The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Default Alveraz Yairi 1985 dy85a

Ill just ask what you all think its worth given current condition. The belly bulge would be the first fix and the second would be to clean up the dings on the top.

One thing I read was to try and get it in some humidity. Being in Colorado, its pretty dry.

Any ideas on the cost to fix the bulge? I emailed a luthier but just wanted me to bring it in. I wont be able to do that for a few weeks.

http://imgur.com/a/16YVSlN

Last edited by Machew; 07-22-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:36 PM

Old listing from Reverb shows around $1300 with its original hard case. I wouldn’t worry much about the belly bulge as long as it doesn’t affect its playability. Severe belly bulge will make the action very high, and it might make the strings very buzzy. If the guitar doesn’t appear to have those playability issues, I wouldn’t worry about it. Same for the other aesthetic issues.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-23-2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Edited.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I sold one about 10 yrs ago in a bit better condition for 800 for what is worth. It didn’t sell for a long time at that
Old 07-22-2020, 09:24 PM

Yairi's back then used epoxy in the neck joint. If it needs a neck reset, it will be very difficult if not impossible.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I sold one about 10 yrs ago in a bit better condition for 800 for what is worth. It didn’t sell for a long time at that

10 years later it might have come up in value. It’s a rare guitar, but only appreciated by the few of us that see its value. It sure will be a hard sell for the right price.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:44 PM

Back to discuss my Yairi... I dropped it off at a Luthier today and he looked at it and it really has no issues. The neck joint has never been reset. What I thought was a an issue is not.

When I had it posted on CL a guy wanted me to put a straightedge behind the bridge and it was not straight. He told me it had belly buldge. It in fact does not and that is part of the construction.

So Im going to get a setup on it done and have a touch of glue added to one corner of the bridge. And I will have a instrument.

All that being said, I am going to keep it and learn how to play me some acoustic. Wish me luck.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machew View Post
All that being said, I am going to keep it and learn how to play me some acoustic. Wish me luck.
Really a good idea! That's a beauty of a guitar, and Yairis are pretty special. You never do anything about those top nicks and scratches; they're just part of that 35-year-old guitar now. Best of luck!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-07-2020, 08:06 PM

Machew,
Congratulations, you got a good one.
The DY85A, the "A" stands for ALTERNATE in the Yairi catalog. The japanese word for alternate actually is better translated to "revised" or "revision."
The original DY85 first made in the 1970's and is known as lawsuit guitar because it had headstock exactly like Martin D-41, three piece back and large round abalone fret markers.
Your DY85A has two piece back and diamond abalone fret markers. Thus the "A" designation. Top is solid Canadian spruce and back and sides laminated Brazilian rosewood and ebony fretboard.
Used by many musicians as their recording instrument. Only produced for one year.
Enjoy your guitar.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Really a good idea! That's a beauty of a guitar, and Yairis are pretty special. You never do anything about those top nicks and scratches; they're just part of that 35-year-old guitar now. Best of luck!
The luthier said the same about the nick and dings. Just part of the history. He said he would have been more worried if their was none.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlechange View Post
Machew,

Congratulations, you got a good one.

The DY85A, the "A" stands for ALTERNATE in the Yairi catalog. The japanese word for alternate actually is better translated to "revised" or "revision."

The original DY85 first made in the 1970's and is known as lawsuit guitar because it had headstock exactly like Martin D-41, three piece back and large round abalone fret markers.

Your DY85A has two piece back and diamond abalone fret markers. Thus the "A" designation. Top is solid Canadian spruce and back and sides laminated Brazilian rosewood and ebony fretboard.

Used by many musicians as their recording instrument. Only produced for one year.

Enjoy your guitar.
Thank you for some history on it. Due to it having one of the tuning machines being different, I was considering having the set changed. For some reason it bothers me.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:44 AM

That is a nice fancy model. Looks really good. Enjoy it! I would!
Old 08-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machew View Post
Due to it having one of the tuning machines being different, I was considering having the set changed. For some reason it bothers me.
Perfectly reasonable. Enjoy that Yairi, they are great guitars and I always have my opens for them on the used market.

Rob
Old 08-18-2020, 07:49 PM

Just received my Yairi back and what a difference a setup makes. The bridge had a corner that was pealing just slightly. They were able to glue it down. They did a fret dress and a full set up.

This plays like magic. So glad that I did not get rid of it.

Shout out to Victor Guitar in Denver for excellent work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion