The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2022, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Cool Saw a Very Cool Amp!

Dropped by my local music store the other day... it had been quite a while since I've been there, and I wanted to say hello and chat a bit...

While there, I saw this acoustic amp, a Cliff Edge Soundboard 2. It looked REALLY nicely built - dovetailed cabinetry that looked to be solid wood, either oak or some such, but I saw NO speakers, at all!

The owner of the store told me I HAD to play something through it, so I picked up a new Alvarez acoustic with a barn-door UST-type pickup and we plugged it in... the sound was remarkably transparent, really, REALLY nice! The owner said that no matter what they plugged into it, every instrument sounded just like they did when unplugged...

Did some research at home and found they were designed by Bruce Petros (of Petros acoustic guitars), and were only built between 1998 and 2005. List price for the one I saw was $~2700! It's on consignment for $625...

No speakers at all, just a large transducer coupled to a soundboard (in this case, cedar), so it reproduces sound in a similar fashion to the way that an acoustic guitar does... through a vibrating soundboard. The thing has 8 or 10 different tone controls for every aspect of controlling the amplified signal.

I was really impressed by this amp, and can scarcely believe that I never heard of them when they were in production - although the price tag would have been a dealbreaker!

Anyone else ever played through one?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-03-2022, 06:47 PM

I have read in the past that many users complained that it was difficult to get usable volume out of them.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I noticed that, right away... however, the amp is configured to use an extension speaker, cutting the ohms down to 4 and boosting the power output to 130 watts from 85...

If the "sent" signal is the actual sound of the amp, that could easily solve volume problems...

Another obvious drawback is that it is not an amp for using both a guitar and a mic; an issue that could be worked around, but a drawback for anyone looking for a combo amp for small gigs.

I have to say that the sound was truly glorious, however... certainly for home use it would be stellar! While I didn't lift the thing, with 3/4" solid wood for the cabinet, it's not going to be lightweight, by any stretch of the imagination...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification