The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

No interst in this doodad.

I have the small planet waves digi tuners on the headstock of each guitar. Works for me. (plus a stock of CR2032s in the toolbox).
Old 02-17-2019, 06:49 AM

$179 Canadian!!!

No thanks, that's just nuts.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post
I've gotten by for years tunning my old Martin 12 string with a tuning fork (440 A) and my ears. Once I got the E string in tune the rest of the strings just fall in place. Maybe this is a lost art?????
I used this same for many years, but it's useless for some alternate tunings. The reason I like the Roadie is I use about 8 different tunings and find it easy to just pop it on and go to that tuning on the device, rather than remember each string's tuning and how to get there. Lazy? Yeah maybe.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Neat little gizmo. Senses vibration, what happens if a tuning head screw gets loose or a gear is worn?

Think I'll stick with my free Guitar Tuna app if I need to be exact(ish). Or just go old school by matching notes to strings.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 PM

I’ve got the roadie 2. It’s brilliant at what it does. As others have said, if you often switch between tunings and guitars then it saves a lot of time, especially in a live setting.

I understand folks who don’t need to tune so often thinking it’s overkill, however, if you do switch Tuning a lot, I personally would highly recommend the roadie 2
Old 02-17-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreamer View Post
I’ve got the roadie 2. It’s brilliant at what it does. As others have said, if you often switch between tunings and guitars then it saves a lot of time, especially in a live setting.

I understand folks who don’t need to tune so often thinking it’s overkill, however, if you do switch Tuning a lot, I personally would highly recommend the roadie 2
How much time does it save though as opposed to just doing it yourself? I honestly don't see where the time saving is... not trying to be difficult.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-18-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
How much time does it save though as opposed to just doing it yourself? I honestly don't see where the time saving is... not trying to be difficult.
It's a good question Rob.

To me its because you select the tuning you want, place the device on the peg then just pluck the string a few times and its there in a matter of seconds. I guess in theory, there maybe some tuning champions out there who are that quick, but I'm not one of them

It also frees you up to do other things such as chat to the audience or think about the next song etc. At times it needs a little fine tuning by ear, but generally its pretty darn close to where you want to be.

Out of interest, have you tried one? I've been a little surprised by the defensiveness of some players around the roadie. I get that its expensive and also that its perfectly possible to tune by ear or using an existing tuner. I do those things too and am not entirely reliant on the new technology, however, I do feel it a fantastic tool for certain times and people should give it a go before making up their minds

Last edited by pipe dreamer; 02-18-2019 at 01:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion