The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2022, 06:03 PM

Default Slotted Bridge Pins

Why would a custom luthier build an expensive acoustic and put in slotted bridge pins? What am I missing?
Old 04-10-2022, 08:20 PM

Richard Hoover, the guy who started and runs Santa Cruz Guitar Company, believes that the best approach is to slot the bridge pin and the string hole in the bridge--each one slotted half the diameter of the string. I don't know that I'm convinced of his logic, but you can't argue with the quality of the guitars he makes.

With guitars, it seems there's always more than one way to make one that sounds great. I long ago gave up the idea that dovetail neck joints are superior to bolted necks. They both can sound equally good to me.

Larry
Old 04-10-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larpy View Post
Richard Hoover, the guy who started and runs Santa Cruz Guitar Company, believes that the best approach is to slot the bridge pin and the string hole in the bridge--each one slotted half the diameter of the string. I don't know that I'm convinced of his logic, but you can't argue with the quality of the guitars he makes.

With guitars, it seems there's always more than one way to make one that sounds great. I long ago gave up the idea that dovetail neck joints are superior to bolted necks. They both can sound equally good to me.

I’ve tried this and fully slotted bridge. I think a partially or fully slotted bridge sounds better to my ears than no slots and slotted pins.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00018 View Post
Why would a custom luthier build an expensive acoustic and put in slotted bridge pins? What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that many, many builders use slotted pins.

The argument has been made (by a few well known builders of high end guitars) that solid contact between the ball end and the bridge pin improves the sound.

There are trade offs to using slotted pins if that's what you choose to use. I prefer to slot the bridge and use solid pins, but that's so the ball will lodge against the bridge plate and not wear the back edge of the hole.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:39 AM

Thanks all for your info. The pins are fully slotted so not the Hoover style. I can't argue that the sound for a new guitar sounds really, really good. But, like most humans, I can't help but think that it might sound even better with non-slotted pins... not to mention the longevity.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:17 AM

Yup some very high end builders use slotted. I only use them on guitars with very thin pyramid bridges. When done accurately it's probably not going to be a problem but IMHO it's best to slot the bridge and use solid pins. It just makes sense and it has nothing to do with tone but everything to do with protecting the bridge plate.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:02 PM

Curious if its time factor? easier... less time involved with slotted?
Old 04-11-2022, 03:33 PM

Default a thought

It could be, as suggested above, that some builders use slotted pins to save the time and expen$e spent slotting the bridge/bridgeplate. Seeing as the work is hidden from view, that makes some kind of sense to me.

I'd be easily convinced that's why the factory-built guitars who use slotted pins wound up with them.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:25 AM

It takes me about 15 minutes but in a factory setting that is a lot of time. But still some small shop and very accomplished luthiers still prefer slotted and my guess is that has nothing to do with the time required to slot a bridge. I disagree with that approach but to each their own.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:35 AM

Default a thought

It may be that those 15 minutes matter to the person who tries to avoid those 15-minute tasks by puffing away on his justifications. .

Last edited by phavriluk; 04-12-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:47 AM

ok, thanks for the input. I shouldn't have brought that up...why really doesn't matter to me. Its a maple bridge plate. Probably something I don't have to worry about for a while. thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
slotted bridge pins