The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2022, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Using the separate output jacks on the Ibanez AAD300CE, I've listened to the separate outputs from the AP-11 Magnetic pickup and the SBT-K&K-like contact pickup and don't hear anything worth always running these pickups separately into two different channels. Doing so would give a player more EQ control over each pickup and would be wonderful for running effects on each, especially the magnetic AP-11. Otherwise, running the combined systems through the normal one output jack sounds great and may or may not benefit from a -3 dB @ 70 Hz, .5 Octave Q depending on the venue. In other words, my feeling is that this guitar and its dual-source pickup system is a worthy low-cost alternative for live guitar performance. Then again, what would this system or a similar one sound like in a Martin HD-28?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-22-2022, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm playing the Ibanez AAD300CE through my Vox AG150's Tube-Pre Channel, and I'm seated about 6-feet away from the amp. I have the K&K-style SBT pickup and the magnetic AP11 pickup balanced to my taste at a fairly loud volume. All I'm hearing is a full and balanced tone with a nice clarity of notes within a chordal wash, and with no stridency to the tone. Frankly, as much as I'm into the hunt for great amplified acoustic tone it would have been nice if I'd discovered the Ibanez AAD300CE earlier on and saved myself a lot of thrashing about.

Acoustically, the guitar sounds well-balanced with playing ease and has a strong bass punch when you want to lay a bit more into the E-6th-string. Its tone and volume are pleasing but it isn't near Martin D-28/HD-28 territory but may improve with a swap out of its factory-installed 12-53 light-gauge strings for a set of 13-56 mediums, or 12-56 light-mediums. This guitar shines as an acoustic-electric and I recommend giving one an audition to hear if it may be good for a backup or main ax for club dates. At USD$799, plus extra for a gig bag or hardshell case, IMHO it's a decent, no-brainer value.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-22-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Let's see, I've just played my Larrivee D-40R Sunburst with Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 DIY Combo, and my Larrivee D-03R Sunburst with Ultra Tonic 3.2 through my Vox AGA 150. Now, following those really decent-sounding setups, I've just played my Ibanez ADD300CE with its factory-installed, dual-source, AP11 Magnetic, and K&K-style SBT pickups. I'm hearing a more pleasing amplified tone than the first two systems deliver and it has very little magnetic-sounding tone in its mix. This low-cost guitar could be an answer to many a performer's amplified concerns if you don't mind going onstage with an $800, well-made, acoustic-electric guitar that sounds decent when played acoustically only, too! There's no looking back on my purchase of the Ibanez AAD300CE!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-04-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Let's see, I've just played my Larrivee D-40R Sunburst with Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 DIY Combo, and my Larrivee D-03R Sunburst with Ultra Tonic 3.2 through my Vox AGA 150. Now, following those really decent-sounding setups, I've just played my Ibanez ADD300CE with its factory-installed, dual-source, AP11 Magnetic, and K&K-style SBT pickups. I'm hearing a more pleasing amplified tone than the first two systems deliver and it has very little magnetic-sounding tone in its mix. This low-cost guitar could be an answer to many a performer's amplified concerns if you don't mind going onstage with an $800, well-made, acoustic-electric guitar that sounds decent when played acoustically only, too! There's no looking back on my purchase of the Ibanez AAD300CE!
Do they have the same pickup system in a smaller bodied guitar? I'm done playing dreads at gigs.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Do they have the same pickup system in a smaller bodied guitar? I'm done playing dreads at gigs.
Jack, this particular combination of pickups, the AP-11 Magnetic and the K&K-like Contact pickup, is at this time only available in the Advanced Acoustic Series AAD300CE dreadnought. The Advanced Acoustic Series, which currently only features dreadnought models, is quite new so I'm thinking Ibanez may soon be offering an OM or Concert model in this Advanced Acoustic Series with the aforementioned pickup combination. My PA300E which is part of the PA Series has a three-way pickup combo that features the AP-11 Magnetic, K&K-like Contact, and a UST pickup. This guitar, however, is very large and not what you'd want if you're looking to get away from a dreadnought model.

You can check on the Ibanez acoustic guitars at their website
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-07-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Jack, this particular combination of pickups, the AP-11 Magnetic and the K&K-like Contact pickup, is at this time only available in the Advanced Acoustic line in dreadnought models. The Advanced Acoustic Series, which currently only features dreadnought models, is quite new so I'm thinking Ibanez may soon be offering an OM or Concert model in this Advanced Acoustic Series with the aforementioned pickup combinations. My PA300E which is part of the PA Series has a three-way pickup combo that features the AP-11 Magnetic, K&K-like Contact, and a UST pickup. This guitar, however, is very large and not what you'd want if you're looking to get away from a dreadnought model.

You can check on the Ibanez acoustic guitars at their website
I didn't understand the need for a bigger guitar?? Also, they put a very nice electronics/pickup system in this guitar which would make it great for the stage, but who wants to play for 3-4 hours with this huge bodied guitar. For an occasional open mic I guess it's OK, but for weekly gigs would not be ideal IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification