The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-14-2022, 04:37 AM

Default Glue for stiffening braces

Hello and thankyou for reading.

For several months I've been flattening a 6 string body using a combination of strap clamps and humidity. The guitar had serious dips and humps in the bridge area. Neck projection is now good, so I think its ready to glue in a couple of additional stiffening braces to the top.

2 questions that I have are :

What would you recommend as the strongest or most effective glue to use ? As I expect that the top will have a memory set and sooner or later will want to return to its previous condition, unless restrained.

And, should I glue the braces in while applying and keeping for a while some strap clamp flattening pressure to help hold the almost flat original 40' radius of the two extra soundboard braces to the top ?

I usually use Titebond Original for general repairs and a marine grade epoxy resin for something I (or someone else) wouldn't want to take off again.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
Hello and thankyou for reading.

For several months I've been flattening a 6 string body using a combination of strap clamps and humidity. The guitar had serious dips and humps in the bridge area. Neck projection is now good, so I think its ready to glue in a couple of additional stiffening braces to the top.

2 questions that I have are :

What would you recommend as the strongest or most effective glue to use ? As I expect that the top will have a memory set and sooner or later will want to return to its previous condition, unless restrained.

And, should I glue the braces in while applying and keeping for a while some strap clamp flattening pressure to help hold the almost flat original 40' radius of the two extra soundboard braces to the top ?

I usually use Titebond Original for general repairs and a marine grade epoxy resin for something I (or someone else) wouldn't want to take off again.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Did you consider using a Bridge Doctor to avoid all that work?
Old 05-14-2022, 07:28 AM

Most builders use hot hide glue or Titebond original. I've used both, both work.

What keeps the top in shape is the brace itself - I shape mine to fit the contour I want for the top (usually a dome peaking at the bridge. The brace is straightened by the spring in the top, so you like some of the shaping - a ladder bridge shaped to rise 1/4 inch in the centre might end up with only 1/8 inch rise.

The most important thing is to get a perfect fit the full length and width of the brace; that produces the strongest joint whatever glue you use.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
...Neck projection is now good, so I think its ready to glue in a couple of additional stiffening braces to the top. ....
If you "flattened" the top why would want to add braces? Do you want to deaden the top and change the sound?

When I do a belly reduction, the procedure restores the top to near-original shape and it's good for another 20 to 50 years.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:20 PM

I need to flatten this top myself.

Hide glue is not suppose to creep.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Did you consider using a Bridge Doctor to avoid all that work?
Thanks for the reply Rudy.
I have used bridge doctors with good result for at least flattening and stabilising the top on mid price range guitars. The owners say there's been no effect on the sound or at least noticeablely so, but I have read that others have .

The reason I'm using 2 braces instead is that this ( after top flattening ) is the manufacturer's and professional luither's fix for the issue.

Also the guitar is top shelf and the owner ( a family member) wants to go that way .And wants me to do it .

Im confident I can do it well, but it is a task I've not done before. I have fixed loose braces though and always used Titebond Original for that task.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:00 PM

Yikes Fred.
Coates Hire have "steam -rollers "and it looks like it needs both !

Last edited by donnyb; 05-14-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I’ve used LMI’s yellow instrument glue and it seems that it has a bit more “grab” than regular yellow glue and sets up a little harder.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
Most builders use hot hide glue or Titebond original. I've used both, both work.

What keeps the top in shape is the brace itself - I shape mine to fit the contour I want for the top (usually a dome peaking at the bridge. The brace is straightened by the spring in the top, so you like some of the shaping - a ladder bridge shaped to rise 1/4 inch in the centre might end up with only 1/8 inch rise.

The most important thing is to get a perfect fit the full length and width of the brace; that produces the strongest joint whatever glue you use.
Thanks Chris. I have shaped the brace to go behind the bridge to the original 40 foot radius of the top. I read that many steam the tops flat. I've not done so as in my experience with steam straightening wood, it doesn't last. Maybe I did it wrong.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
If you "flattened" the top why would want to add braces? Do you want to deaden the top and change the sound?

When I do a belly reduction, the procedure restores the top to near-original shape and it's good for another 20 to 50 years.
Thanks Jon,

What method do you use to flatten a top ?
Old 05-14-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I’ve used LMI’s yellow instrument glue and it seems that it has a bit more “grab” than regular yellow glue and sets up a little harder.
Ahh, thanks for that Quickstep.
What's the work time with it ? The rear brace will be tricky.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jon,

What method do you use to flatten a top ?
I use the TJ Thompson belly reducer system. This one is a 1927 00-18. It didn't need much reduction but since bridge was off I treated it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Or steam it. Worked on an Ovation plywood top.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-15-2022, 12:01 AM

I would not radius a brace added below the bridge. The torque on the bridge will pull some belly in that area.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
I use the TJ Thompson belly reducer system. This one is a 1927 00-18. It didn't need much reduction but since bridge was off I treated it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Or steam it. Worked on an Ovation plywood top.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Thankyou for the photos Jon.

So heat used with the belly reducer . I have read these work well.

With the Ovation steaming, does it hold its position well because of the ply construction?
Old 05-15-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I would not radius a brace added below the bridge. The torque on the bridge will pull some belly in that area.
Thankyou John. I tossed and turned about that with the rear brace , thinking "why give the belly area a head start.?"
Glad you settled that one before gluing it.

Im starting the transverse brace in front of the bridge today and can see a benefit in radiusng that one. Would you concur ?

I

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair