The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 06:17 PM

Smile 2016 Tony Vines SL 00 Carpathian/Figured Brazilian Cherry SOLD!

Presenting my 2016 Tony Vines "SL" (00) in Carpathian Spruce over Dark Figured Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba). Tony is a great builder and has frequently posted here on AGF. His guitars have been featured with the best of the best at Dream Guitars, Guitar Gallery and Luthier's Collection. He's made guitars for quite a few famous players, including Johnny Cash.

This guitar has been my all around favorite for a while. Incredible clarity, sustain and note separation. Deep lows, punchy mids and fat, round trebles along with a comfy mid-size body and generous nut width/string spacing, have made this my go to fingerstyle guitar.

All of the details (materials/design/fit & finish) on this build are just bonkers. The figured Brazilian Cherry is truly unique and has a honey/amber luminescence and chatoyance unlike any wood I've ever seen (pictures were taken in bright sunlight to try and capture some of the effect). The Amazon Rosewood and Bocote rosette has contemporary Matsuda/Kraut type look and explodes out to the edges of the upper and lower bout. Amazon Rosewood is used on the fretboard, bridge, binding, and headstock (front and back). Truly a work of art!

Here is the full build thread from 2016:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=425098

In near mint condition, setup is perfect (5/64ths 4/64ths with full saddle) and includes the original custom Ameritage case.

Tony's current custom builds start at 15K. His lesser known status makes his used instruments a steal for those in the know.

I'm asking $5400 net $4400 net, shipped and insured. As always 72 hr inspection period is included.

I've committed to a bunch of builds and will need to sell my current collection, so no trades please. GAS is real, haha.

Some samples recorded by Tony himself:

More pics from the build thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...2&postcount=81

All the detailed specs:

Rare Dark Brazilian Cherry Back and Sides
Beautiful Carpathian Spruce Top
Amazon Rosewood Binding and appointments
Soundport bound in Amazon Rosewood
Contemporary Rosette design with Bocote and Cocobolo
Bocote Radial Purfling with contemporary accents
Amazon Rosewood Fingerboard with integrated B/W/B purfling lines
Amazon Rosewood Bridge with Tintul Parisian Eye Bridge Pins
Amazon Rosewood Headstock Veneer with contemporary accents
Five Piece Low Profile Neck
Two Way Adjustable Truss Rod
Gold Gotoh 510 mini tuners
13 frets to body
1 and 13/16 at the Nut
2.315 string spacing at the Saddle
12 to 20 compound radius
Scale Length 24.75
Upper Bout Width 10.12
Lower Bout Width 14.38
Body Depth at Tailblock 4.31
Body Depth at Neck 3.31
Body Length 19.50

Jatoba, otherwise known and Brazilian Cherry, is a dense, vitreous wood with characteristics similar to rosewood. The density and hardness ratings are almost identical to Madagascar Rosewood. Many builders including Bruce Sexauer have built with Jatoba and find it to be an excellent tonewood.

The “SL” is Tony's offering featuring a “OO” size body and a 24.75 scale. The 14 and 3/8ths lower bout, shifted forward waist, combined with the 13 fret to body places the guitar in an extremely comfortable position to counteract hand, wrist and shoulder issues. The shorter scale offers a pleasant feeling string tension.

Bio of Tony Vines
In 1989 Tony began his lifelong career as a professional Luthier. Early in his pursuit of lutherie excellence, Tony built 5 guitars per year and logged over 400 repairs as owner/operator of the premier musical instrument repair shop of Kingsport, Tennessee. During these early years he gained extensive knowledge regarding design and function of a wide variety of musical instruments. This knowledge began to harmonize with Tony’s creative passions and the song of Tony Vines Guitars was written. Through the years many great artists have cherished ownership of his handmade world class guitars…most notably Johnny Cash and Joe Carter (son of A.P. and Sara Carter). More of Tony’s artistry can be seen at the National Music Museum in Vermillion, South Dakota.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.3 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (43.4 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (52.1 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (43.7 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (48.2 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (43.9 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg case.jpg (96.9 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by inc0herent; 05-28-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:10 PM

To the top for this rare beauty!
Old 05-17-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Tony builds some of the nicest guitars out there, and he is also a super nice guy. Coincidence, I think not. This one is a little outside the box design-wise (per Tony's usual aesthetics), but very well done and very attractive. A great price too.

If I didn't share in your GAS syndrome, I'd be all over this.

GLWTS.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Tony builds some of the nicest guitars out there, and he is also a super nice guy. Coincidence, I think not. This one is a little outside the box design-wise (per Tony's usual aesthetics), but very well done and very attractive. A great price too.

If I didn't share in your GAS syndrome, I'd be all over this.

GLWTS.
Thanks man! I've spoken with Tony as well and found him to be very warm and friendly as well as knowledgeable. I think the fact that he is a great player informs his building and is the reason his guitars are consistently superb.

He went with a more modern, Somogyi-ish look with the rosette. I think it's neat and love that it's so unique. The detail, fit and finish and materials selection are really top notch on this one.

Last edited by inc0herent; 05-25-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:56 AM

Humpday Bumpday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (42.8 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by inc0herent; 05-25-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:14 PM

Bump for big discount. Any takers?

Last edited by inc0herent; 05-27-2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:32 AM

What a beautiful guitar. I met Tony at Woodstock once and he was a very open and nice guy. This guitar is stunning and it sounds amazing in those clips. Unfortunately, I am in the same position in upcoming builds or this would be in my room! And, don't get any ideas of bringing it to B.I.G. so I can just "try it" LOL!
Old 05-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice One Seth!

Very sweet axe from a lovely gentleman! And guitar scholar…

Seth and I had a great meet and pick session a few months ago. The four he brought with him were all VERY NICE and in wonderful condition too. He takes great care of his instruments and the setups were excellent as well.

I hope this helps someone decide.

Push the buy button and thank me later. (Thank Seth too)

I don’t expect this to last long at this price!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-28-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
What a beautiful guitar. I met Tony at Woodstock once and he was a very open and nice guy. This guitar is stunning and it sounds amazing in those clips. Unfortunately, I am in the same position in upcoming builds or this would be in my room! And, don't get any ideas of bringing it to B.I.G. so I can just "try it" LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Very sweet axe from a lovely gentleman! And guitar scholar…

Seth and I had a great meet and pick session a few months ago. The four he brought with him were all VERY NICE and in wonderful condition too. He takes great care of his instruments and the setups were excellent as well.

I hope this helps someone decide.

Push the buy button and thank me later. (Thank Seth too)

I don’t expect this to last long at this price!!!

Paul
Thanks for the kind words friends! She's sold here on forum. Thanks AGF!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars