The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Hi SM,

I'm kind of glad you resurrected this old thread on Backdrifter's Benedetto archtop. It was fun to read through this again and also interesting to read your story of your Collings.

- Glenn
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM

There's one thing that is puzzling me here ...if the guitar was made by the Fender Custom shop, then why would you even email Bob Benedetto, since I assume he had no hand in making it ...or did he personally handcraft the ebony tailpiece?

I mean, I wouldn't imagine that the first reaction of any electric player whose Gibson snapped at the headstock would have been to email Les Paul.

Maybe I 've gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick...not seeking to be confrontational here, just curious.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Totally unrelated to the guitar, how is the Benedetto DVD? Worth buying and watching?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
You had a failure of the glue joint between the ebony and the metal piece that attaches to the guitar. The wood failure was a consequence of that.

This was probably glued with epoxy. It's very hard to get a really secure wood to metal glue joint. The taper of the metal piece and its pocket in the ebony was intended to give mechanical backup to the glue joint, but didn't do much. I've found that some kind of screw or rivet arrangement is needed when putting a wood tailpiece on to a metal hinge. This can be entirely hidden on the underside of the tailpiece.
This is the exact case - still reading through the thread so sorry if someone else has "seconded" Howards assessment.

I've done many many arch top tailpieces and I always use screws/epoxy for the attachment. Wood shirinks/swells metal does not.

Kevin.

Kevin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops