The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Recommendation

Can anybody recommend a good online guitar teacher. I am 61 left handed and have only been trying to play for a year. I have come to realize I can't teach myself. Thank you in advance
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I can not, but I think you'll find that being lefty is an advantage. One of the first guys who taught me was a lefty (I'm a righty) and I could directly mirror him.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Take private lessons. It will be a much more personalized approach with good feedback.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 AM

Thanks for your replies, I think I will try to find a private instructor, I never thought about the mirror image thing, might help.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Surprised no one has recommended https://www.justinguitar.com/
I finished his beginner and almost all of his intermediate courses.
Fact, 6 years later I see one of his books on my coffee table now.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 AM

I found a guitar teacher, and the very first thing he said was I needed to learn to play right handed, it would help me in the future he said. I'm 61, my future is now, so he didn't work out. I tried Justin guitar an love it. I started at the beginning, learned a couple things I was doing wrong and plan on continuing. I began learning with a rogue 624 left hand dreadnought, it is a total piece of crap and hampered my attempts to play. I now have a woodsong guitar I purchased online from Adirondack guitars. It's a great little guitar sounds good to me, easy to play and came set up beautifully. Does anybody else have experience with a woodsong? When you can't play guitar it's difficult to walk into a music store and pick up a left hand guitar and know if it's any good. Maybe this guitar is only marginally better. How would I know? Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnjms View Post
I found a guitar teacher, and the very first thing he said was I needed to learn to play right handed, it would help me in the future he said. I'm 61, my future is now, so he didn't work out. I tried Justin guitar an love it. I started at the beginning, learned a couple things I was doing wrong and plan on continuing. I began learning with a rogue 624 left hand dreadnought, it is a total piece of crap and hampered my attempts to play. I now have a woodsong guitar I purchased online from Adirondack guitars. It's a great little guitar sounds good to me, easy to play and came set up beautifully. Does anybody else have experience with a woodsong? When you can't play guitar it's difficult to walk into a music store and pick up a left hand guitar and know if it's any good. Maybe this guitar is only marginally better. How would I know? Any thoughts?
I'm left-handed and started as an older player. I'm glad you haven't fallen into the you-should-play-right-handed thing. I've had my eye on a Woodsong. Glad to hear you like it. I am all for getting a guitar that sounds good to you. If the Woodsong does, then use it till it doesn't. Imo, if it's easy to play, has no buzzes, and sounds good to you, it's good. I experiment with strings a lot and, honestly, some of them are so different, it's like having a new guitar. Leftyfrets is a good site for finding the next guitar, if you need a next one. Southpaw in Houston is my mecca for trying and buying.

Andyguitar is also a good beginner online teacher, imo, better for some things, especially rhythm. I like Justin a lot, but just don't care for the way he has students practice chord changes they won't use and not crazy about some of his fingering. He's great for songs, though, and so likeable and easy to follow.

I taught myself online from knowing NOTHING to being able to understand theory and play happily in about a year and half, so feel free to PM questions and such if you like.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I'm left-handed and started as an older player. I'm glad you haven't fallen into the you-should-play-right-handed thing. I've had my eye on a Woodsong. Glad to hear you like it. I am all for getting a guitar that sounds good to you. If the Woodsong does, then use it till it doesn't. Imo, if it's easy to play, has no buzzes, and sounds good to you, it's good. I experiment with strings a lot and, honestly, some of them are so different, it's like having a new guitar. Leftyfrets is a good site for finding the next guitar, if you need a next one. Southpaw in Houston is my mecca for trying and buying.

Andyguitar is also a good beginner online teacher, imo, better for some things, especially rhythm. I like Justin a lot, but just don't care for the way he has students practice chord changes they won't use and not crazy about some of his fingering. He's great for songs, though, and so likeable and easy to follow.

I taught myself online from knowing NOTHING to being able to understand theory and play happily in about a year and half, so feel free to PM questions and such if you like.
Thanks! SunnyDee!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write