The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
A lot of people swear by the beveling thing. I don't think I'm a good enough player to notice the difference.

sm
Scott,

You don’t have to be a good player to notice the difference - I’m a pure hacker and I definitely notice a difference. Which is not to say it’s better or worse - like most things it’s down to personal preference. I think the bevil is mostly there for picking, but I don’t particularly like what they do to the sound when strumming. And while I’m fine with it when picking, but I’m also fine without it. So, I’ve carefully filed the speed bevel off of some picks and like them more for it.

To each their own, for sure, but I think there’s definitely a difference...

-Ray
Old 02-15-2019, 05:28 PM

I've got a couple of Chicken Picks and some large triangle Primetones.

I've become a Primetone junkie. I like the standard medium-gauge teardrop for electric and my 12-stringer, the large triangle (1.4) for acoustic, and the rounded triangle for my mandolin.

But I like the Chicken Picks a lot, too.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 PM

I'm a casein guy an have bad in picks from Fender,Clayton, John Pearse,Red Bear and charmed life. My favorites are the CL 1.5 triangles an I like the John Pearce 1.5s.
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 02-17-2019, 01:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
I'm a casein guy an have bad in picks from Fender,Clayton, John Pearse,Red Bear and charmed life. My favorites are the CL 1.5 triangles an I like the John Pearce 1.5s.
Love me some casein. I was playing one the other day and you would have sworn it was a genuine tortoise picks.

Folks, if you've been interested in trying a better pick but have never played one made from casein, you will likely be stunned.

scott memmer
Old 03-07-2019, 12:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Ok, so after having spent more time with my Charmed Life picks, my initial assessment of how they play and sound for me still holds true. HOWEVER, what has changed is my opinion of a clear 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice "favorite". I don't think of them like that any longer at all. At this point I like them equally for but different uses.

I was going to send the Brown back for an exchange, but am very glad that I didn't. As I've been working through my repertoire there are songs where the Brown is definitely the best pick for the job, and the same is true for the other two. I originally got one of each to see which I preferred. Now its clear that each of these premium materials has something special to offer. All three are keepers!
Mike, I'd agree pretty much spot-on with your assessments. However, I've learned over time to give folks just general guidelines to tone and feel. Just so many variables -- guitar, strings, setup, action, playing style, etc. But all things being equal, I'm in line with you on this.

scott
Old 03-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumNSing View Post
Ok, folks, I'm ready to take the plunge. Have you?!

I will be ordering BOTH a BlueChip Pick AND a Charmed Life Pick.

Here's what I currently use:
Dunlop (standard teardrop) Primetone (non-grip) .96 & 1.0
Dunlop (standard teardrop) Gator .96 & 1.14
Wegen (large triangle) TF120 (1.2)

I really like the control of the large triangle, but I'm fine with the standard teardrop shape as well.

I'm mostly a chord strummer/ singer, but I also like to pick out individual strings within a chord while I sing.

Right now I'm leaning toward a BC TAD40 or TD40.
Those that have taken this plunge: what are you using and liking? TP, TAD, TPR, etc.? What about from CL? Perhaps NTF? What sizes have you tried and compared?

(And if I'm missing a company/ pick I should consider, please include that as well).
Yeah. I'm committed to Blue Chips and I strongly recommend TADs
I use TAD40s (=1 m/m) for smaller guitars w. light gauge strings, andv TAD50s (1.25 m/m) for dreads with mediums.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:15 PM

So I must admit that even though I've been playing guitar for around 15 years, I've just ventured down the rabbit hole of thicker picks and different picks in the last year. I just played medium Taylor picks for ever and was ok with that. Then I tried an Ultex sharp and was blown away. I have them in 1.14, 2.0 and really like them. When I bought my Koa Taylor, I tried Gator Grips to tone down the brightness and I really like them too. I've recently bought some Wegen Bluegrass picks and I like them too, but I'm still trying to figure out the tone and if they're really my thing. I've heard lots of good about Primetones and that they're fantastic picks. So here's my question. What, realistically, will a CL or BC pick give me that makes them worth the big money. I don't play lots of gigs anymore, mainly church on Sunday mornings, some local coffee shop gigs and bluegrass festivals. Are those picks that much better to warrant spending the extra money? Not trying to get anyone riled up or cause an argument. I really want to know before I order some primetones to try.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnez13 View Post
Allow me to throw a curve and suggest another company and a slightly different route. Take a look at Gravity Picks, specifically their acrylic picks. These picks are around $5 each rather than over $20 each. When I went down the pick rabbit hole a couple years ago, I ordered several picks from Gravity with different sizes, shapes, thickness, grip hole options, etc. That allowed me to experiment and determine the the size, shape, thickness, etc. that I like and worked for me. I then stepped up to the premium picks based on understanding my preferences. I would recommend trying picks you think are too small/large and too thick/thin to really determine your sweet spot with pick selection. I was surprised when I liked a smaller pick size than I had previously used.

Good luck on the search. It's actually a lot of fun trying out new picks.
I tried a few and hated them. To clicky for me. I have a Blue Chip TD60 and TD100 that I love, but now I want to order one of Scott's CL picks in 2.0mm to try.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-07-2019, 04:55 PM

I’ve got a bunch of BCs and, other than mandolin or electric, don’t use them much on acoustic. My taste leaned more toward the TD60 and CT55. I stareted with 35s and 40s and they sounded thin to me. That same thing happened with the thicker BCs as I got into the super thick Wegens. I now use those 350, 425, and 500 in teardrop and triangle, depending on the guitar. But I’m in love with the tone I can coax with those things. But it’s all so subjective. Tone production is very personal.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 PM

Smile

OK, here is my take on bevels for what ever it is worth (you aren't paying anything for my opinion, so it's probably worth nothing).

Personally, I don't find them of much benefit on picks below 1 mm. I get about the same tone with or without, and in some cases even too bright with a bevel on thin picks and I am picky on tone.

To me the sweet spot in picks is around 1.15 to 1.2 mm for single line flat picking. At that thickness I really like a good clean (sharp) bevel. I have put bevels on about every pick know to man if it didn't have one so I'm kinda picky about how it's done. To be perfectly honest, I don't like many picks above 2 mm even with a good bevel, but that's probably just a cranky old man talking.

I create bevels with sand paper. I feel I can control the angle better. Here I show how I cut a bevel on a 2.5 mm Dunlop Flow pick.

The first picture shows how I hold the pick. You can see the sanding marks in the paper that I scribe the cut in an ark. I hold the pick at about a 40 degree angle to the sandpaper. I start with 400 wet or dry (the black stuff) then to 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit.

The next picture shows the bevel after sanding. I polish the bevel with automotive rubbing compound. I really like the System 51 products. They cut fast and are water based so no odor.

I polish the bevel with a cloth drum in a Dremel. I use both Step one followed by the Step 2 Compound. I just apply a small amount of compound to the pick. You don't want to use a lot of pressure on the drum as it can burn the pick.

The last picture shows the finished bevel, and then tossed it in the pick jar, because I don't like thick picks (I think I already said that).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (51.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (28.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0490.jpg (44.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0493.jpg (33.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0495.jpg (23.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Portlandplayer; 03-07-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Smile

And now my favorite pick (today). It's a casein that I made. It's just a hair under 1.2 mm. I really like to have two or three casein picks down to about .8 mm. If I want a brighter attack, or the strings are old, I just grab a thinner pick. Saves on string changes.

Notice the nice sharp bevel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0512.jpg (24.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (28.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:03 PM

I've experimented with a lot of picks the last 2-3 months, including many recommended here. My favorite by a significant margin is the Gravity Gold series. (Not a fan of their acrylic ones.)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been saying for years that the Gravity Golds are excellent picks and a superb value. In fact, they're under-priced. I know this because we personally tested that material in the field for a long period of time with dozens of our prototype players. My decision not to move forward had nothing to do with the quality of the material, which is close to as good as what we or anyone else sells. As a small shop, we have to choose our spots carefully, and this didn't fit into our overall marketing plan, at least not now. Also, the market has led us to become much more a casein house than anything else. I'm following the market. I didn't see that when we started, but I do now.

Anyway, I always play it straight. If someone other than us makes good picks using premium materials, I've never hesitated to recommend that product. Honesty is a good way to live one's life, folks, the best way, and has its own rewards. I lay my head on the pillow every night knowing that I've conducted myself in the world in a way my father would be proud of. That means more to me than short-term profits, or market penetration, or any of that crap. Again, honesty is its own best reward.

So yes, everyone should jump on some Gravity Golds, before they go up in price.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 03-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
So I must admit that even though I've been playing guitar for around 15 years, I've just ventured down the rabbit hole of thicker picks and different picks in the last year. I just played medium Taylor picks for ever and was ok with that. Then I tried an Ultex sharp and was blown away. I have them in 1.14, 2.0 and really like them. When I bought my Koa Taylor, I tried Gator Grips to tone down the brightness and I really like them too. I've recently bought some Wegen Bluegrass picks and I like them too, but I'm still trying to figure out the tone and if they're really my thing. I've heard lots of good about Primetones and that they're fantastic picks. So here's my question. What, realistically, will a CL or BC pick give me that makes them worth the big money. I don't play lots of gigs anymore, mainly church on Sunday mornings, some local coffee shop gigs and bluegrass festivals. Are those picks that much better to warrant spending the extra money? Not trying to get anyone riled up or cause an argument. I really want to know before I order some primetones to try.
TN, did you ever go further one this?

To answer your question: The absolute most important thing about doing these kinds of experiments with a company that has a fair and generous return policy. The good ones all do. If you don't see it in writing on their website, by all means you should have it in writing on a return email. Otherwise, I wouldn't order from them.

Sorry this advice is late. This thread just popped up again.

Happy Hunting,
Scott Memmer
Old 06-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
StrumNSing, so it's come to this. There is no help now for you, brother.

Part of your decision may come down to the thickness you want. A number of vendors do different things with thickness, so this could be a determining factor. Frankly, I'd rather you hear recommendations from the other members here vs. me or another pick vendor who may have a vested interest in selling one model or material over the other.

If I can be of service, please PM me here or email direct at charmedlifepicks @ gmail. BTW, on the board here, as most folks know, I'm just as likely to recommend BC or RB or EML or even Dunlop, as it's my job to know the marketplace, and I'm always more interested in people finding the best pick for their playing, whatever the brand.

FYI, you would probably get more and better responses if you changed your subject line to read something like, "I'm ready to take the plunge. (PICKS), BC, CLP, EML -- I need your advice." Just a thought.

Best to You,
Scott
I haven't bought a pick from Scott to date but I intend to, simply because of the way he responds to inquiries regarding picks.

This is the type of businessman that I want to support!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion