The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-18-2023, 04:57 AM

Question Compatible bridge for Takamine E10C?

Hi all, new here and looking for some help. My boyfriend has a Takamine E10C acoustic electric guitar, but the bridge is broken off. He needs to get a replacement bridge but the model is discontinued with Takamine - do any of you know what other models' bridges are compatible? It's split saddle and pinless configuration.

Any help appreciated! We've already contacted a distributor and waiting to hear back from them, but I'm not 100% confident that we will.

Many thanks,
Karen
Old 05-18-2023, 08:47 AM

Karen, do you mean the wooden bridge is broken, or the white part called the saddle? Takamine uses a split saddle. A saddle would be a user-replaceable part with some skill, but if the bridge itself is detached or broken that points toward a repair shop - not something to be tried by a DIY'er. Hopefully Takamine can supply a replacement bridge from their parts supply. Good luck either way, and welcome!

Looking at pictures from the web, that pinless bridge is a somewhat complex piece of woodworking.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:07 AM

ah the bridge itself unfortunately... and we have someone who can do the repair but we are trying to source the part - and if the same bridge isn't available, there must be another compatible product?
Old 05-18-2023, 09:12 AM

Here are some images:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...6a?usp=sharing
Old 05-18-2023, 09:28 AM

A skilled luthier may be able to make one if you can't get it sourced. They may also be able to repair the existing one.

But this most definitely above my skill level.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-18-2023, 09:33 AM

It probably WAS repairable without replacing the whole bridge, at least until the Gorilla Glue (assumption based on the appearance) was put in there. No idea if that can be adequately removed now, which may force you to use a whole new bridge. I had a pinless bridge repaired locally on a 60's era Silvertone (my first gutiar) and the fellow used high-strength epoxy to reattach the two parts, not too different from your situation. The repair is invisible, even though that wasn't a concern, and a year later it is holding up fine.

You might think about reaching out to a moderator and having this thread moved to Build & Repair, where more knowledgeable people hang out. Click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of your post.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:19 PM

I was hoping to get some more input from the community, is it ok to bring attention to this post again? Still haven't heard back from the distributor. There must be a way to purchase a compatible bridge?
Old 05-25-2023, 05:49 PM

If you can find a pinless bridge for a steel string guitar of close to the same size you would be in business, try Amazon. The advantage to pinless is you don't have to coordinate the pin holes matching in the same place. The 2 part saddle is not required, a 1 piece saddle will work.
You could have one made by a guitar maker you would probably be looking at $150-200 installed. It would have the advantage of covering the old glue lines and looking original.

Pin style bridges are easy to find for around $20 on Amazon, etc if you wanted to convert it but you would have to have a bridge plate installed, drill and taper holes and buy pins. Probably back up to $150-200 again and it won't look original to the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair