The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-03-2022, 07:21 PM

Default Elzic's Farewell

Here's a quick demo of Elzic's Farewell. It's a tune that is widely known in the old time community, especially as a fiddle tune, but it's one of those modal tunes that translate well to drop D guitar. The form is traditionally AABBCC, but you'll find other variants that are played. The actual tune melody also varies quite a bit, and even the degree of "crookedness".

I did this as a quick demo for my new Zoom R20 recorder and I'll post it again with a second guitar and bass overdubbed as it's a bit more palatable in a more flushed out setting.

With second guitar and bass added:

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-03-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=Rudy4;6993876]Here's a quick demo of Elzic's Farewell. It's a tune that is widely known in the old time community, especially as a fiddle tune, but it's one of those modal tunes that translate well to drop D guitar. The form is traditionally AABBCC, but you'll find other variants that are played. The actual tune melody also varies quite a bit, and even the degree of "crookedness".

HI Rudy,
Very well played tune.
I love the sound of your guitar, and your recording set-up looks so cool!!!
You are an excellent guitar player!
Thanks for sharing.
Rene
Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=ReneAsologuitar;6994135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Here's a quick demo of Elzic's Farewell. It's a tune that is widely known in the old time community, especially as a fiddle tune, but it's one of those modal tunes that translate well to drop D guitar. The form is traditionally AABBCC, but you'll find other variants that are played. The actual tune melody also varies quite a bit, and even the degree of "crookedness".

HI Rudy,
Very well played tune.
I love the sound of your guitar, and your recording set-up looks so cool!!!
You are an excellent guitar player!
Thanks for sharing.
Rene
Thank you, Rene. I did this quick recording to demo the use of my new Zoom R20, more detail about that over in the "Record" section of the forum.

As far as playing ability, I started as a 10 year old and I'm now older than dirt. It's the one good thing about getting "older"!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell