The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Default Prime Tone Picks by Dunlop

Bought some 1.0 mm Prime Tone picks by Dunlop, the non-grip ones

the poor man's BC - but seriously, they are sweet - a BC-TD 40 knock-off

the BC-TD 40 is stiffer, duller sounding whereas the PT is brighter, less stiff - love 'em

seriously good picks for a seriously good price
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM

I've got the 1.5 mm rounded triangle version. I had to increase the bevel but I agree. Great picks.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 PM

I got the standard 1.0 and 1.5. Very nice!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:21 PM

I got some to try and found them promising. I did not like the embossing they used to create extra grip. It was just too much and I found it distracting. I just ordered some smooth finish ones to try. I did find it necessary to re-bevel them but that is true of almost all production picks. Potentially, I think they could be about as good a Wegens.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:32 PM

I've become very happy with my 1.4 triangle Primetones. Great little picks! Good thick tone with them, and super easy to flatpick with. I need to try the 1.0 for the change up.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I've been using them for a few months now and I really like them. The 0.88 ones work the best for me. I wish they had the triangles in thinner gauges, but the teardrops work fine. I like the embossed ones because they don't slide around in my hand.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of BC picks - I use the large triangles TADs - and prefer TAD-40 (1.00 m/m) and, mainly TAD50 (1.25 m/m) speed bevels, but I have a TAD60 (1.5 m/m) for 12 string.

I don't agree that BCs are dull, but they do combine clean, bright tone but also with warmth. Of course one might not always want this, depending on your ear, your music, and the tone qualities of your guitars.

I have Wegen TF140s which bring out the treble of my Martin D12-20, but I have recenty obtaned two types of Dunlop Primetomes - both 1.5 m/m large triangles - one pair are in dull opaque brown, like BCs,and another set of three in a translucent amber colour with embossed details for grip.

If you want no flexibility and harsh brightness then the Primetones are good, and I'l use them onmy 12 string and on my National Estralita, but not on my flat-tops.

Something I don't understand is that according to their website the thickest offered are 1.4 m/m but both types of mine clearly state 1.5 m/m - I don't suppose it makes a lot of differnce but its confusing.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 07-26-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:38 PM

I tried the .96 and liked it very much.
So is is the Primetone the poor man's
Bluechip, or is the Bluechip an overpriced version
Of a Primetone?
I don't know the answer
Old 07-26-2015, 04:13 PM

I discovered these for myself recently. I really like the 1.0 teardrop. The ones I bought have a textured grip.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have Wegen TF140s which bring out the treble of my Martin D12-20, but I have recenty obtaned two types of Dunlop Primetomes - both 1.5 m/m large triangles - one pair are in dull opaque brown, like BCs,and another set of three in a translucent amber colour with embossed details for grip.

If you want no flexibility and harsh brightness then the Primetones are good
Well doesn't everybody want harsh brightness?

But seriously, I am surprised that you find the Primetones harshly bright if you like Wegens.

I like the Primetones. I like the 1.4 triangles with the embossing...provides a nice grip.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I like the 1.5 teardrop embossed versions.

Tried a couple of different Blue Chips, and they all sound muffled on my guitars. Also tried some Wegen Bluegrass, and they were way too bright.

I've also been trying a Wegen 3.5mm Gypsy Jazz for the past couple of weeks. I like the tone and projection, but it has a bit to much pick chirp for me.

These things seem to hit the sweet spot for me and my guitars (YMMV). The price is very good, especially when compared to Wegen and BC.

D
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 AM

I've thus far avoided the $25-$50 per flatpick investment, mostly based on my own satisfaction but also on the volume of reviews that put Blue Chips, Red Bears, etc marginally....sometimes.....on some instruments....preferable to Wegens. After fairly extensive cheaper pick trials, I'd mostly settled on Wegen Bluegrass 1.4s & 1.2s for guitars & M150s for mando, but lately have been using a TF140 for both, mostly guitar.

I've recently tried Primetone 1.4 & 1.5 smooth large triangles (guitar) and 1.4? rounded/embossed triangles (mando). I find myself using the 1.4 triangle as much as the TF140 and at the first (pretty sweaty) jam I played, I noticed the brown, smooth triangles stayed put in my hand like no other pick I've played. A lot like people describe the tackiness of Blue Chips. I know it's not the same stuff, but I like 'em a lot. It supposedly is just a different color of Ultex, but the brown picks feel & sound different to me...maybe it's just a function of the thickness??
Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Picked the Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
I've recently tried Primetone 1.4 & 1.5 smooth large triangles (guitar) and 1.4? rounded/embossed triangles (mando). I find myself using the 1.4 triangle as much as the TF140 and at the first (pretty sweaty) jam I played, I noticed the brown, smooth triangles stayed put in my hand like no other pick I've played.
I have been using the Primetone Standard w/Grip in the 1.0 gauge. I tried the 1.3 and 1.5, but didn't like them. I was inspired by your post to try the 1.4 Triangle w/Grip, and I'm liking it. It fits my grip a little better than the Standard. It's the largest pick I've ever used!

I paid $8 for three from Amazon. Some feel that it's too much to pay for a pick, but a glass of decent wine in a saloon can cost that much. It's cheaper trying new picks than new guitars!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:35 AM

I have been using the Primetone non grip triangles in 1.4 mm for a while and love them on my D18. I ordered some grip ones and just didn't like the feel at all. But for the money, I'd be hard pressed to find a pick that works better for my strumming style and flat picking. Seriously great pick for the money.

Really liking Dunlop Ultex 1.0 triangles on my Larrivee too!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 AM

I think the thick triangle 1.4 are a very good substitute for Blue Chip. I love my Blue Chip TPs and STPs but there are times when I don't want to be using a $35 pick. And in those times I haven't found better than the Primetone. To me the only noticeable difference is slightly more pick noise and they don't have that sticky feel that a Blue Chip does. I don't find them to be much brighter - timbre is darn close to BC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion