The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEkneurauter View Post
Beautiful piece! Congrats!
Hey thanks CMEkneurater, I've beens staring at several of your beauties in the AGF Marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Never met a Collings guitar that I didn't LOVE!

Congrats!
Well 6L6, I haven't played a whole lot of 'em but the recent few I've tried I'm with ya. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Sweet guitar!
I once again miss the D2H I once enjoyed. Sort of a tad brighter and clearer than a Martin, especially with the EJ16's.
Happy for you.

and special thanks for Mick Wills!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMC...xcCKw-B5N631fF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMC...xcCKw-B5N631fF
Thanks for checking in Tippy, agreed on that...I've also got more than few that I miss. Waaaah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Congrats on the Collings! Looks and sounds wonderful. And count me in the "unbelievably clear with great separation" camp. Cheers!
Thankin' ya much Pura Vida, yeah really the more I play it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Nice. Congratulations on the Collings and on the D-18 from a few months back.
Lol, yeah really..."look at me, look at me!" Thanks archerscreek, new guitars are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
Guitar is pretty! Mostly I enjoyed the story. Fun writing.
Hahaha, thanks byudzai - glad you enjoyed it. Yah, it's purtty, trying not to walk into walls with it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 AM

beautiful guitar! sounds great, too! where'd you learn to play like that???? thumbs up!
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
beautiful guitar! sounds great, too! where'd you learn to play like that???? thumbs up!
Thanks fenderball, a work in progress!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Great playing! I'd love to hear some more. Why aren't you all over the Show and Tell section?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Congrats! That is the holy grail for me, and you got one! Absolutely wonderful in tone and looks. Enjoy that one!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great playing! I'd love to hear some more. Why aren't you all over the Show and Tell section?
Hey thanks Kerbie! I dunno, need to work something up worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Congrats! That is the holy grail for me, and you got one! Absolutely wonderful in tone and looks. Enjoy that one!
Treenewt, appreciate it - thank you! I am enjoying.

Some random observations after a few days:

With Lights on up to pitch, it feels a little stiff which is relative no doubt but to girlieman me, it's a little tight but I could get used to it. Down a 1/2 step is beautiful though & I did get this for my party, just solo guitar stuff and recording with other folks easy enough, capo up. A whole live set with other people tuned standard, add beer & that's a lot of concentration to remember you're 1/2 step below.

Anyway...with custom lights, 11-52 give or take which brand, up to pitch, plays great, a lot of fun & inspiring. The 11's are a little thin but it's pretty close especially if you don't get on it. I tried a .012 up top but might get some .0115 singles and try that. The 'Mod V neck', it's ok. I'm not a huge V neck fan, it lends itself to you grabbing it like a baseball bat which is fine for lots of stuff but if you want to play with sorta left hand classical technique at times, you gotta forget it's a V once in awhile. Easy enough. 1 & 3/4" nut, I wouldn't mind a regular OM, not 12 fret, with 1 & 7/8", 1 & 13/16", something like that. 1 & 3/4" is wide for many but it doesn't seem so wide on this guitar, makes you have to play up on your fingertips though to get everything in there...which is a good thing.

So, still experimenting with strings & gauges, I'm sure in the end I'll probably just go with some 12-52s or close. Decaff!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Made on offer on an OM2H this past spring. If my trade in hadn't been ridiculously undervalued I'd be right there with you. Shop had two of them and they were both fantastic.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Made on offer on an OM2H this past spring. If my trade in hadn't been ridiculously undervalued I'd be right there with you. Shop had two of them and they were both fantastic.
Hey Mr. Paul, yeah trading can be hurtful no doubt. Hope you find something great!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 AM

More from the yay me, new guitar in the kitchen through the laptop mic-fest:
Old 02-16-2019, 06:28 AM

I'm back! and another sans pick
Old 02-22-2019, 06:54 AM

Make him go away....
Old 02-24-2019, 07:49 AM

Well I'm back talking about me & my guitar again. The OM-2H honeymoon has pretty much come & gone. Still liking it a lot. I've tried a few strings so far. I mean if you're not playing great, it must be the strings right? BTW, with Lights on the guitar I'm staying a 1/2 step down most of the time.

D'Addario EJ16 - .012-.053. You know 'em you love 'em, you know 'em, you don't love 'em. They certainly are proven though.

NANOWEB PB Custom Lights - .011-.052 New to the OM-2H, I figured I'd try 11's and see how much easier the guitar could play and it does but you lose some oomph. It's fun with 'em on though, the guitar rings. I stuck a .012 up top so you could dig in a little more, still soon as they go on I'm wishing I had regular lights on.

Martin 140 80/20 Lights - .012-.054 They were a little brassy at first but they toned down. They're nice. They are right on this guitar. I'll get the regular old Martin PB lights and try. I can't get into those Martin strings with the gold looking trebles. It wigs me out.

NANOWEB PB Lights - .012-.053 I like these, you lose the twang on the bass strings a little though and with a capo on the low E sounds a little dead. Still I like 'em & have liked 'em for years but they are coated so there's that.

DR SUNBEAMS Lights - 012-.054 These get a lot of love here so I had to try them. It's all been said, easy on the left hand, very even sounding but you do lose a little of the bass string thwack if you're into that. Still, they got a thing going on.

John Pierce Lights .012-.053 Been years since I used these, they're currently on now. They certainly work.

Open to others' observations if'n you want to!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Well I'm back talking about me & my guitar again. The OM-2H honeymoon has pretty much come & gone. Still liking it a lot. I've tried a few strings so far. I mean if you're not playing great, it must be the strings right? BTW, with Lights on the guitar I'm staying a 1/2 step down most of the time.

D'Addario EJ16 - .012-.053. You know 'em you love 'em, you know 'em, you don't love 'em. They certainly are proven though.

NANOWEB PB Custom Lights - .011-.052 New to the OM-2H, I figured I'd try 11's and see how much easier the guitar could play and it does but you lose some oomph. It's fun with 'em on though, the guitar rings. I stuck a .012 up top so you could dig in a little more, still soon as they go on I'm wishing I had regular lights on.

Martin 140 80/20 Lights - .012-.054 They were a little brassy at first but they toned down. They're nice. They are right on this guitar. I'll get the regular old Martin PB lights and try. I can't get into those Martin strings with the gold looking trebles. It wigs me out.

NANOWEB PB Lights - .012-.053 I like these, you lose the twang on the bass strings a little though and with a capo on the low E sounds a little dead. Still I like 'em & have liked 'em for years but they are coated so there's that.

DR SUNBEAMS Lights - 012-.054 These get a lot of love here so I had to try them. It's all been said, easy on the left hand, very even sounding but you do lose a little of the bass string thwack if you're into that. Still, they got a thing going on.

John Pierce Lights .012-.053 Been years since I used these, they're currently on now. They certainly work.

Open to others' observations if'n you want to!

Andy! We need to catch up sometime.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Andy! We need to catch up sometime.
DE! I'll holler at you.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:53 PM

loved the tones in video 3...which strings were on for that one?

ps...great playing on those vids....
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion