The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 06:49 AM

For several years I've had a major lust for a solid mahogany top guitar. For several years I've also had a downturn in the household economy. Regardless, a few years ago I bought a Seagull dreadnought and an S&P folk, both all solid mahogany, and both really, really good guitars.

Unfortunately, besides a few gigs and a couple of recording sessions, the dread didn't get a lot of use as I found it too big for my aging shoulders. It was very lightly built, resonant, loud without being either strident or boomy...kind of ideal except for its size. The S&P was almost as good, though quieter, and I miss it at times but sold it to fund basic survival in this time of Covid.

There might be a light at the end of the tunnel, financially, and I've sold off several other guitars so there might be another mahogany top in my future. I'm hoping to find something used.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 AM

Add me to the Hog topped love in, I have a custom shop Gibson J45 all Hog, incredibly warm, balanced and all mine!!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:46 AM

I'm a recent convert. I purchased the Orangewood Oliver Mahogany as an experiment, and really enjoyed the extra clarity and punch of mahogany in the lower midrange.... really dug the sound of the Oliver in DADGAD tuning.. really suited the guitar.

My experience with the Orangewood put me on the market for another Mahogany topped guitar, resulting in my purchase of a used Ibanez AW54OPN Dreadnaught. Compared to my Spruce-topped dreads, I found the tone more focused and tight....I love how clear and well-defined my picking sounds on this instrument. Also really good resonance and overtones, but not as "juicy" as my spruce tops... and I like it. Hyperbole is common on these threads, but the Ibanez sounds much, much better than a guitar at its price point should.

I just recently replaced the Oliver with a Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert, which was an amazing upgrade. A much more refined and balance tone, and plays like a dream. The Whiskey-burst finish on the dark mahogany is really gorgeous.. definitely my favorite instrument at the moment.

I think a nice hog topped dread and/or concert is a nice addition to any collection. They certainly inspire a different touch and approach.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

There are styles where a lot of overtones muddy things up. Hog tops came onto my radar one Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. I saw many Americana groups with two guitarists. One of them was playing a 15 or 17 series 00 or 000. They played lead and the lines just cut through the mix.

I bought my 00 15 Custom for a different tone. It delivers. It does percussive rhythm very well, and rewards clean fast flatpicking with clarity. If I were a country blues picker, I'd have a SCGC 1929 00. The D 15s I've played were very satisfying. If someone had $900 for a guitar, I'd tell them to buy a used 000 15.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-04-2021, 03:30 PM

I have a Martin 00-17 Authentic 1931. I'm very impresses with it.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=622412&page=2

To re-surface the discussion about mahogany tops.. particularly considering string choice.

I finally got around to trying a set of Nickel Bronze (.012-.053) on my Taylor 324e. They've been on about a week. At first they were very flat sounding, but I do hear them warming, mellowing the more I play. I'm anticipating/hoping they continue to bring out the dry, woody tone of this guitar.

I had often wondered if the mahogany top accentuated the difference between the harsher, louder PBs vs the sweeter, softer 80/20s (more so than on my spruce tops). I think there might be something to that.

Ok... the more I play it, the more I like the sound (and feel) of the NB strings on the Taylor. Dry, woody, defined... Yes. Not as loud as PBs.. but that's ok... I've had spruce-ear for 50 years... I've recently come to appreciate mahogany's warm tone... and I do think Taylor's pairing it with blackwood is a winning combo. It's what drew me over the line into Taylorland.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 06-01-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=622412&page=2

To re-surface the discussion about mahogany tops.. particularly considering string choice.

I finally got around to trying a set of Nickel Bronze (.012-.053) on my Taylor 324e. They've been on about a week. At first they were very flat sounding, but I do hear them warming, mellowing the more I play. I'm anticipating/hoping they continue to bring out the dry, woody tone of this guitar.

I had often wondered if the mahogany top accentuated the difference between the harsher, louder PBs vs the sweeter, softer 80/20s (more so than on my spruce tops). I think there might be something to that.

Considering of course other factors; dreads, OMs, OOOs etc... I'm curious what string choice(s) other AGF'ers have come to prefer on their mahogany tops.
Martin Monels are my first choice on my Mahogany top guitars.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:16 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
......... The ones I’ve had that I liked a lot were Guild D-25M’s: they were very balanced sounding and louder than a lot of mahogany-topped guitars.

Good instruments.

Wade Hampton Miller
I have a Guild D-120C all mahogany. Really a nice player, you'd think it was a spruce top. Easily the best under $1,000 guitar I ever bought (I got it used for $450)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Solid Mahogany Tops?

I was very fortunate to luck into a Huss & Dalton all-mahogany Crossroads 00 model. Man, that guitar is a vibrating box! Super light and resonant and a total treat to play. Picked it up used from Boutique Guitars out of Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

From suggestions here on my NGD post, I put a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Medium Light (12-54 gauge) strings on my Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class earlier this week, and am really liking them.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-27-2022, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I love my all-mahogany Alvarez parlor and played a number of very sweet all-mahogany guitars by Santa Cruz and Martin over the years. I find that mahogany topped guitars are not as versatile as spruce or cedar topped guitars but they have their own unique quality. There are some good ones available these days at a variety of price points.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-27-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

If the Martin 000-15 had a 1.75 nut I would likely own one. Not sure why they decided to put neck with dread dimensions on that model?
Maybe for us freaks that actually prefer 1 11/16, we do exist!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I just acquired this one, and haven't put it down since it arrived.

It is a 2013 Taylor 516, special ordered with a mahogany top.

20220429_150810.jpg
Old 05-28-2022, 06:03 AM

For those who like a 1-3/4” nut, you can get a 15 series custom from LA Guitars, I did and it’s my favorite of all the guitars I’ve ever owned. There is just something magical about it. It’s almost like the sound jumps right out of it, very lightly built, resonant and wonderful. The custom also has tortoise binding and is all gloss.

Also owned a Fall Limited Taylor 512ce-L10, which was also fantastic…I should’ve never sold that one.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 05-28-2022, 10:18 AM

As a fan of hog tops, glad to see this discussion still going. Have had a series of them over the last 10plus years. All nice ones. Had a Larrivee L05MT that was really nice. It was replaced by a 90s vintage Martin 00017s. That was very special. Liked it even better than the 15 series Martins. Sold it to a friend so I still get to play it. Have had a Santa Cruz PJ that’s all mahogany for about 5 years or so and it is a unique and wonderful little guitar. I play most everything I can play on it.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion