The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Default What a concert!

Went to see Steve Winwood last night. He's a true music icon and his musicianship was on full display last night! His fantastic touring band was super tight, and the mix was outstanding and sounded SO GOOD! Classic after classic for over 2-hours just weaving through his entire career... But, the highlight for me was the encore. It began with just Steve on acoustic guitar, his flutist, and an accompanying vocalist (Lilly Winwood, Steve's daughter, who also opened the show), performing a fabulous rendition of “John Barleycorn”. That was followed by a killer version of “Dear Mr. Fantasy” with Steve tastefully tearing it up on an epic solo with his trusty Strat. And he closed the encore and the evening at the keyboards with a rousing performance of “Gimme Some Lovin”. Great show, great venue (Cleveland's Playhouse Square State Theater), great evening...

This is not from my show, but the same performance...enjoy!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Musical minimalist

One of the most talented and well preserved rockers. Those guys that are fluent on keys and guitar really are impressive (like Jackson Browne)

There are a few YT concerts I play regularly for my clients - one is a Traffic from '94 Woodstock, and the other is a Winwood from '13 in Lugano. Good stuff - glad you got to see him.

He was right here in Midland a few years ago but I couldn't make it.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 AM

This solo version kills!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Saw him last September. His show made me think what Traffic would sound like now if they were still a group. They kicked off the show with an extended opening of I'm a Man that took the audience awhile before we figured out what song it was. His arrangements of some of the songs was refreshing and breathed new life into his songs. Best song of the night Was Walking In the Wind. Great show, great musician.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-07-2018, 01:41 PM

I saw him live about three years ago and had the same reaction as you. I had forgotten how many hits he has had over his career.
Sounds like he is touring with the same band. I was impressed with the level of talent he had on stage.
His vocals are still strong too. He can still hit those high notes, and as far as I could tell he was playing in the same key as the original recordings.
Definitely worth going to see if he is in your area.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Saw him in San Diego last year. Best show I saw all year and his voice sounded as good a ever to me.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Hi

We are going to see Steve Winwood in Hyde Park this July - he, along with Carlos Santana are supporting Eric Clapton.

Should be some gig!

Rich

Last edited by Dronfield; 03-07-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN