The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 PM

Default Wartime Harmony

This is one of those orphan show up at the door in a basket with a note kinda guitars. It is badged Sonata but is definitely Harmony built. Has a S-43 date stamp and one of those funky wood tailpieces that Harmony used when their source of metal dried up. The guitar definitely has its issues but it did not take a lot of work to put it on the road. It is a surprisingly good playing guitar. All birch but the top has about the best graining job I have ever seen. It even had me fooled at first look. While the last thing I need is another one of these el cheapo chic sweeties, I figure the Kluson bent tab tuners alone are worth the price of admission on this one.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:36 AM

When I was taking lessons in the early-60's, those guitars sold under the Harmony name for $27 brand-new; as you said they could be very good-sounding guitars - and just about every kid and his cousin Angelo at the local music school had one. The one that stands out in my mind is the faux curly-maple blonde finish - there was a girl (a bit older than me) who was a killer rhythm player who had one, and she could cut through any mix with no problem...
Old 08-27-2016, 09:13 AM

Harmonys were, as they say, the "people's guitars." These instruments launched countless numbers of folks on their musical journey. But we all went through that phase where they were no longer good enough and we just had to get a Martin or a Gibson. In the past 10 years or so though players have been rediscovering these along with Kays and others.

I have seen Sonata badged guitars before but have never been able to figure out who they were made for.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:29 AM

The thread title is a perfect oxymoron.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Great guitar. Glad its in good hands. Wish I could try it!

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops