The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Small shop: Hofner. Amazing guitars, new, well within your budget, and used, a ridiculous bargain.

Independent lutheir: Campellone. Beautiful work.

Andersen makes some amazing guitars, but I've not seen a full sized archtop from him under 10k...but I'm only commenting on what I've actually seen and played, not stuff I've heard about.
Agree about Campellone. His archtops are WAY underpriced. IMO, they are as good as other builders' archtops that are selling in the high 5 figures. Also agree about Andersen, except that he does have full size models under 10k.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 PM

http://www.blanchardguitars.com/guit...s/get/get.html

Mark Blanchard Luthier

Wonderful dream guitars someday:
Mark Blanchard Pinyon (00) Ad/Koa slothead 12fret contour cutaway, Mark Blanchard Sugarpine (000) Ad/Mad fan 12 fret contour cutaway w/Manzer wedge
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM

My custom archtops start a tick or two under $10K. This one was a bit more but it's the only picture I have handy. This is a copy of one of Merle Travis' guitars with a maple top.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Very recent addict to archtop here (in my case, a 805ce Eastman).
Please stop posting links to archtop builders.
Or... maybe two or three more, but not much more, ok ?
I mean... I got an archtop since less than a week, and I'm already looking elsewhere ?
No good, no good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM

Ah, archtops. An archtop is not something where you acquire the "best" one and claim it as a prize. Archtops are a journey, my friend(s). If you're starting with a 600 series Eastman, which has mahogany back and sides, you are surely enjoying a fine guitar, but you have not yet sampled the classic forms of the instrument. Nor would you do so, I'd argue, if you went straight to a private luthier and paid top dollar for a modern interpretation.

Gibson (with Lloyd Loar's help) invented the archtop guitar, and their forays into the art form are the basis for both many modern works and also for builders who stray intentionally from the mold. So if for no other reason than to educate yourself, you really must learn about Gibson acoustic archtops: L-3, L-4, L-5, L-7, L-10, L-12. Both 16" and 17" sizes, and both X-braced and parallel braced designs. Oval and F-holes.

If you can find them, original D'Angelico and early D'Aquisto guitars offer another offshoot from the tree that sprouted at Gibson. And Epiphones from the golden era are another realm - also one more easily found and purchased.

From here, one may explore Benedetto and his many disciples, plus the plethora of original and creative luthiers out there who form a list too long to cite. But saying that you have a certain number of kilobucks, so please tell me a guitar to buy... that's not gonna work out.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossw View Post
Regarding these small production Luthiers; Do you buy them sight unseen?

I'm surprised no one said Gibson? yet
Again, are you talking new or used guitars here? Are you talking about acoustic archtops (or ones with a "floating" pickup) or electric archtops (with the pickups mounted on the top of the guitar)? Nowadays, Gibson focuses primarily on their electric guitars, and archtops with pickups mounted on the top. If you want an acoustic archtop or one with a floating pickup, that's considered a "custom shop" guitar, and you're going to pay for it. Heritage makes their guitars cheaper, and they still operate out of the original Kalamazoo facility. If you're going to spend the money for something like a Super-400, you may as well go for something hand-made to your specifications.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 AM

Yet another builder of fine arch tops. His Dad, David, is a close friend and Wyatt carved guitars for Bob Benedetto for a number of years before setting up his own shop on Vancouver Island.
http://wilkiestringedinstruments.com/
Though I haven't played one, his Dad tells me they are very very good and his Dad taught me much of what I know about vintage arch tops.

Have fun in the hunt. It's a journey. A fine Archtop is truly "The King of Guitars".

My preferences, I should point out, are for the truly acoustic instruments. A simple floating pick-up doesn't bother me much if the instrument was built to play acoustically.

Last edited by Dr. Jazz; 09-20-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
But saying that you have a certain number of kilobucks, so please tell me a guitar to buy... that's not gonna work out.
Thanks for the reply, but my intent was not to have anyone tell ME what to buy..but more to hear what you guys would buy. I would have never considered a small production hand built archtop before mainly because I know nothing about them.

I'll now spend the better part of six months to a year educating myself and trying to play as many guitars as possible. But thanks to this forum, I'll try and track down some of the guitars mentioned as well.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
My custom archtops start a tick or two under $10K. This one was a bit more but it's the only picture I have handy. This is a copy of one of Merle Travis' guitars with a maple top.
Absolutely stunning guitar!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM

I'll second that this is going to be a long strange trip. I've been sampling, buying, and selling archtops for twenty years and I'm just getting warmed up. Don't even imagine that you'll find "The One" and be done.

I have some modern luthier made archtops that are fantastic, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't explore the history of the instrument to help find out what you like.

Other's have mentioned Epiphone's form the 30's and 40's and I'll back that up. They are a great deal and can last a lifetime. I don't think an old Epi should be any harder to maintain than any other guitar.

FWIW, I finally found true love when I got my first L-5. Considering what you get, I still think they are reasonably priced, and easy to find within your budget.

Since you're in NY, you should be able to find lots of examples to play in Manhattan and NW NJ. Play as many as you can. Enjoy the ride.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but my intent was not to have anyone tell ME what to buy..but more to hear what you guys would buy.
To understand what a person would buy, it would be useful to know what that person's experience has been and why s/he would choose that particular item. Archtops are a very idiosyncratic guitaristic fetish, not to mention expensive. They're very sexy and it's easy to think you want something very badly - based on looks and certain descriptors - only to have it in your hands and find that it doesn't work for you (or perhaps that you don't work for it!). This happens to so many people with archtops. They are an acquired taste even though they look so **** appetizing.

I've been lured by them for almost 20 years myself, and I've bought and sold a couple of good ones earlier on because I didn't know how to make them sound good. It literally took that much time to learn not only about the history, but also about the technique and touch required to play them. Now I love them all the more. All I'm advising is to put your hands on some. If you are in New York, you might know about:

Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, NY
Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ
Guitars 'n' Jazz in Summit, NJ
Golden Age Guitars in Westfield, NJ

Get thee to these shops and have at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I have some modern luthier made archtops that are fantastic, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't explore the history of the instrument to help find out what you like.
Thanks - this is what I was trying to say in my initial post.

As for me, my ultimate archtop might not exist: It would be a 1939 Gibson L-5PN (Premier natural) that somehow still had X-bracing rather than parallel. Barring that, I'd go for a 1938 L-5N non-cutaway with the bracing. Dunno if I'd put a pickup on her or not. Maybe a Johnny Smith if one would fit (it sure won't fit on my '47 L-5N).
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Absolutely stunning guitar!
Thanks! I've made 4 copies of that guitar, this one the most recent, the first one was for Eddie Pennington.
just for fun here is a clip of Big Ed playing "Blue Smoke".

http://youtu.be/7AwClOswvbM
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM

I know the OP is asking about archtops in a certain price range- but you might find a hidden gem in a less expensive vintage form. My Harmony 1960 H1457 was my first guitar and I bought in 2007. Since then I have bought and sold many guitars. That is the only one I will never sell. And it plays like an electric guitar (low, perfect action). All original, no neck reset and none needed, all solid woods: maple with spruce top, brazilian rosewood fretboard with block inlays, fully bound except the headstock.

Love, love, love it.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Another one to check out is Ted Megas, in Portland Oregon, a megasguitars.com. He's an excellent builder.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM

My money would go to Gary Flowers...

www.flowersguitars.com

He works with you on every detail.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops