The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-17-2022, 04:42 PM

Default Build Thread: Michel Aboudib 00, Euro spruce/Cuban mahogany

Michel is of Syrian origin, but has lived since teenagehood in France and the US. He is currently heading out to Oakland to be the next Somogyi apprentice, but has already established himself as an artisan maker of exceptional instruments.

I popped over to Toulouse in southern France last week to pick up the latest in a batch of 00 sized guitars I have commissioned over the last year or so, having settled on a classical size shape between 14-14.5 inches wide as the best fit for me. I prefer a 1 7/8 (48mm) nut, which usually means custom ordering.

I managed to spend a few hours with Michel, who is among the most rewarding and fun people you are likely to meet anywhere. Michel has built OM and dread sized instruments for folks on this forum, this was his first 00, we settled on a 12 fret cutaway to try to combine the virtues of the bridge placement sweet spot with extra access higher up.
I'll share some build + studio pics, and aim to record in a few weeks.

To cut to the chase, this guitar is unique in my experience as a multi-sensory work of art. Michel aims to create an instrument as an immersive world of the senses, and he has succeeded here. The resins and wax used in the finish process have a wonderful lingering vanilla and pine perfume. The satin finish feels soft to the touch, and the neck is lightly oiled, so it feels like your hands are more in touch with the wood itself. Visually the guitar is unassuming and restrained, but has a gentle golden glow that feels friendly and inviting. The playability is simply the best I have come across, anywhere. This makes more of a difference than I have been used to, and it adds to the compulsion to engage with the instrument.

Tone-wise, it's still very new, but I am completely smitten. It has a body resonance of E, which supports high A and B notes. It has slightly less sustain and cathedral choir reverb overtones than my other instruments, as I would have expected from a mahogany body, but plenty enough to satisfy me. Currently not quite as much power and volume as the others, although I expect this will increase, but again, perfectly satisfactory, more than loud enough to immerse you as you play. The balance is excellent across the fretboard, as is the clarity and purity of each note. The responsiveness is quick to a soft touch, with enough room in the tank to sustain a heavy right hand. There is a satisfying sense of dynamic range which invites exploration of different techniques, and Michel has achieved a superb balance between response of attack and depth of body.

The bass is more pillowy and woomphy than my other guitars, with a real depth of character. The trebles have a very special liquid beauty and strength that is mesmerising. Michel nailed it in terms of the balance of power and sweetness in the trebles, they are to die for. The overall personality of the tone is woody, warm, strong Mediterranean honey with a stunning range of colour. The guitar as a whole is uniquely sensual and seductive with a character that I think somehow combines Michel's various backgrounds with something exciting and enticing. My kids are used to my different guitars, and they all went "oooh, that's so pretty" when they heard this one.
If you want to fall in love with a guitar, I'd say Michel is your man, I've got too many guitars already, but I'm definitely going to order another of his.
Woods are 1980s Austrian spruce, described by Michel as "velvety and buttery", with 19th century Cuban mahogany.

Old 06-17-2022, 04:48 PM

Congratulations. Michel came to our guitar show last year and was a big hit. Super nice guy and he and my wife conversed in French and she loved that as she does not get the chance too often, I was OK with it I guess lol.

Michel is a super nice guy, builds a great guitar and is coming back to B.I.G. this Sept for a 2nd appearance his first after starting with Somogyi. Come meet him one on one if you would like! Speak French if so inclined, in fact maybe come so you can translate what he and Kathy are saying for me hahahaha.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

I can definitely vouch for Michel's great talent as a luthier. Just seeing and hearing the one guitar he brought to the B.I.G. Show last year made it quite evident that Michel has the quality of legend in him. Even more so, now that he is going to spend a couple years in Ervin Somogyi's Master's Degree apprenticeship course. It would not surprise me a bit if Michel becomes one of the very few millionaire luthiers on the planet, in due course. Keep your eyes on this guy.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:30 AM

<< I'll share some build + studio pics, and aim to record in a few weeks.>>

Oh yes, please do!

If I ever decide to commission a custom guitar I will take a good, serious look at working with this luthier. (It helps that he’s relatively close to me and a visit to his atelier would be easy enough.)

Old 06-18-2022, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

No idea what pillowy and woomphy Mediterranean honey is, but I want it.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:56 AM

Dennis - get pics of the completed guitar up here now!

Man, you have it bad: Clearly, all you did in lcokdown was think about guitars!

As ever, I'll be very interested in hearing this - I had zero idea he was off to be the next Somogyi apprentice. That = guitars unaffordable in the relatively near future, so good move ordering another now.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-18-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib 00 Euro Spruce/Cuban Mahogany

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
Michel is of Syrian origin, but has lived since teenagehood in France and the US. He is currently heading out to Oakland to be the next Somogyi apprentice, but has already established himself as an artisan maker of exceptional instruments.

I popped over to Toulouse in southern France last week to pick up the latest in a batch of 00 sized guitars I have commissioned over the last year or so, having settled on a classical size shape between 14-14.5 inches wide as the best fit for me. I prefer a 1 7/8 (48mm) nut, which usually means custom ordering.

I managed to spend a few hours with Michel, who is among the most rewarding and fun people you are likely to meet anywhere. Michel has built OM and dread sized instruments for folks on this forum, this was his first 00, we settled on a 12 fret cutaway to try to combine the virtues of the bridge placement sweet spot with extra access higher up.
I'll share some build + studio pics, and aim to record in a few weeks.

To cut to the chase, this guitar is unique in my experience as a multi-sensory work of art. Michel aims to create an instrument as an immersive world of the senses, and he has succeeded here. The resins and wax used in the finish process have a wonderful lingering vanilla and pine perfume. The satin finish feels soft to the touch, and the neck is lightly oiled, so it feels like your hands are more in touch with the wood itself. Visually the guitar is unassuming and restrained, but has a gentle golden glow that feels friendly and inviting. The playability is simply the best I have come across, anywhere. This makes more of a difference than I have been used to, and it adds to the compulsion to engage with the instrument.

Tone-wise, it's still very new, but I am completely smitten. It has a body resonance of E, which supports high A and B notes. It has slightly less sustain and cathedral choir reverb overtones than my other instruments, as I would have expected from a mahogany body, but plenty enough to satisfy me. Currently not quite as much power and volume as the others, although I expect this will increase, but again, perfectly satisfactory, more than loud enough to immerse you as you play. The balance is excellent across the fretboard, as is the clarity and purity of each note. The responsiveness is quick to a soft touch, with enough room in the tank to sustain a heavy right hand. There is a satisfying sense of dynamic range which invites exploration of different techniques, and Michel has achieved a superb balance between response of attack and depth of body.

The bass is more pillowy and woomphy than my other guitars, with a real depth of character. The trebles have a very special liquid beauty and strength that is mesmerising. Michel nailed it in terms of the balance of power and sweetness in the trebles, they are to die for. The overall personality of the tone is woody, warm, strong Mediterranean honey with a stunning range of colour. The guitar as a whole is uniquely sensual and seductive with a character that I think somehow combines Michel's various backgrounds with something exciting and enticing. My kids are used to my different guitars, and they all went "oooh, that's so pretty" when they heard this one.
If you want to fall in love with a guitar, I'd say Michel is your man, I've got too many guitars already, but I'm definitely going to order another of his.
Woods are 1980s Austrian spruce, described by Michel as "velvety and buttery", with 19th century Cuban mahogany.

Dennis, I'm really jazzed to see your 00-12 fret cutaway build thread from Michel Aboudib. Excellent choice of tone woods. Your descriptions of the sound, look and feel of your guitar are very thoughtful and spark the imagination. Count me subscribed and looking forward to watching your thread unfold with more pictures, descriptions and hopefully a sound clip in the near future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I can definitely vouch for Michel's great talent as a luthier. Just seeing and hearing the one guitar he brought to the B.I.G. Show last year made it quite evident that Michel has the quality of legend in him. Even more so, now that he is going to spend a couple years in Ervin Somogyi's Master's Degree apprenticeship course. It would not surprise me a bit if Michel becomes one of the very few millionaire luthiers on the planet, in due course. Keep your eyes on this guy.
Steve, that is high praise from a luthier with your talents. After hearing Tony McManus playing Michel's striking Euro spruce-Cocobolo OM model at B.I.G. II I was hooked. The good news is that his pricing is still competitive for such an accomplished luthier and Somoygi apprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congratulations. Michel came to our guitar show last year and was a big hit. Super nice guy and he and my wife conversed in French and she loved that as she does not get the chance too often, I was OK with it I guess lol.

Michel is a super nice guy, builds a great guitar and is coming back to B.I.G. this Sept for a 2nd appearance his first after starting with Somogyi. Come meet him one on one if you would like! Speak French if so inclined, in fact maybe come so you can translate what he and Kathy are saying for me hahahaha.

Tom, thank you for introducing Michel Aboudib to me and everyone who attended B.I.G. II last year and for inviting him for the upcoming B.I.G. III. Michel is a great guy, a perfect gentleman and humble to boot. I am really enjoying the MA-D modified dreadnought which I commissioned after last year's show. Michel will be showing it at the upcoming B.I.G. III event. With the outstanding luthier and entertainment lineup for B.I.G. III, it looks to be another blockbuster event! For anyone interested, the build thread for my Modified Dreadnought can be found here.

Dennis, thanks for sharing the journey of your Aboudib 00 build with us here. It is obvious you love it already. More, please!
Old 06-18-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
No idea what pillowy and woomphy Mediterranean honey is, but I want it.
I had no idea either Jim, until I found it! There's even a hint of doe-eyed maidens from Damascus in the velvety high notes...
Old 06-18-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Dennis - get pics of the completed guitar up here now!
OK I'll stop teasing
Images courtsey of Antoine Aubry (guitar in situ), whose studio is upstairs from Michel's workshop. Rosette is offcut from the Cuban mahogany, bindings are rosewood, and purfling is umm... yellow.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Dennis, I'm really jazzed to see your 00-12 fret cutaway build thread from Michel Aboudib.
Doug, I had become intrigued by Michel's work last year, but I was thinking it would be an indulgence to order something, and I was focusing on more local UK builders whose guitars I could play before commissioning. The itch wouldn't go away, and it was your trend-setting that pushed me into scratching it, so I guess I owe you one
Old 06-18-2022, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now, THAT guitar is an expression of pure elegance. It's perfectly appointed, beautifully shaped, balanced in form and function. It's so easy on the eyes, it's like a visual oasis of calm and serenity. Nothing needs to be added, nor subtracted. It exists in that place where truth meets beauty.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful, Dennis - congrats! I am also a huge fan of Michel’s aesthetic.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib 00, Euro spruce/Cuban mahogany

Dennis, your Aboudib 00 is a beauty...understated and elegant! I really like the way the yellow purfling looks with both the top finish and the Cuban mahogany.

In several ways it reminds me of the MA-M cocobolo OM that Michel brought to last year's B.I.G. event; especially the headstock, light violin finish on the back and lightly oiled neck. Did Michel use a French Polish varnish on the top here?

I hope you'll also add some build photos if you were provided with those and a sound clip once you've had some time with the guitar.

Did you get to meet Antoine Aubry when you were visiting Michel's workshop? He's a really good player and videographer too. Thanks for sharing your build with us.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Now, THAT guitar is an expression of pure elegance. It's perfectly appointed, beautifully shaped, balanced in form and function. It's so easy on the eyes, it's like a visual oasis of calm and serenity. Nothing needs to be added, nor subtracted. It exists in that place where truth meets beauty.
What Steve S said! Just so lovely

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-23-2022, 10:18 AM

Build pics are slightly random, but Antoine Aubry managed to record a tune on the guitar shortly after it was built. This is pretty much fresh out of the oven, the sound has of course deepened and matured since then, but it captures some of the essence. Action is pretty low, so there is a little pinging on the high notes.

Last edited by dennisczech; 06-23-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop