The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default 2 Emerald X10 questions

Does the sound port in the X10 tilt back towards the player like the new X7 ?

The size of the X10 is similar to that of an OM. Do the bevels make it feel a little smaller?

OK. 3 questions...
If you have one, do you love it?

Thanks
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Yes...yes... uhhh yes...Great plugged in.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 PM

Yeah.... I "need" one of those.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-08-2019, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Yes...yes... uhhh yes...Great plugged in.
How about unplugged?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-08-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
How about unplugged?
Not so much...seems made for the plugged in sound
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-08-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Yeah.... I "need" one of those.
Well yes...yes you do.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:32 AM

If I play my X10 unplugged it has to be the first or only one I play. I don't play it unplugged after playing my X30 unplugged. For me it's only played plugged in. That's what it excels at and your only limited by your imagination (and electronics). I've not played an X10 without a full house of pickups installed or an X7, so I can't offer any comparisons there.

What roll do you want it to fill? It sounds like you're leaning towards an unplugged comfortable couch box. What other guitars do you have or plan on getting?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I expected the X10 to be the "Goldilocks" guitar between my previous gen X7 and the X20, with additional plugged in options. In actual use, my X10 unplugged seems about the same volume as my X7, but mellower. Definitely quieter than the X20. And that is just fine when playing solo unplugged. I really like the balanced tone. Plug it in, and it really bridges the gap between acoustic and electric.

I had concerns about the 1 11/16" nut width, but I find that and the slightly thinner neck profile very comfortable. I did order my X10 with a 24.6" scale, resulting in a 13 fret join to the body. Access all the way up the neck is great.

Could it be your only acoustic? Playing solo, yes. Playing in an acoustic jam circle, probably not. Plugged in - absolutely.

Comparing it to an OM: I had a RainSong Shorty (essentially the same as their CH-OM) and currently have a Taylor Grand Concert 522ce 12-fret. The X10 is way more comfortable to hold and play than either of those. The soundport in the X10 does open up like the rest of the current Emerald line. May be due to the humbucking pickup sitting on that top and the other electronic stuff inside, but it is not the same "in your face" that I like about the X20 acoustically.

When I first considered the X10, Alistair told me, "If you want it for just acoustic, get the new X7 - they are similar in size. If you want it for playing plugged in, get the X10." Yep. I like it!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default X10 vs X7

I’m curious about an X7 with X10 level 2 electronics. Anyone tried that recipe?
The X10 is only 3” longer than an X7. In the travel guitar category i’m not sure the X10 would be anymore trouble in an overhead bin than the X7. So intrigued by the X10. Anyone in the Northern California bay area have one I could check out for a few minutes?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Guest 928

I've had several 10s, all nylon strung with 1 7/8" nut width. They are not loud, but they are loud enough. The group I play with includes a bass, a mandolin, a banjo, and a steel string guitar--and I can be heard (in part because the group is pretty dainty when it comes to sharing the sound waves).

The 10 is my ideal size, very comfortable, great for song writing, and suitable for acoustic play at moderate levels of projection. Sometimes, if the banjo gets out of hand, I plug into a small portable Roland and give the banjo some push-back. Plugged in the 10 can interface with just about any electrified environment.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
Anyone in the Northern California bay area have one I could check out for a few minutes?

Close on the map...a small map... a few minutes is all it takes, but you want to play it for hours...just sayin'.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=jWhat roll do you want it to fill? It sounds like you're leaning towards an unplugged comfortable couch box. What other guitars do you have or plan on getting?[/QUOTE]

I'd like it to be my one and only, for playing at home, writing songs and performance, recording. I'm looking for a guitar that's comfortable and sounds great. I'm drawn to the bevels of the X10 and to the neck. I played a new X7 and liked the sound, especially as I heard it in my ear. It felt a little small and 24" scale doesn't work for me. I'm partial to 1 11/16" nuts and thinnish necks. I have an Eastman 10OM--adi top and mahogany back & sides. It sounds great, but it has a thick neck and 1 3/4" nut. I have a Santa Cruz model H that was my one and only for awhile, but I decided that all the overtones Rosewood produces isn't what I"m looking for.

If I get an X10 it would be with the type of saddle that's on an X7 with the element pickup installed by Emerald. They said they wouldn't consider that a custom and I could still return it if I wasn't happy with it. However, the thought of possibly paying over $200 for import duty plus the shipping both ways doesn't thrill me. The shipping is OK, but the possible import duty is off-putting. I read in some threads here that some people are hit with that import duty.

So that's my story.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
However, the thought of possibly paying over $200 for import duty plus the shipping both ways doesn't thrill me. The shipping is OK, but the possible import duty is off-putting. I read in some threads here that some people are hit with that import duty.
I was holding my breath, but my guitar arrived a couple of days ago with no extra duty. The only extra I paid for over the base price was $55 for shipping. This is my second Emerald and it's a keeper, so I am not sending it back. My X20 arrived back in late 2013 with no import duty either. I am only a sample of two.

RP seemed to have one with duty and one without. I suspect that since this is the busy time of the year any hiccups are less likely. My guitar was in custom purgatory for no more than 3 days this time. Last time it seemed to be there forever. Another person to watch is Oscar who is likely getting his guitar this coming week.

Not that I'm planning or anything, but my next Emerald would either be an X20-12 or a uke Synergy.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Not that I'm planning or anything, but my next Emerald would either be an X20-12 or a uke Synergy.
The uninitiated could erroneously think that you're talking out of both sides of your sound hole there.... (And yes, I am guilty of trying to fool myself)
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I'd like it to be my one and only, for playing at home, writing songs and performance, recording. I'm looking for a guitar that's comfortable and sounds great. I'm drawn to the bevels of the X10 and to the neck. I played a new X7 and liked the sound, especially as I heard it in my ear. It felt a little small and 24" scale doesn't work for me.
Is that 50/50 unplegged/pluggedin and essentially no airline or bus traveling?

Have you tried a new X20? You can get what ever neck profile, nut width, scale length you want and have a fuller unplugged experience. I think the balance between comfort and sound is why the X20 has been their flagship model for years. An X20 may not feel as big as you think because of the bevels.

Maybe someone else here with 1st hand experience can describe the size and sound difference between an X7, X10 and X20.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber