The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 06:47 AM

In my Acoustic Remedy case they use a block of cork to cushion the back of the guitar. 1 or 2 inches thick, about 4 inches long.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:04 AM

If I hung my guitars I would go overboard. I would build a frame that the guitar would fit in. A plywood back covered with thin foam and felt. Put the hanger on it in the appropriate location. Then hang it on the wall.

Put i keep them in cases.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-08-2020, 07:12 AM

Default Looking for ideas on how to protect guitars hanging on wall

I keep them out on the wall but with a chair in the way, and high enough that a kid jumping into the chair won’t slam it back into the guitar. I try hard not to make the guitars ‘hands off’, I want them to jam with me someday. My cheapest dread is also out on a stand so they can have one to play with whenever they want.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

The hardware store sell cork squares about 6x6 inches and about 1/4 inch thick. They came with adhesive strips. I put one of those where the body had potential to hit the wall.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 AM

Mine are mostly on the wall. They tend to just make contact at the very bottom, but happens so rarely that I have not done anything. I like the felt idea from the hardware store, they have the adhesive on them already, come in a variety of sizes, some large enough you could cut them to your exact size and yet would be pretty unobtrusive on the wall.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
What hangers are you using? My Hercules ones are no problem at all for any guitar sizes I own.
+1. My guitars have never struck the wall with Hercules wall hangers. If I was concerned I'd put a piece of foam on the wall behind the lower bout of the guitar.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Two year old son, huh? You’re new at this parenting thing. Put your guitars in their cases. Don’t ask me how I know. Trust me on this.
Yup...

I remember a post not too long ago on here some guy was scratching his head in tears trying to figure out how his guitar left the hanger on his wall and smashed...He could not explain what happened...Not for me...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I apologize in advance if this post seems a bit whacky to some.

In an effort to keep a couple of my guitars within easy reach for me but out of reach of my 2-year-old and his entrepreneurial spirit, I recently bought two wall hangers. Unless I'm super careful placing the guitars back on the hanger, however, they swing back and forth ever so slightly, and it doesn't take much for their backs to make contact with the wall behind them.

So what I would like to do is buy or make some kind of padded thingie that would hang from each hanger and provide a cushion behind each guitar and the wall. Ideally, some kind of padded leather pad would be nice that I would suspend from the hanger with a string, but that might be too expensive.

Me thinks there must be readily available, cheap solutions out there that, while intended for a different use, would do the trick.

Any ideas?
You can purchase and use the wall pads expressly designed to prevent your instruments from contacting the walls behind them.

Here's the String Swing CC33 wall bumper:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I've got a 2 and almost-4-year-old grandsons who visit frequently for sleepovers. The two-year-old still likes to go up to Pampy's Cole Clark on the wall and push it until it makes contact with the wall. He doesn't do it hard and it doesn't hurt the wall or the guitar. He gets a gentle, "Hudson - no. Don't touch Pampy's guitars." and he walks away. The four-year-old has learned. They are also not allowed to throw things in the living room. I suppose you could velcro some sort of soft bumper to the wall. Or better yet use those 3M tabs that can be removed so you don't harm the finish on your wall.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:28 AM

Default A thought

I think OP's playing with matches. Kids in the house = guitars in cases. Kids are innovators of mischief, intentional or not, their curiosity is boundless and their actions cannot be anticipated.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I'm planning to hang some guitars in my bedroom (youngest kid is 50 this year!)
I'll be using Hercules hangers which take the guitar a fair way frm the cold, hrd wall but I've bought some carpet tiles which I intend to put behind them - not intrusively and maybe I'll cut them down.

Quite like the cork idea too, and hadn't thought that I've got a load of them already doing nothing in my workshop.

One of those many tasks that comprise my things to do when i feel like it! list.

Who knows, maybe one day the plague will pass and we might feel able to take our guitars out of the house and play 'em again!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Let me put my own “now that I’m in my 60’s” spin on this....
Yes, better locked up. But, in my experience, I spent too much time worrying about protecting the guitar and too little time playing guitar around, for and with my kids. I’d love to go back and have them bang the snot out of the strings.

Lesson? When I was younger, my one expensive guitar was mighty precious in my eyes as were my children. Now that I’m older, a guitar is just a guitar, but family is everything....
Sorry, we have to agree to disagree. At two years old you lock up *everything* - not just guitars - because they are exploring and need constant supervision or by the time they're four you're going to the emergency room. The guitar is not something they're likely to remember the same as you either. IME the fascination with playing music doesn't come until a few years down the road no matter how much you try to saturate their memories.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Looking for ideas on how to protect guitars hanging on wall

If you lock up a guitar like the good china, you’re going to teach the same lesson - look but don’t touch. When they get older, they may end up feeling intimidated about playing, because it’s such a Serious Thing. If it’s just always there and accessible, and they can plunk on it, then they already know they can play, when it comes time to get more serious. I speak from personal experience, having changed my thinking between my oldest and youngest and seen different results. It’s like teaching them to speak by talking to them, vs waiting until they’re old enough to read and giving them a dictionary.

Your guitars, your kids, but at least think about it. If it guaranteed my kids would grow up loving and playing music with me, I’d light one on fire, a few dings on an epiphone seem pretty cheap.

Anyway, enough thread jacking. For the nicer ones, hang them high, and stick carpet squares to the wall with a chair in front, is my 2c. Or better, put the one they can play on a stand in front.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Charley Patton once told me that there are three things you should never do to a guitar:Shake it,break it,hang it on the wall.Oh,and if you throw it out the window try and catch it`fore it falls.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:25 AM

It's a catch 22. Guitars in cases mean less playing...yes sometimes I am so lazy that opening a case and pulling a guitar out is an insurmountable obstacle and guitars on the wall can get knocked from time to time. I also worry about impact on the necks of my nicer guitars. (should I even be concerned about that?)

My youngest is 9 now so kids beating the guitars up are no no longer a concern. Depending on the kid, you only need to get through the first couple of years before your guitars are relatively safe hung. The solution I came up with to split the difference was to buy my kids guitars (hehe any good excuse right?). For my first kid I bought her one of those cheap 3/4 yamaha's because I figured it would get stomped on. That was actually the guitar I played the most for a couple years because it was right there in the living room. Because it didn't get beat up I actually regretted not buying her a nicer guitar, now my son's Little Martin is hanging in the hallway and I grab it all the time to play on the counch or on the front porch. My nice guitars stay behind a closed door in my office/studio and we have a couple guitars hung that the kids and I can play. Always loved seeing them mess with the guitars when they were younger and now when I walk in and my son is plunking some notes trying to figure out a song he likes...priceless.

For hangers, I always bought the cheapest bulk deal I could find on Amazon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion