The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 AM

Always give a new guitar a few days to a week to settle in before judging. They need to acclimate to your environment. But absolutely, change out the strings.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullp View Post
The action is definitely sky high. I measure 9/64 for the low E at the 12th fret and 7/64 for the high e. Additionally, I need much more pressure to accurately fret a note. My Eastman has a nice low action, 11 gauge strings (the Furch comes with 12s) and a short scale. That might all add up. Also I might miss some of that mahogany midrange.

It is somewhat brighter tone wise, so I got what I wanted. But the difference is not nearly as radical that I would give up the playability of the Eastman.

Maybe I'll try some of the Eastman spruce top offerings.
I think if not much saddle is showing above the bridge you should send it back with those numbers. 9/64 is awfully high and I wonder if there is a problem otherwise. Pics would help.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Upcoming NGD: Furch Vintage 2 OM SR

I know that 80/20 made a big difference for me. Also mine had an alpine top that took quite a few months to open up.

John Pearse, SIT Golden Bronze and EXP 80/20 are some of my favorites

Also take it to a luthier to get set up with a string change that can only help playability.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:32 AM

I'll also say that humidity would be a huge deal. The Hiscox cases are really good at keeping humidity at a good level, but would be good to get some Humidipaks just to make sure you are up to snuff.

The good thing is that it seems like all the stuff you mentioned can be addressed in short order.

1) Luthier puts the action within range
2) Get a change of strings to 80/20 at that same time
3) 2/3 days to make sure the humidity is correct and acclimated to your house.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I'll also say that humidity would be a huge deal. The Hiscox cases are really good at keeping humidity at a good level, but would be good to get some Humidipaks just to make sure you are up to snuff.

The good thing is that it seems like all the stuff you mentioned can be addressed in short order.

1) Luthier puts the action within range
2) Get a change of strings to 80/20 at that same time
3) 2/3 days to make sure the humidity is correct and acclimated to your house.
That is all true. However I'm concerned of having trouble returning it if I still don't like it after a setup that involves sanding down the saddle. I hardly dare to change the strings to another gauge

As with ''opening up'', that's really gambling. Who knows what the outcome will be. I would accept that, if I like the sound and it gets even better after half a year, but coming from doubts of keeping it at all...

Actually it feels rather satisfying that I like my Eastman that much. I expected a different sonic world from a guitar that is nearly four times the money.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
That is all true. However I'm concerned of having trouble returning it if I still don't like it after a setup that involves sanding down the saddle. I hardly dare to change the strings to another gauge

As with ''opening up'', that's really gambling. Who knows what the outcome will be. I would accept that, if I like the sound and it gets even better after half a year, but coming from doubts of keeping it at all...

Actually it feels rather satisfying that I like my Eastman that much. I expected a different sonic world from a guitar that is nearly four times the money.

It also might be you are just a hog guy. It's interesting to me as I would of referred you to a Cedar topped Furch for those fingerstyle.

Maybe a cedar/hog would be more to your ears lol
Old 08-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I have a Furch G25CR cut and just after I bought it, I had my Luthier file the nut groves a bit to make fretting at the first position easier. The groves were a bit shallow (you wear them down over time when you change strings). The playability changed dramatically. It also sounds as if you need a set-up if the string height is as you state. I am completely happy with my Furch and would replace it if something ever happened to it.

Alvarez-Yairi 5065 (1973)
Alvarez-Yairi WY1-TSB
Breedlove Oregon Series Sweetgrass Burst CE (2020)
Furch G25 CR cut (2016)
Guild F-212XL (1982)
Rainsong WS1000 (N1)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:03 PM

There might actually be some issue with the neck. I found marks at the bottom of the the heel. Looks like the neck has lifted a little bit. ( I hope you can all see the image. I can't unfortunately.)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:06 AM

No image. Too bad on the problems. Is there a return period.??
Old 08-08-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
No image. Too bad on the problems. Is there a return period.??
Yes, 60 days money back.

Is ist correct, that i can only post images via a third party hoster?
Old 08-08-2020, 01:46 AM

I made it. See the marks on the binding.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:13 AM

I had a OM32 for several years. Fantastic guitar, impecable build, very clean and phenomenal for the price. Neck was too skinny for me in the end and coupled with the 650mm scale length I found it a but awkward.

Also had an OM33 for a bit which I wish I still had.

I just wish they offered the custom choices on the vintage series like they used too.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 08-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The action is definitely sky high. I measure 9/64 for the low E at the 12th fret and 7/64 for the high e. Additionally, I need much more pressure to accurately fret a note. My Eastman has a nice low action, 11 gauge strings (the Furch comes with 12s) and a short scale. That might all add up. Also I might miss some of that mahogany midrange.

It is somewhat brighter tone wise, so I got what I wanted. But the difference is not nearly as radical that I would give up the playability of the Eastman.

Maybe I'll try some of the Eastman spruce top offerings.
I’ve played dozens of Furch guitars and have never seen a Furch with action that high, new or used. They usually have amazing playability right out of the box. Sounds like there is an issue with the guitar and I would send it back for another Furch guitar, or just get you money back.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion