The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 09:00 AM

I have compared a non art capo (and non yoke style) to the heritage capo and the heritage definitely sounds more correct and less muffled.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgumbino View Post
I don't disagree. However, the OP didn't ask about the best hi-end capo that works with varying fretboard radii of guitars.

Again, no one is missing anything. It's a great idea. IMO the execution left some things to be desired in regards to sound quality. I own multiple guitars that all have the same fret board radius, so it's a non issue for me. Just because someone prefers a capo other than the Heritage doesn't mean they are missing anything. It's just a personal preference.

Rick Shubb has some interesting things to say about capos and differing fretboard radii: http://www.shubb.com/service/radii.html

I agree with Larry 100%. IMO, the Katzeyez bumper rings more true than the Heritage. I think the V shaped cradle does a great job of helping center the capo on the neck as well.

To each their own.
Most agf members seem to own more than one guitar and frequently multiple ones of different brands and sizes.

So i think it is a powerful and relevant consideration for most of us if a capo is able to adjust to the radii of different guitars automatically.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
If I had more space in my man-cave, I’d probably keep my guitars on floor racks and would probably try a yoke style capo and just store it above the nut when not in use. But I hang my guitar from the walls and am always hanging them up and taking them down, even during a playing session, so a yoke style just wouldn’t work for me.

Of the “side-mounts” I like the Shubb and the G7th P2 about equally. Have a Thalia I never use for the reasons others have already stated and a Kyser I’ve had forever with a spring strong enough to snap off a guitar neck. I’m looking forward to trying a P3 even though both of my acoustics have the same radius - the ART should make it easier to keep in tune, but we’ll see. And I can also use it on my electrics on the very rare occasion I use a capo on an electric...

-Ray
Ray, When my guitar is hanging in its Hercules stand the capo is hanging loosely down around the 4-5th fret. It doesn’t have to be up at the nut so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work in a hanging situation.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I have compared a non art capo (and non yoke style) to the heritage capo and the heritage definitely sounds more correct and less muffled.
This was the most apparent difference in capos that I immediately noticed with my guitar. With any capo my guitar lost a little something, less richness, less depth. With the Heritage nothing is lost and I never suspected that could happen. So I hope anyone who has experienced “capo dampening” might be encouraged that there’s now a solution to that problem. I tend to believe it’s in part due to the ART adjusting to the radius and applying equal pressure across the fretboard.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Wow, hit a nerve?

There's far less knowledge out there about the Heritage and that's what's "missing". The ART technology is worth of a deeper dive and that also is "missing" from discussions largely centered around capos that have been used for the past several decades.
Not any more so than it seems I hit one with you.

There's plenty of information about the Heritage capo on this this forum. Anyone searching for information on "best capo" over the last couple years is sure to find threads touting their benefit. Interestingly enough, I think one will find less information about Showcase and Katzeyez capos on the forums than about the Heritage. So, using your logic, you should be pleased with my sharing positive information about these lesser known capos.

Quote:
Wow, hit a nerve?
You mention the sound quality of the Heritage, do you own one and found you didn't like it?
Yes, as previously mentioned in this thread, I owned a Heritage and sold it after direct comparisons to the Showcase capo. I share Buc's sentiments regarding the Heritage performance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
One more affirmative for the Kat Eyz capo. I own a G7th Heritage and an Elliot and while they are fine capos, well made and beautiful, the Kat Eyz wins in the functionality department.

The Heritage is stunning work (bought the one with the fancy engraving) in all regards, but due to the ART string pad, requires serious tightening to eliminate string rattle. While this may seem like a minor issue to some, I much prefer the almost instantaneous snugging of the Kat Eyz design.......perhaps it's the V neck cradle that accounts for this, I dunno, but it snugs up perfectly with nearly zero tightening. The Elliot is nice but I don't like the crossbar latch design which is weak compared to the Kat Eyz. The least expensive of the lot, the Kat Eyz is the one for me and, for my purposes, the best of the lot.

Quote:
Many people can benefit from the ART technology who own guitars with differing radius. You don't need it so why buy the Heritage, if you did? With the collection of guitars I see that many have on the forum, learning about ART should be of great interest. But I get it, not for you and that's great just didn't see the need to rain on the parade. "To each their own."
I purchased the Heritage (used) because it was being touted as the next best thing since sliced bread by many on this forum and because I saw the benefit of a yoke capo after not being happy with numerous other capos I've tried. I have also owned multiple other G7 capos and admire their craftsmanship, so I gave it a shot. I enjoy trying new pieces of gear so I can decide for myself if it works for me. Not all folks like to tinker with their setup (picks, capos, bone nuts/saddles, strings, pickups), however, many do. No harm no fowl either way. And yes, as previously stated, to each their own.

Since you clearly didn't read my previous posts about owning and not liking the Heritage for my use, I will ask again if you read Rick Shubb's article I shared about fret board radii and capos?

http://www.shubb.com/service/radii.html

The OP was seeking input on high end capos. You prefer the Heritage, I do not. I don't understand why you take it as a personal attack that I don't agree with you? At least I have owned/used a Heritage and speak from first hand experience and am not bad mouthing a device which I haven't ever tried.

As for raining on the parade, hello pot, I'm kettle.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I remember reading that article by Rick Shubb a while back. I will say that I have not had any issues with my Elliotts or my Shubbs in terms of the changing radii. My two best guitars each have a compound radius and the capos do work well from the 1st fret though the 9th fret though I seldom capo above the 6th fret. A guitar player in my songwriting group has both a Martin and a Telecaster and loves the Heritage.

There are so many good choices out there for capos no matter your personal choice. I have had the Elliotts for so long and I am very used to them on my best guitars. I switch off now and then but always come back to the Elliotts. It is amazing how many more capo choices there are now than even 10 years ago. Cheers to choices!

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Not any more so than it seems I hit one with you.

There's plenty of information about the Heritage capo on this this forum. Anyone searching for information on "best capo" over the last couple years is sure to find threads touting their benefit. Interestingly enough, I think one will find less information about Showcase and Katzeyez capos on the forums than about the Heritage. So, using your logic, you should be pleased with my sharing positive information about these lesser known capos.

Yes, as previously mentioned in this thread, I owned a Heritage and sold it after direct comparisons to the Showcase capo. I share Buc's sentiments regarding the Heritage performance:

I purchased the Heritage (used) because it was being touted as the next best thing since sliced bread by many on this forum and because I saw the benefit of a yoke capo after not being happy with numerous other capos I've tried. I have also owned multiple other G7 capos and admire their craftsmanship, so I gave it a shot. I enjoy trying new pieces of gear so I can decide for myself if it works for me. Not all folks like to tinker with their setup (picks, capos, bone nuts/saddles, strings, pickups), however, many do. No harm no fowl either way. And yes, as previously stated, to each their own.

Since you clearly didn't read my previous posts about owning and not liking the Heritage for my use, I will ask again if you read Rick Shubb's article I shared about fret board radii and capos?

http://www.shubb.com/service/radii.html

The OP was seeking input on high end capos. You prefer the Heritage, I do not. I don't understand why you take it as a personal attack that I don't agree with you? At least I have owned/used a Heritage and speak from first hand experience and am not bad mouthing a device which I haven't ever tried.

As for raining on the parade, hello pot, I'm kettle.
I’m extremely happy you’ve shared the info on the lesser known capos.
I’ve never mentioned “personal attack”, nor have I participated in any “bad mouthing” of “a device I haven’t used”.
I’ve read the Shubb article. It’s everything I would expect from him.

Relax. Decaf might be the answer.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m extremely happy you’ve shared the info on the lesser known capos.
I’ve never mentioned “personal attack”, nor have I participated in any “bad mouthing” of “a device I haven’t used”.
I’ve read the Shubb article. It’s everything I would expect from him.

Relax. Decaf might be the answer.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ray, When my guitar is hanging in its Hercules stand the capo is hanging loosely down around the 4-5th fret. It doesn’t have to be up at the nut so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work in a hanging situation.
I’m sure I could make it work in a similar way, but I move the guitar on and off the wall more often than use a capo, so most of those moves would require moving the capo. With a side mount capo, it’s either in a place where it doesn’t matter up on the fretboard, or it’s sitting on my desk/table with my iPad and pics and amp, or it might be clamped to my headstock. And taking it off and on is no more difficult than moving/adjusting it. I’m fine with the low-tech capos I’m using now, I’m curious about how much more I might like the P3 with its adaptable radius, and haven’t found a compelling need to spend the $$$ on a higher end yoke capo. I never say never, but in this case, I’ll say probably not anytime soon...

-Ray
Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 PM

I had earlier posted asking if the katz eyz capos were still in production as i found am older umgf post that said they were not. But i then found a banjo forum in 2016 that had many favourable posts on the capos still in production.

Do i take it that the capos are still in production? I may add to my growing capo collection in the future if that is so lol

Last edited by gitarro; 02-01-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

I have a G7th Heritage yoke capo - the best capo I have ever seen/used/touched. Nothing even comes close.
Ditto. The Heritage is my fave.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I had earlier posted asking if the katz eyz capos were still in production as i found am older umgf post that said they were not. But i then found a banjo forum in 2016 that had many favourable posts on the capos still in production.

Do i take it that the capos are still in production? I may add to my growing capo collection in the future if that is so lol
Yes, they are. I ordered mine within the last month.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 AM

Who would have thought there would be a heated capo thread??
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-02-2019, 03:04 AM

Excuse me, but is this the right room for an argument?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, they are. I ordered mine within the last month.
Thanks the greatgumbino...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion