The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Shoppe Laguna CA

Has anyone had any success negotiating prices with them? They don’t seem to be willing to do 40% below msrp for a Martin. Wondering what others have experienced with respect to their willingness to reduce prices. Thanks
--------
Past: Bourgeois JOMC; Collings OM2T & CJ; Larrivee LV-05; Lowden O-50c, F-50c & F-35c; Martin CS 00c; RainSong V-WX1000; Taylor 814ce, 512e & T5
Old 08-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I've been in the shop a few times but have never tried to purchase from them so not sure how willing they are to haggle. That said I've seen a number of people mention that dealers aren't as willing to haggle on Martin's right now because of low inventory with the factory shutting down. Guessing it could be that way for a while as Martin tries to get caught up. In your shoes I'd reach out to some forum sponsors or other shops that have the guitar you're looking for to see what kind of price they can offer in comparison.

Another thing to consider is that not every Martin will be offered at 40% MSRP even in the best of times. For instance, 15 and 17 series guitars can usually be had for around 30-35% off MSRP because of their lower overall price.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:36 PM

That is my favorite guitar shop. I've purchased a few guitars there over the years. They have never been willing to negotiate price on my Taylors and unfortunately each time they had exactly the one I wanted and couldn't find it elsewhere. You might ask if they will include new strings and a set up. They are excellent for acoustic setup. As a last result call and ask for Kirk Sand, the owner and plead for mercy. Good luck.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
That is my favorite guitar shop. I've purchased a few guitars there over the years. They have never been willing to negotiate price on my Taylors and unfortunately each time they had exactly the one I wanted and couldn't find it elsewhere. You might ask if they will include new strings and a set up. They are excellent for acoustic setup. As a last result call and ask for Kirk Sand, the owner and plead for mercy. Good luck.
So they only sell for 100% of MSRP?
--------
Past: Bourgeois JOMC; Collings OM2T & CJ; Larrivee LV-05; Lowden O-50c, F-50c & F-35c; Martin CS 00c; RainSong V-WX1000; Taylor 814ce, 512e & T5
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Some unsolicited advice that is, as such, gratuitous: You live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. I've spent a lot of time out there for business/pleasure over the years. Just buy the guitar and chill by the beach. OC is fantastic and life is short! Who cares about a couple of hundred dollars you can save in the long run if you've found the ONE locally and can enjoy it every day in la-la land?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:31 PM

Cool shop with a killer beach a couple blocks away!
Also, go grab some lunch at Rasta Tacos while you are down there!!
Scott
Old 08-07-2020, 10:32 PM

Sorry, but I’m a terrible haggler.

Scott
Old 08-08-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
Some unsolicited advice that is, as such, gratuitous: You live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. I've spent a lot of time out there for business/pleasure over the years. Just buy the guitar and chill by the beach. OC is fantastic and life is short! Who cares about a couple of hundred dollars you can save in the long run if you've found the ONE locally and can enjoy it every day in la-la land?
SoCal is indeed beautiful but seriously expensive. That's how dealers get away with selling at top prices. A couple of hundred is a big deal to some people. I mean a person can get a tankful of gasoline out here for that kind of money.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
SoCal is indeed beautiful but seriously expensive. That's how dealers get away with selling at top prices. A couple of hundred is a big deal to some people. I mean a person can get a tankful of gasoline out here for that kind of money.
They "get away with" selling at prices that allow them to stay in business in that seriously expensive area.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
They "get away with" selling at prices that allow them to stay in business in that seriously expensive area.
True but LA Guitars is also in a very expensive area and is happy to discount if asked by AGF members. But they are also a higher volume shop so I guess it's a different business model.
--------
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
I don't live in CA and it's not a couple hundred, it's a $1,700 difference. But I don't begrudge them one bit for whatever their approach is to discounting. I know they are a smaller shop and need a certain profit to keep the lights on so I'm happy to pay more. I just wanted to see if there is any intel out there before I call them to talk about it.
--------
Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Sorry, but I’m a terrible haggler.

Scott
In that case please PM me the next time you are looking to buy and I'll make you a "killer deal"!! Haha but seriously - that probably just means you're a nice person!
--------
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 AM

Last time I was there they had a lot of guitars and I had some fun in their repair shop. I think, at least all the ones I played, all the guitars had dead strings or maybe they just were. They sounded good playing blues but not American Fingerstyle. I would love to go there again soon.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 AM

The Guitar Shoppe in Laguna is my main shop for all things guitar - know pretty much all the guys there.

They don't negotiate much if at all on things priced. You might be able to make an offer on a consignment but that's about it.
Kirk, Ben and all have been there for many years doing doing their personalized style of business - and that's just the way it is.
They are not a discount operation and, they stay very, very busy.

Bite the bullet and become a customer.
Quality costs a little more - - -

(better to try walking in to one of the art galleries in downtown Laguna and ask for a discount - that aint gonna happen)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

The Guitar Shoppe is my local shop, I'm about 5 minutes away. I use them for repairs/setups, consignment, etc. I'll skip the speculation others have mentioned about how/why they price guitars and just say that I bought a Martin there at 40% off of MSRP.

I'm not sure what Martin you are referring to but just as a quick test I picked a Martin off of their website at random (D-16E) and their listed price of $1699 is the same as Sweetwater and a very well respected forum sponsor here.

I'm hard pressed to understand how there would be a $1700 difference between the same model Martin from Laguna and elsewhere because I just don't see evidence of that. In my experience they sell Martins for the same (or a smidge more) than everybody else but I'm all ears.

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion