The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Default You’re a cruel man Alistair Hay...

I watched with great excitement when I saw there was a new Emerald shipping video posted...until I realized (duh!) that it was for THIS Friday’s shipment, not last Friday’s.

I have ordered a custom paint job X7 that shipped last week. It depicts a landscape/seascape scene of the place dearest to me in all the world...the Na Pali coast of Kauai, where my grandparents’ (and one day my mom’s, and my) will be scattered.

Alistair has been wonderful, as has the artist and entire Emerald team. But what a tease they have been! They won’t allow me to see photos of it in advance, and have ordered me that I cannot open the box until it is done live with them on video chat, as he says he wants to see my reaction. He even warned he would know if I did and retaped the box. I did tell him he was crazy - if it comes tomorrow there is no way I am waiting until the factory re-opens on Monday to open that box!!

So last week they didn’t do a shipping video, but there was a live jam shown on Facebook. And if I am not mistaken, it could have been my guitar’s blue/green headstock behind Franck in the video. Then this week they did the shipping video and I got all excited seeing a hint of blue paint over his shoulder, but alas, not mine.

I leave town for three weeks next Saturday, so I am keeping my fingers (even legs and eyes) crossed that it comes in the next seven days. The last tracking shows it left Heathrow on the 11th, no updates since. It should come soon. But then a new level of torture would begin where I sit with an unopened box until the factory opens the next morning so he can see me open it.

I have gotten to know Alistair through interviewing him for the book we are working on together, and I really like him, but have to say, all this torture has led me to believe that leprechaun is rather wicked.

Note: I should point out that this is completely tongue-in-cheek, Alistair is actually a terrific guy.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 02-16-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Thumbs up

Interesting story! Tell us what you did (in a few days time)? Not sure if Alistair will be reading this thread...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

"Rather wicked"? With your forum name, would this be a case of... takes one to know one.

Hope this new one is all you hope for... and worth that "wicked" wait. Congrats on the incoming surprise!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Not sure where you are located, but mine left Heathrow on the 10th and arrived in AZ 4 days later. with no updates from the USPS at all. I hope that helps and I can't wait to sea your guitar.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM
Guest 928

Wicked;

Hurry up. And wait.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:37 AM

My last few got to AZ in 4 days... prolly cause I didn't call him a cruel man... silly me... so yours should be here in a month or less...hope this helps. Ill ask him to send me a photo of it so I can see if I approve.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
I watched with great excitement when I saw there was a new Emerald shipping video posted...until I realized (duh!) that it was for THIS Friday’s shipment, not last Friday’s.

I have ordered a custom paint job X7 that shipped last week. It depicts a landscape/seascape scene of the place dearest to me in all the world...the Na Pali coast of Kauai, where my grandparents’ (and one day my mom’s, and my) will be scattered.

Alistair has been wonderful, as has the artist and entire Emerald team. But what a tease they have been! They won’t allow me to see photos of it in advance, and have ordered me that I cannot open the box until it is done live with them on video chat, as he says he wants to see my reaction. He even warned he would know if I did and retaped the box. I did tell him he was crazy - if it comes tomorrow there is no way I am waiting until the factory re-opens on Monday to open that box!!

So last week they didn’t do a shipping video, but there was a live jam shown on Facebook. And if I am not mistaken, it could have been my guitar’s blue/green headstock behind Franck in the video. Then this week they did the shipping video and I got all excited seeing a hint of blue paint over his shoulder, but alas, not mine.

I leave town for three weeks next Saturday, so I am keeping my fingers (even legs and eyes) crossed that it comes in the next seven days. The last tracking shows it left Heathrow on the 11th, no updates since. It should come soon. But then a new level of torture would begin where I sit with an unopened box until the factory opens the next morning so he can see me open it.

I have gotten to know Alistair through interviewing him for the book we are working on together, and I really like him, but have to say, all this torture has led me to believe that leprechaun is rather wicked.

Note: I should point out that this is completely tongue-in-cheek, Alistair is actually a terrific guy.
That's okay you should leave it in the box to let it acclimatize for a few days before opening anyway.....hehehehe... sorry couldn't resist.

Todd in Chicago
Old 02-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

The Eagle has landed.

Haha and Alistair sent me this...so Monday afternoon it is.

I told him okay...just for you. He even said “it is cruel but it is worth it!”

I am at my mom’s house all day Monday so I’ll drag the box over there and open it in front of her computer - kept in her office, aka the cat’s “bedroom.” So that should make for a great background. Hopefully my “brother” doesn’t give everyone a butt shot during the live feed.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Looks like you may need to sell that X7 Nylon to make room for the new one? Do you have my number? Enjoy the Grand Opening !
Old 02-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Guest 928

Wicked;

You have a beautiful collection. Well worth the waiting, congratulations.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM

I have a lot of those boxes too for some reason. I opened mine.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Looks like you may need to sell that X7 Nylon to make room for the new one? Do you have my number? Enjoy the Grand Opening !
Haha, nope, keeping the nylon. I am selling the koa X7 though...just emailed the fella that had dibs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Wicked;

You have a beautiful collection. Well worth the waiting, congratulations.
Thank you!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 PM

The Na Pali coast of Kauai is a beautiful location. Looking forward towards the unveiling of your new X7!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:26 PM

My old school X7 pretending to by in Hawaii whilst actually near Sedona...

And here actually on Kauai.....

Old 02-17-2019, 03:06 PM

You must have some really hard working Guitars if they get to vacation in Hawaii [emoji16]
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber