The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Red-eye/Session/Venue

Listen to
https://soundcloud.com/user-44394789...-session-venue

Hey guys,

So, by luck of some sweet deals, I got a Fire Eye Red Eye preamp, LR Baggs Session, and Baggs Venue DI. The Session and Red Eye just came in the mail today. So...
I recorded a super quick mostly useless comparison because things aren't set up evenly. It's just what I thought sounded decent at a very quick set up meant for personal use. I still thought I would share it though if it happens to interest anyone else as well.

The order is always:
1: Red-eye
2: session
3: venue
Old 02-15-2019, 08:29 PM

I also just realized that this prolly should have gone in the acoustic amplification section... Sorry about that.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 PM

In order of preference for me. RedEye, Venue, and a distant third, Session.

The RedEye sound the most detailed, with a nice bottom. The Venue sounded a little louder and fuller(gain adjustment?), but lacked the spatial quality of the RedEye.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:52 PM

What pickup are you using?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 PM

I am using a Martin DM with an LR Baggs Anthem into a Baggs Align EQ. The preamps were all recorded via XLR to a Boss BR600 with no post processing.

I did this test super quick, so gain is not staged equally, and I believe a better sound will be able to be achieved via each once I have time to mess with them. Hopefully then I can post a more scientific comparison.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:18 AM

When using the Redeye, can you use the 1\4" output to amp or sound system, or do you have to use the balanced output ?
When using a under saddle pickup ?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post
I am using a Martin DM with an LR Baggs Anthem into a Baggs Align EQ. The preamps were all recorded via XLR to a Boss BR600 with no post processing.

I did this test super quick, so gain is not staged equally, and I believe a better sound will be able to be achieved via each once I have time to mess with them. Hopefully then I can post a more scientific comparison.
Thanks, just curious.
I use a Red-eye Twin. Great preamp!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Nice comparo.

For me, the Session had that typical "electric" sound to it; not horrible or unusable, but certainly not genuinely good to my ears.

The RedEye and Venue were both good, and depending on the clip, I could have gone with either. In the big-strumming demo, the Venue sounded a bit nasally, as if the upper mids could use a but of tailoring. Still, both were nice to my ears.

And this, btw, is where a parametric EQ is invaluable, IMHO. The ability to sweep for the frequency you want to attenuate is golden! And the Venue has two sweep-eq bands (but others like the FishmanPro at least has one), where "nasal" --often the nemesis of good acoustic tone when amp'd-- can be addressed. I like the RedEye's tone. But for versatility, I'd personally always opt for a likewise good-sounding DI with at least one sweep-eq band.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion