The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-24-2022, 10:55 AM

Default Slightly late NGD Ibanez J Custom RG8560

Picked this up about a month ago. Ibanez rarely offers this pickup configuration. I got it though Sweetwater. It's Sweetwater exclusive/Japan only model.

Pros: Light, extremely low action, versatility, it's easy on the eyes.

Cons: Pickups are a little thin sounding. Doesn't quite have that 80's fat Super Strat sound. I might get a Tom Anderson some day. If not, I might replace the pickups with Tom Andersons. On the flipside, I don't have anything else with an honest to goodness Fender sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibanez1.jpg (63.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Sam, what a fantastic Ibanez - Congrats! I just looked up the specs and it's a top of the line.

I'm not familiar with the DiMarzio Black Velvet pickups but they're listed as "made for thick high-gain tones". Are you playing high gain music? I could see how they could seem thin depending upon the music.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sam, what a fantastic Ibanez - Congrats! I just looked up the specs and it's a top of the line.

I'm not familiar with the DiMarzio Black Velvet pickups but they're listed as "made for thick high-gain tones". Are you playing high gain music? I could see how they could seem thin depending upon the music.
Thanks!

The tonal description on the website is what I'm after. For high gain, they're a little thin and noisy.

Another reviewer:
Quote:
Second, the pickups. I took a chance on these, Black Velvet, no one really knows much about them and couldn't find any info. I can't say I am impressed in any way. I find them kind of thin sounding. Especially when they are describes as thick sounding.
If I get a Tom Anderson, will likely leave this guitar as is. If I don't, will probably swap it. The tone is interesting, but sounds more like a Fender than a Ferrari of a Super Strat. Plays like a Ferrari without a doubt.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Thanks!

The tonal description on the website is what I'm after. For high gain, they're a little thin and noisy.

Another reviewer:

If I get a Tom Anderson, will likely leave this guitar as is. If I don't, will probably swap it. The tone is interesting, but sounds more like a Fender than a Ferrari of a Super Strat. Plays like a Ferrari without a doubt.
I did some more Googling on the Black Velvet and there's very little out there and nothing on the DiMarzio website. That tells me that DiMarzio made these pickups exclusively for Ibanez, like the IBZ pickups. Surprising that Ibanez didn't go with a well known and respected pickup on a MIJ guitar.

Throw a Super Distortion in there but I'm thinking you want a more modern sounding pickup? Looking forward to read about your Tom Anderson pickup if you go that route.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I did some more Googling on the Black Velvet and there's very little out there and nothing on the DiMarzio website. That tells me that DiMarzio made these pickups exclusively for Ibanez, like the IBZ pickups. Surprising that Ibanez didn't go with a well known and respected pickup on a MIJ guitar.

Throw a Super Distortion in there but I'm thinking you want a more modern sounding pickup? Looking forward to read about your Tom Anderson pickup if you go that route.
I'll keep ya posted if I go the Tom Anderson guitar and/or pickup route.

It sounds like an Ibanez exclusive deal. My main gripe is that there's zero info on the DiMarzio site, which makes it hard to compare it to other pickups since everything else has an output and EQ profile.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
...Pickups are a little thin sounding...
Dr. Steve's home remedy for thin-sounding Strat-style guitars: step up one string gauge, make any requisite action/intonation adjustments, and see if that takes care of the problem - if it does you've saved yourself a few hundred bucks on unnecessary upgrades...
Old 02-24-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Dr. Steve's home remedy for thin-sounding Strat-style guitars: step up one string gauge, make any requisite action/intonation adjustments, and see if that takes care of the problem - if it does you've saved yourself a few hundred bucks on unnecessary upgrades...
Good thought. Already went to my standard 10s.

By "thin" they have a pleasant vintage-ish sound. The guitar is more suited to classic tunes than my usual flavor of classic metal.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

have you adjusted the pickup heights?

that can sometimes make a huge difference, i would not think it comes setup from SW for your optimal tonal preference.

thats a killer looking guitar btw-i love amber type colors. if you haven't ventured over to tdpri , i would do so and look around the subforums and post your guitar pic and tell them whats happening. lots of experience there and they can save you from chasing tone using your $.

i'm sure someone over there knows this model quite well and will offer up adjustment tips.

d
Old 02-25-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
have you adjusted the pickup heights?

that can sometimes make a huge difference, i would not think it comes setup from SW for your optimal tonal preference.

thats a killer looking guitar btw-i love amber type colors. if you haven't ventured over to tdpri , i would do so and look around the subforums and post your guitar pic and tell them whats happening. lots of experience there and they can save you from chasing tone using your $.

i'm sure someone over there knows this model quite well and will offer up adjustment tips.

d
I have played around with pickup height. I got a little more volume when I raised the neck pickup, but with unwanted noise. It could be that the singles might sound better with 250k.

The pickups don't sound defective by any stretch.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:11 AM

Very beautiful guitar! I love the leaf patterns on the FB. Nice!
Old 02-25-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Oh Man!

What a great looking guitar! Congrats!

- Glenn
Old 02-25-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I'll keep ya posted if I go the Tom Anderson guitar and/or pickup route.

It sounds like an Ibanez exclusive deal. My main gripe is that there's zero info on the DiMarzio site, which makes it hard to compare it to other pickups since everything else has an output and EQ profile.
Email DiMarzio. I'm curious to know what their reply would be and whether they would give you some specs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars