The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2022, 06:39 AM

Default Sub-$1000 column PA choices...

Hi folks!

I've gotten fed up with band politics and trying to get everyone to show up on the same day, etc...and have decided to go solo acoustic. Working on getting my gear together while building my song list.

From my research so far, it seems like a column PA is the way to go to handle my guitar and vocals. I'd love to go EV but it's not in the budget at the moment - whatever I get to start is something that I know I'll most likely upgrade in the future.

The guitar is a PRS SE AX20E, with the standard Fishman piezo that comes from the factory. I'm thinking I might pick up a used Line 6 Pod Go, because I've run the acoustic through one before and with an IR it sounds good, plus it gives me a looper and some other stuff to play with. Also looking at the TC Electronics Impulse, used with select pedals from my electric board, to go a little cheaper for the moment. Still won't put me into the EV price range if I want to stay married, which I do.

So, that gets me to the possible choices on PA. I've found a Bose L1 Compact at a decent price, the Fishman SA330x, the Mackie SRM Flex, the Harbinger column that Guitar Center sells (have my quality doubts there), and there's the new Peavey LN-1063, which it doesn't seem anyone has used or reviewed as yet.

I'm leaning towards the Bose or the Peavey, but am still open to suggestions for stuff in the price range, and would love to hear experiences with the ones I've mentioned.

Thanks!!!
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 06-15-2022, 07:12 AM

If you don’t really need a sub get a Turbosound IP300 and a compact stand (or two!). $440 column like sound can’t be beat
Old 06-15-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
I've found a Bose L1 Compact at a decent price, the Fishman SA330x, the Mackie SRM Flex, the Harbinger column that Guitar Center sells (have my quality doubts there), and there's the new Peavey LN-1063, which it doesn't seem anyone has used or reviewed as yet.

I'm leaning towards the Bose or the Peavey, but am still open to suggestions for stuff in the price range, and would love to hear experiences with the ones I've mentioned.
A lot of this comes down to personal preference and experience, though I didn't see a mixer in your gear list and that may play into your decision. I have and love the L1 Compact and its prices have fallen since it's phased out and superseded by newer models. But it has no EQ on the second channel other than an on/off switch for a fixed "Tonematch" EQ, which can help guitar, and no reverb on either channel. Also no master volume which drives many of us nuts. Still, great sound. An inexpensive mixer like the Yamaha MG06x with simple effects would really round that out.

The SA330x is also seriously good, and with much better EQ options plus anti-feedback notch, phase control, pad switches to handle different signal strengths, reverb options... and yep it sounds great.

I'm not personally familiar with the other ones, except to say the Harbinger is a step down. I heard one at my local bistro recently, it was fine, and probably no one in the audience cared. But if you care, it's the least attractive choice.

Good luck! Buddy of mine has been running a cover band for 20+ years and I don't know why no homicides have been recorded. Yet.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:18 PM

How about something like an Alto Trouper?
200 watts, 2 full channels with 2 way EQ plus an Aux in with Bluetooth.
Clearly not a bass monster, but do you need that for solo acoustic and voice?
Kind of a poor man's Bose S1, except bring your own reverb.
And you would have to have/bring a speaker stand.
I don't have any hands on myself but it gets good reviews.
Oh yeah, it costs lees than $300 new.
Seems like a good way to dip your toe in and get some experience.

All this depends on what kind/size of venue you expect to play, of course.
I love my Fishstick SA330x but like all column array speakers it doesn't sound it's best
when you're right up against it.
It needs some room for the small drivers to blend. Same for Bose and EV, too.
So if you're going to play really tight stages a single speaker high and behind
might be good thing.
This at the risk losing the dispersion of the column array speakers.

Then again it's nice to have nicer stuff if you want to/can spend the money. :-)
The suggestions made so far are all good.

Happy gear hunting! _RP
Old 06-15-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
A lot of this comes down to personal preference and experience, though I didn't see a mixer in your gear list and that may play into your decision. I have and love the L1 Compact and its prices have fallen since it's phased out and superseded by newer models. But it has no EQ on the second channel other than an on/off switch for a fixed "Tonematch" EQ, which can help guitar, and no reverb on either channel. Also no master volume which drives many of us nuts. Still, great sound. An inexpensive mixer like the Yamaha MG06x with simple effects would really round that out.

The SA330x is also seriously good, and with much better EQ options plus anti-feedback notch, phase control, pad switches to handle different signal strengths, reverb options... and yep it sounds great.

I'm not personally familiar with the other ones, except to say the Harbinger is a step down. I heard one at my local bistro recently, it was fine, and probably no one in the audience cared. But if you care, it's the least attractive choice.

Good luck! Buddy of mine has been running a cover band for 20+ years and I don't know why no homicides have been recorded. Yet.
Lack of reverb on the Bose kills that one for me - I forgot about that. I wish someone had some experience with the Peavey - I've generally had good luck with Peavey gear over the years, but when it's not good, it's really not good...
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 06-15-2022, 06:24 PM

I'll vouch for the IP300 too. I've been using one. For a solo act it would be nice. I've been using it for my wife and I. Taking some getting used to going from DXR10 to the IP300. The wide array dispersion is nice.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'll vouch for the IP300 too. I've been using one. For a solo act it would be nice. I've been using it for my wife and I. Taking some getting used to going from DXR10 to the IP300. The wide array dispersion is nice.
That's timely, how do they compare for room fillage? (i.e., volume)
Old 06-15-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
That's timely, how do they compare for room fillage? (i.e., volume)
My initial thoughts are that the DXR10 throws sound a lot farther than the IP300. My reasoning is that the IP300 sounds very loud right near it, but sounds much quieter to me just a little further away.

While the DXR10 sounds loud near it, it still sounds loud many feet away.

Either one would cover 75-100 people with ease.
The IP300 is very strong in the mid/upper mid. The DXR has good bass and good top end, but is lacking a little bit in a narrow band of the midrange.
While the bass on the Turbosound sounds great nearby, it falls off at distance. The DXR10 bass remains in tact at distance.

Footprint of each on a stand and/or packed in the car is similar but different. The IP300 seems to take up less space, but it's length (height) far surpasses that of the DXR10.

If a wide array dispersion is the main need, I'd go for the IP300. If full range sound for long distance is needed, the nod goes to the DXR10.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 06-16-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:10 PM

Very thorough and relevant, much obliged.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:51 PM

The 1/4” unbalanced inputs on the IP300 are said to be line level.
I suspect that means they are not high impedance. That true?

Are you able to plug a passive pickup straight in or do you have to use a preamp?
Either way is ok, wondering.
Otherwise it seems like a very nice product. Dispersion is a very good thing.

_RP
Old 06-20-2022, 07:13 AM

As you price things out, keep in mind the total cost, and space, and wires, and stands, and cases. The EV30M only really becomes a bargain when you factor all those extras into consideration. The current price for a customer return (at ProAudioStar.com) is $1020, so it isn’t that far above your threshold, and it truly is all you need by itself.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:08 PM

The Peavey LN 1063 arrived today. Have only tested it briefly so far, but I'm really digging the sounds

1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 06-27-2022, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Congrats AAhzz.
The LN-1063 looks interesting. Peavey doesn't tell us dispersion info...can
you provide your thoughts on its dispersion factor / coverage?
Old 06-27-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
Congrats AAhzz.
Haven't had it long enough to provide any real thoughts as yet - give me a day or so
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 06-28-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
Congrats AAhzz.
Did a demo to show just that:

https://youtu.be/XrGefdR7C6Q
1987 Peavey Patriot bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification