The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
That is about the nicest sunburst I've ever seen on a guitar.

Bill
Glad you like it, Bill. Howard and I did discuss what I wanted in terms of a sunburst, and I have to say that he really nailed it.

Which is far more difficult to do than most players realize. The chatoyance of the wood means that different tops will take the same pigments in different ways, so two guitars being sprayed side by side can come out looking quite unalike.

But Howard and I discussed it, I told him what I liked and didn't like in terms of sunburst finishes, and even told him not to fool with it if it seemed like too much hassle: I would have been perfectly happy with a natural finish top.

But I'm even happier with how this one came out. It's a beauty, no question about it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Since we've started a new page in the thread, I should post that picture again, just to keep things illustrated!

Howard told me he's going to stop by and visit one of my longtime guitar heroes with the KJ tomorrow, so hopefully we should see a fresh picture or two after that visit.

Then on Monday, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, Howard will take the guitar over to Stevie Coyle's house to record some soundclips for those of you who've expressed an interest. Stevie Coyle is a noted player from the band The Waybacks. I heard them play a concert at a Healdsburg Festival a few years ago, and was completely dazzled by their musicianship and showmanship.

Then after that the guitar will get packaged and shipped to me here in Darkest Alaska, and hopefully will arrive by around this time next week.

At some point after it arrives I'll try to get some photos of me with the guitar while I do my normal Alaskan kind of stuff - you know, fending off crazed wolverines, polar bears, and former female governors of the state.

Okay, I'm kidding there. No polar bears in these parts, and while I have met Sarah Palin, I've never had to fend her off by brandishing a fine handbuilt guitar in a menacing fashion: such an occasion has simply never arisen.

In any event, the guitar is slowly (oh, so slowly!) but surely making its way up here, and I'll let you know when it arrives.

whm
Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 AM

Wade, I am truly excited for you.

I have been following this thread and enjoyed the progress of Howard's creation. Howard is to begin a 00 in Pernambuco this month for me.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Well, it looks like the visit to Schoenberg's with Wade's may be put off until tomorrow. We are dealing with a sick doggie here today.

Wade has shown a zenlike patience about getting this guitar into his hands. I am kind of awed by it.

A session recording sound clips of this and some other guitars is scheduled for Monday evening. Then off it goes.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Wade has shown a zenlike patience about getting this guitar into his hands. I am kind of awed by it.
It's an Episcopalian patience, Howard. We're kind of like a cross between Roman Catholics and Unitarians....

Quote:
A session recording sound clips of this and some other guitars is scheduled for Monday evening. Then off it goes.
Hip Hip.....Hooray! Hip Hip.....Hooray! Hip Hip.....Hooray!

Looking forward to it.

whm
Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...A session recording sound clips of this and some other guitars is scheduled for Monday evening....
I'm looking forward to hearing these clips, too. That will be terrific!

- Glenn
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Agreed on looking forward to the sound clips...this was an amazing build thread right from the start...and a gorgeous result...
Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Billy, Stevie Coyle is a great player and also has a nice home studio, which is why he's doing the soundclips. Howard and I discussed it, and to me it made more sense to have Stevie play and record the guitar than it would for me, simply because it would cost me studio time to record anything that I thought would do justice to the guitar. I have spent a significant amount of time in recording studios in the past, and know firsthand how much effort goes into getting even a halfway realistic acoustic guitar sound. It's not simply a matter of sticking a microphone in front of the guitar.

I want to also mention that the delay in getting the guitar to me has been almost entirely of my own making - I could have had this guitar in my possession five or six weeks ago, but first I told Howard not to ship it until the first of April at the earliest, (because of Alaskan weather, which remains vicious through March,) and then I told him I'd rather he got the soundclips done down there.

So anyone reading this thread who's gotten the impression that it's taking a long time to get the guitar to me needs to understand those aspects. Given the substantial amount of interest that this build thread has generated, I knew that folks would want to hear soundclips. But I also knew that that would be more easily accomplished in California.

So hang tight, y'all, and the soundclips will be ready soon enough.

Thanks for your interest.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 04-24-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Eric Schoenberg

I visited Eric Schoenberg's shop in Tiburon yesterday. This is one of the energy vortexes of the acoustic guitar world, particularly for lovers of vintage Martins. And Eric is a legendary guitarist. Plus he is the man who revived the Martin OM's after they had long been out of production.

So of course I always hold my breath for a second when I hand him a guitar, even though I have been selling through his shop for six years. Wade really wanted me to get a photo of Eric playing the new KJ. Here are a few:

Some guy stuck himself into the last one.

Anyway, Eric said that this is perhaps the best guitar of mine that he has played. He liked the strong bass, liked the neck, and commented that the guitar sounds a lot better than an original vintage AJ he recently had in his shop. High praise from someone who doesn't lay it on thick. He wanted to know the details about how I had braced and arched the top, and we talked for a while about the effects of forward and wide spread X bracing. Eric and James both thought the sunburst was as nice an amberburst as they have seen. I exhaled and left the shop grinning.

Just one correction to Wade, above: the studio is in the home of Walter Strauss, who is himself an extraordinary guitarist and also produced Stevie's last CD.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 AM

Howard, Great pictures and high praise! It just goes to show that many who have been keeping track of this thread are correct -- you've outdone yourself! Congratulations!

Wade, Believe me, I know about AK weather. Graduated from high school and went to my first two years of college in Fairbanks. Lived in Nome before that for a while. Yep, the winters can be fierce. But, one you do receive your guitar, it can sure go a long way to mellow out just about anything.

Happy Easter to all!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 PM

I don't think I've ever seen so many memories made of a guitar before it has gotten to its owner.

Bill
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 AM

I think the smile in this pic tells the tale.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Great photos, Howard. I'm glad that you put the guitar into Eric's hands and he liked it as much as he did.

Most people nowadays know Eric Schoenberg for his championing of the OM design and for his store and brand of guitars. But I first heard of Eric as a player - back in the 1970's he recorded an album of Beatles' songs played on solo fingerpicked acoustic guitar.

I had a copy of that LP, and just loved it.

So his opinion of the guitar matters to me as a player, since he himself is a player I admire.

I have met Eric on two or three occasions, and talked to him on the phone a few times, and can vouch for what you said about how his favorable comments are "high praise from someone who doesn't lay it on thick." He's very straightforward and precise when it comes to discussing the merits and flaws of musical instruments. There's no sentimentality or sugarcoating from that guy: he'll just tell you exactly what he thinks.

And since he's extremely well-versed and highly experienced with the best quality instruments from both past and present, the fact that Eric Schoenberg really likes the guitar is the best possible news.

Not that it's surprising, but it's nice to get that sort of reaction from someone of his experience and skill level.

Well, once again, it's nice to see that your taking the guitar around and putting it into the hands of some experienced players has turned into a bit of a victory lap for you. Good work, Howard.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Wow Howard, what a nice day for you and your creation! Wade you are a lucky fellow.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Eric Schoenberg and Dave Laibman (who are related in some way IIRC) made a landmark album "Contemporary Ragtime Guitar" which totally changed the way I looked at guitar playing.

I did see him play at Cambridge Folk Festival in the 70's, but was far too much in awe of him to dare to go up and say hello.

I don't suppose there are any bootleg Schoenberg/ Klepper tapes available ... ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop