The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Center Graft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
"I have built with floatwoods before and have been happy with the results"

I can personally arrest to the exceptional look and sound of Mark's ""Floatwood""

To my eye, this is one of your best ( if not the best ) wood combinations you have put together.

daniel
Thanks Daniel, I appreciate your comments!

I used some of the cut offs from the top for the back center graft:

I was able to capture some of the Blue from the top to help make a nice frame for my logo chip:

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-06-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

More beauty Mark!
Old 07-06-2020, 07:00 AM

Default Mea Culpa

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought; oh my, Mark Hatcher is going to make some cheesy colored guitar?! I should have known better...
Your choice of aesthetic palette is extraordinary! Blue wood--who'd a thunk it?!
Mark, your builds are so artistic; I so enjoy your build threads.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Default So cool

..those woods...
I have to admit I fail to see the “blue”... that maybe me, but I get the idea and am very impressed by the level of attention to detail... to frame the logo - which, by what I fail to see properly may also have some blue hues in it - in a backstripe that sets it off in a brighter part and also has the blue... there is nothing without thought, careful planning and execution.
Wonder, if the blue will be accentuated with some finish ?!
A treat to look at either way

Last edited by Lonzo; 07-06-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

That float wood is very cool, Mark--thanks for the back story about it. And the Sapele--wow, another one of nature's gifts. I look forward once again to following this build thread of yours to completion.

Thanks for sharing your process and craftsmanship!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

More awesomeness from Mark. Great story about the float wood! This one should be yet another stunner.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
More beauty Mark!
Thanks Haasome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought; oh my, Mark Hatcher is going to make some cheesy colored guitar?! I should have known better...
Your choice of aesthetic palette is extraordinary! Blue wood--who'd a thunk it?!
Mark, your builds are so artistic; I so enjoy your build threads.
Thanks Naboo, I try to stick with natural colors. I suppose the iron blue may be pushing it a bit but, I’ll have other elements in this guitar that the iron blue came about without human intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..those woods...
I have to admit I fail to see the “blue”... that maybe me, but I get the idea and am very impressed by the level of attention to detail... to frame the logo - which, by what I fail to see properly may also have some blue hues in it - in a backstripe that sets it off in a brighter part and also has the blue... there is nothing without thought, careful planning and execution.
Wonder, if the blue will be accentuated with some finish ?!
A treat to look at either way
Thanks Lonzo, maybe your screen leans a little to the yellow side which eats up the blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That float wood is very cool, Mark--thanks for the back story about it. And the Sapele--wow, another one of nature's gifts. I look forward once again to following this build thread of yours to completion.

Thanks for sharing your process and craftsmanship!
Thanks for commenting Nemoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
More awesomeness from Mark. Great story about the float wood! This one should be yet another stunner.
I hope so!

Thanks all!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 07-07-2020, 04:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Here is how I got the idea.

I got the idea for doing my Red White and Blue guitar from this Amboyna burl that was not only two toned but, also had Blue spalting in it:

A little of it went on the logo chip and it is also going into the rosette:

To take it one step further I worked out a way to use it for the rosette purfling and for around the top:

Here I am removing the teflon place holder so I can bend and install the burl purfling:

Steven Wright
Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 AM

That rosette is stunning Mark!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:05 AM

The rosette is one of the prettiest I have ever seen.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
..there is only one I like at least as much
..wait... there are 2 ;o)

Last edited by Lonzo; 07-07-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default What's Inside the Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..there is only one I like at least as much
..wait... there are 2 ;o)
Thanks Tom and Lonzo!

With the sides bent I'm setting up the internal parts. So what's inside the box?

Inside we have the neck block, end block, and a cut-away wedge. I'd like to talk about these a little bit and get into some detail about what they do and how the can affect the sound, playability, and durability of a guitar.

Obviously, they are support pieces that help hold the guitar together and they create anchor points for attaching the neck and strap buttons.

You will notice that my internal components have very rounded edges. This saves a little bit of weight but acoustically I do this to cut down on the possibility of sound phase distortion. Let me explain my thinking on that:

Here is a chart showing sound wave lengths at different frequencies

The human ear tends to be most sensitive to frequencies between 2000hz and 5000hz. This would fall into highs, trebles and overtones range in guitar speak. They also are what adds definition or crispness to mids and bass.
Notice how small those wave lengths are and know that they have lot's of elbow room to bounce around inside your guitar.
When a sound wave runs into two sharply divided planes it will split and can go out of phase causing distortion. Reducing the incidence of this kind of out of phase distortion can lead to clearer trebles and more cleanly defined mids and bass.

Finally I'd like to talk a little about the end block. Yes, it holds the end pin or pick-up jack and it is a pain in the neck if it splits and that's pretty much all you ever hear about it. There is more, this is one place where additional weight is welcome on an acoustic guitar. First, it helps with playability if it balances out the neck. It can also help with bass response because the lowest notes a guitar can produce come from the entire guitar vibrating from the headstock all the way to the end block so it is best to have the right balance. Finally, weight there increases sustain without affecting response time, sound attack or volume.
You'll also notice that my end block is pillowed, partly for already mentioned reasons but also for other reasons. I don't want the end block to come into any more contact with the top and back than the kerfing does. I want a smooth contact line all the way around. This eliminates stressors that can start cracks in the top and back. It eliminates the top deformation you sometimes see.
Take you thumb and push down on the edge of your guitar top and listen to how it mutes the guitar. That's what an end block does when it extends out into the active surface area of your guitar.

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-08-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mark, I found your comments on the acoustic effects of the internal blocks to be very interesting and helpful. Thanks for posting them. I’ll begin my 44th guitar build at the end of the summer and look forward to incorporating your ideas into it. Thanks, Dave
Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 AM

Mark,

Thank you very much for taking the time to articulate your thoughts behind those small yet not insignificant parts of your builds. That was extremely helpful and thought provoking for me!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Mark, I love these posts because I always learn something. I've considered weight and contact points before, but never wave phasing. Absolutely fascinating. And, as ever, thank you for the fabulous images
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop