The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-30-2022, 09:23 AM

Default About installing schatten Hfn .

Hi

I have a Preston Thompson om guitar. I used the microphone for recording, but I'm going to use it for a small performance.

I've been thinking about a lot of pickups, and I'm waiting for this to be delivered.

Do I install product 'hfn artist' as a saddle angle? Or install it in a straight line like the image in the manual?

The current combination is Schatten hfn artist + k&k pure preamp , and I will use the phantom power of Aer Dualmix some time later. Is it a good combination?

I am not good English. I'm sorry. Please answer. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:27 AM

I followed the saddle line in my installs and like the results. But with the ease of installing the Schatten HFN you could try both placements and see what you prefer.
The AER dual is a great product and IMO makes the K&K preamp kind of obsolete for your purpose. I had it once and liked the results with Schatten HFN, UltraTonic, Dazzo and K&K pickups a lot - no need for an additional preamp as long as you do not want to add an internal mic. Just recently I worked on the live rig for a professional player (Dazzo in a Merrill OM28 and a Collings OM2H). We tried K&K Trinity preamp + DPA 4061 internal mic to AER and both liked the pickup plugged directly into the AER the best (no internal mic used). Dazzo pickups sound very natural as does the HFN.
But again try both ways and see what sounds best to your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-30-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

HFN on the Saddle line, as Guitarman68 recommended. If necessary, when removing and reinstalling the newer Schatten HFN transducer with its newer printed base, be careful when removing it so that you do so without tearing away the bottom(s) of the feet (this can and will likely happen), and bending the shape of the HFN. When this happens to me, I spend time sanding the feet flat before reinstalling the HFN. My Recommendation: When choosing between a Schatten HFN system, and a Dazzo system, I recommend going with the Dazzo system for its simplicity and a likely more pleasing tonal outcome.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-30-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:05 PM

Default Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I followed the saddle line in my installs and like the results. But with the ease of installing the Schatten HFN you could try both placements and see what you prefer.
The AER dual is a great product and IMO makes the K&K preamp kind of obsolete for your purpose. I had it once and liked the results with Schatten HFN, UltraTonic, Dazzo and K&K pickups a lot - no need for an additional preamp as long as you do not want to add an internal mic. Just recently I worked on the live rig for a professional player (Dazzo in a Merrill OM28 and a Collings OM2H). We tried K&K Trinity preamp + DPA 4061 internal mic to AER and both liked the pickup plugged directly into the AER the best (no internal mic used). Dazzo pickups sound very natural as does the HFN.
But again try both ways and see what sounds best to your ears.
I saw your YouTube comparison well. That's why I chose schatten hfn pickup. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:02 PM

Hey thanks, glad my YT vid helped you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-03-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF!

I have been using Schattens exclusively for the last few years and I love them. As noted, install on the saddle angle and don’t be uneasy about chasing the bass you need. Some people get low bass response from their HFN, but I have all the bass I need on mine.

And that PT guitar - gorgeous!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-03-2022, 09:21 AM

Responding late, but if you haven’t already done your install, I can recommend to make a cardboard template, with holes punched through to line up to the bridge pin slots. A big “U” or “L” shape to help you get the pickup perfectly lined up on the saddle line.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Responding late, but if you haven’t already done your install, I can recommend to make a cardboard template, with holes punched through to line up to the bridge pin slots. A big “U” or “L” shape to help you get the pickup perfectly lined up on the saddle line.
+1 For Sure!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification