The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoelefp69 View Post
Tom. I'll bet you pay next to no duty/customs charges using USPS/Canada Post... I paid $130 in customs/taxes yesterday, when my 5iM was delivered by UPS... ouch !... but, our taxes are higher here on PEI...

Yes, please post pics of that tobacco beauty when it arrives !...
You shouldn't pay any duty at all do to the NAFTA agreement. I actually called customs once to ask them this question. They said if it was made in the States and it's being shipped here (Canada), there's no duty. Local sales tax of course is another issue, as you mentioned.

Do you have to pay both Federal and Provincial Tax??? I thought it was just Federal. Still, on a $1500 guitar you'd be paying $75 in tax alone.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Tommy...is this the replacement one you've been waiting for? I hope you get it soon and are happy with it. I grow fonder every time I pick mine up. What an amazing instrument.

Something cool I have noticed is that any guitar I have ever played, including a $6K Goodall that I had...when you capo up say to the fifth fret it always seems to deaden the strings a bit and lose sustain. This has not been so with the 7i. All the way up there capoed, it sounds just like it does with no capo at all. Lots of individual string sustain. Always spot on in tune. That's has impressed me a great deal about this guitar among many other virtues.

Jim B
Yes Jim, this is another one (unblemished) that Mike got in. Glad to hear that the sounf rings true with a capo. I've also noticed this on the Cargo, whereas even my Taylor 814c doesn't ring as true when capoed.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhoelefp69 View Post
Tom. I'll bet you pay next to no duty/customs charges using USPS/Canada Post... I paid $130 in customs/taxes yesterday, when my 5iM was delivered by UPS... ouch !... but, our taxes are higher here on PEI...

Yes, please post pics of that tobacco beauty when it arrives !...
Kevin, I know there will be no duty/customs charges due to NAFTA. What you probably paid are UPS brokerage fees. The USPS/Canada Post fees are much less. Other threads have discussed this, that's why I opted for USPS/CP. I will have to pay GST, but I'm not yet sure about PST (Quebec).
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott E Worby View Post
You shouldn't pay any duty at all do to the NAFTA agreement. I actually called customs once to ask them this question. They said if it was made in the States and it's being shipped here (Canada), there's no duty. Local sales tax of course is another issue, as you mentioned.

Do you have to pay both Federal and Provincial Tax??? I thought it was just Federal. Still, on a $1500 guitar you'd be paying $75 in tax alone.
Elliot, you're right about duty. GST is for sure, still not certain about PST.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber