marveling at how great it is, especially at its price point.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
This is good to know because I've been thinking of getting the FG830 (or even the FG840 maybe). I already have an 800 and love it much, but would like to move up the "food chain". I'm hesitant though, because part of me thinks I would just be getting a "nicer looking" 800 which sounds basically the same. Your comments though are definitely giving me food for thought. I've also thought of getting an LS6 instead of the 830.
I've seen the LS6 in a sale here for a very good price and, although the FG/FS are fine guitars the L-series is a definite step up (plus you get a decent case included). I'm very familiar with the consistency of the L-series having owned several over the years and would have no hesitation in buying 'blind'. I currently play an LL16.
That said if you're looking at having another dread then the LL6 is really a no-brainer.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Yup, fantastic guitars. I have a FG830 and FG820 models and they are fine fine guitars. I bought good cases for them, thought they deserved it.

Corey
2015 Taylor 214
2010 Martin D18 Standard
2017 Taylor 410 Rosewood
2017 Taylor Mini GS -E Walnut
Martin D12X1AE 12 String
Bugera AC60 Amp
Acoustic A20 Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion