The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-17-2022, 09:25 AM

Default Shaping/Slotting a Blank Nut

I'm thinking of going ahead and removing a poorly slotted nut on my new Eastman E10-00 but before doing so I'd like a little advice. FWIW, I have experience doing some bone saddle work, both drop in and cut through, so I am comfortable being hands on (stocked on sandpaper/tools) and I might as well take the plunge on the cost since I like doing my own setups. Plus I really can't deal with the luthier wait times in my area which at times can extend over 2 months.

The nut in question:

What I’d like:

Essentially I would like the string spacing to be wider and evenly distributed throughout. So, where to start?

First off, is this a decent filing set if I will only be using it occasionally? Or is there a better option without spending too much?
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...oustic-guitar/

Secondly, the current nut is seated and shaped well on the neck, so I'm also considering the alternate option of filling the slots with super glue and baking soda and starting over. This will save a considerable amount of time and reduce the risk of removing the nut. The thing is, I will not be adjusting the slot height, I would be cutting new slots that would not always line up with the previous mark. Will this be overly noticeable, as in, does backing soda and super glue match well on bleached white nut?

And I guess are there any other considerations that I should be considering? Something I may have missed?

Thank you.

Last edited by A.Wilder1; 05-18-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I wish I could answer your questions and am mainly just going to be following along.

If it were me I'd get a new nut and keep that old one just in case. When I've done saddles I usually put the original in the case so I can include it when I sell it (I've accepted the fact that I'll sell them all at some point and replace with something different; GAS is real).
Old 05-17-2022, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Those nut files are OK. But be VERY careful when using them. Those sharp squared off ends will take a gouge out of your headstock in an instant if you slip.

I would start with a new blank, rather than fill the slots and re-cut. The margin of movement away from the present slots will be so small that you are bound to slip back into cutting the slots you have just filled.

Buy 3 bone blanks: the first you will throw in the bin in frustration, the second will be the one you get right, and the third is for your next project. And buy some new strings as you are going to wreck the set you have on at present.

I'm assuming that you want to produce a new string spacing? In which case really spend some time getting the slot positions right. The easiest method I have found is to put on the 1st and 6th strings to visually mark on the blank where you want them to go. There is no formula or measurement that wil work for every guitar. Because necks tend to be hand sanded and frets hand finished, where the outer strings should sit is best done by eye with the outer strings on the guitar.

If you are buying nut files from StuMac get the string spacing tool too. It is set with proportional centres and does a complex job easily for you. I've had one for 15 years or more. Proportional centres are not equal centres or equal spaces (both of which have issues) but a nice compromise that looks "right" and plays well.

After pencil marking the slot positions use the thinnest file to make the first cuts on all the string slots - build up to the thicker files in stages on the thicker strings. It is easy to drift as the slots deepen, so watch out for that.

Don't be in a hurry. It is not a difficult job but there is lots of potential to go wrong. I've made probably 100 or more nuts from square blanks but still know that the next one I start could easily end up in the bin.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-17-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
I wish I could answer your questions and am mainly just going to be following along.

If it were me I'd get a new nut and keep that old one just in case. When I've done saddles I usually put the original in the case so I can include it when I sell it (I've accepted the fact that I'll sell them all at some point and replace with something different; GAS is real).
Touche! If there is enough interest I can keep everyone updated on the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Those nut files are OK. But be VERY careful when using them. Those sharp squared off ends will take a gouge out of your headstock in an instant if you slip.

I would start with a new blank, rather than fill the slots and re-cut. The margin of movement away from the present slots will be so small that you are bound to slip back into cutting the slots you have just filled.

Buy 3 bone blanks: the first you will throw in the bin in frustration, the second will be the one you get right, and the third is for your next project. And buy some new strings as you are going to wreck the set you have on at present.

I'm assuming that you want to produce a new string spacing? In which case really spend some time getting the slot positions right. The easiest method I have found is to put on the 1st and 6th strings to visually mark on the blank where you want them to go. There is no formula or measurement that wil work for every guitar. Because necks tend to be hand sanded and frets hand finished, where the outer strings should sit is best done by eye with the outer strings on the guitar.

If you are buying nut files from StuMac get the string spacing tool too. It is set with proportional centres and does a complex job easily for you. I've had one for 15 years or more.

Don't be in a hurry. It is not a difficult job but there is lots of potential to go wrong. I've made probably 100 or more nuts from square blanks but still know that the next one I start could easily end up in the bin.

Thanks Robin, I appreciate the detailed advice.

It looks like I will go the bone blank route now for sure and pack my patience. I also plan to tape up the headstock and surrounding area in case the files slip.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I would follow Robins advice above. As he mentions the key is going slow and allowing yourself to make mistakes. The great thing is once you are comfortable doing this your guitars will always be set up how you like them. How cool is that.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:24 PM

I would be very much interested in the outcome, following. Thanks
Old 05-18-2022, 05:55 AM

Yup! I went ahead and purchased a few bone blanks, nut file set and ruler from StewMac yesterday after getting Robin’s advice.

I’ll try my best to take some photos as I go and will report back here.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:10 PM

MusicNomad MN670 6-piece Acoustic Guitar Diamond coated nut file set light/medium strings, $89.00.

I haven’t used these, but thought they might be an option for you.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:33 PM

Thanks, airbone1, I had already gone ahead and purchased the filing set from StewMac. Robin was right, they are just OK. Got the job done but that diamond coated set could be the better option.

And I am not really sure what to say about the process for those who wanted an update. IMO, it is NOT enjoyable. I sanded everything by hand, only doing one nut, and it took me quite a long time. It's messy and time consuming.

With that being said a couple of bullet points about it:

- the original nut came out very easily and I can always go back to it
- unfortunately I had an issue with the sandpaper (which was brown) discoloring the bleached nut as I sanded (I didn't expect this to be an issue)
- I clamped and glued the nut when it's shape was close and then proceeded to use a soft filing set to finish shaping it so it wouldn't discolor
- a tip of one of the filers broke as I foolishly was trying to cut the nut slot too far at the end of the file and when it slipped it broke

I am quite happy with the finished product though. I think it looks professional enough and the string spacing/action is definitely improved.

IMG_1653071525.802467.jpg
IMG_1653071539.458587.jpg
IMG_1653071550.500448.jpg
IMG_1653071558.973732.jpg
IMG_1653071567.747106.jpg
IMG_1653071590.877705.jpg
IMG_1653071596.390156.jpg

Last edited by A.Wilder1; 05-20-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM

Thank you for the update, nicely done, this gives me more confident's to do one myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair