The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-03-2020, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=charles Tauber;6456835]I suggest that that is the very definition of not going well.

If it were mine, I'd remove the back, clean it up and re-glue.

This boo-boo occurred prior. With gluing the rim after bending. Prior to top or bottom. The sides did not move during the box closing. That is why I say it went well.

You're example of a workboard is what I have, just not enough side support on mine.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:10 AM

I did my first this weekend as well. I ruined my first EIR back due to alignment and removal issues. Fortunately the sets are seconds from martin, I think I spent about $ for both sets which now I only have the sides for my second build. Oh well. Live and learn. I built a go-bar deck for my second attempt and it worked flawlessly. I can't figure out how to upload a photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ESCkHbrhwSCWf2ws9
Old 08-03-2020, 11:31 AM

I don't know. I think of building as a marathon not a sprint. Part of that is thinking through the process, crunching the numbers, weighing the costs and sometimes building the jigs yourself. Haste makes waste.

You have to also think further on down the line. If the sides are cupped or twisted in any way you have to do a LOT of sanding and scraping with a straight edge or it's going to throw off the binding channel cutter and lead to a skewed cut. The risk is that you could thin the sides down too much in the process and open yourself up for key cracks even after the guitar is finished.

On my first build I spent a good bit of time building the mold and bending forms. I was anal retentive but opted to do a "semi-solid" mold (4 outlines with spacers) with homemade spreaders using turnbuckles from a big box hardware store. I also made a go bar deck. It was less than buying from Stew Mac but I had to practically go on a scavenger hunt to find a suitable alternative in some cases. I used 2'x4' MDF "hobby size" boards, peg board, threaded rods and steel pipe and flanges from the plumbing section

I closed the box on #2 last year using it. I'm glad I took the time to do all the setup work and did many dry fits before committing to gluing it up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair