The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-31-2021, 09:10 AM

Default Suggestions for playing, viewing computer tutorial, and sheet music

at the same time?

When I'm learning a new song on a guitar tutorial on a computer screen I find it ackward to view the computer, also refer to the sheet music on a stand, and play the guitar at the same time.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2021, 09:19 AM

For me the first rule in reading notation is "don't look at the guitar". Perhaps the second rule should be "don't look at the screen".

What information do you get from the screen that is not on the paper? Perhaps you could absorb that first.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like perhaps you should be breaking the tune down into much smaller pieces to work on.

For my part, if I'm trying to follow and imitate what a teacher (or in your case instructional video) is playing then that's best done one very segment at a time. Maybe 4 to 8 beats, usually. So I'm repeating each short segment several times and after the first time or two I remember what notes I'm trying to play.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-31-2021, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Usually I will practice at my desk. I replaced the monitor in the photo with a 27" monitor. I'll have the sheet music on the desk and the video lesson or Transcribe! running on the computer.
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and using dual monitors.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
at the same time?

When I'm learning a new song on a guitar tutorial on a computer screen I find it ackward to view the computer, also refer to the sheet music on a stand, and play the guitar at the same time.

Any suggestions?
I can't help with any learning skills as such (I'm an inconsistent musical learner myself).

I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested a tablet screen which could be hooked up to a mic stand or sit on a wide, heavy duty music stand.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-01-2021, 04:24 AM

As a teacher (in Zoom), I've just recently hooked up a second monitor, and have a desktop music stand right beneath one of the monitors. So there are three displays close to one another, easy enough to flip my gaze from one to another depending on what each one is showing (student, sheet music, any other image or document). I don't need to look at my guitar (yeah, I'm that good, right? ), although I naturally have a camera trained on that, so I can show close-ups of fingering for the student. So sometimes that second monitor is showing my own hand on the fretboard (or wherever). Where the second monitor really helps is when sharing the screen for the student (to show them some notation, or maybe a youtube) - I don't have to have too many windows open on the one monitor.

In fact I also have two cameras, so I can flip between a close up of either hand (angling the camera), or a wider angle showing both hands. (I rarely include my face in the wider view, nobody needs to see that... )

For your purposes, of course, you don't need all that hardware, but I definitely recommend a desktop music stand close by your monitor (or laptop or whatever you use), rather than a floor-standing one which you have to turn away to look at. Plenty available, this is mine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-MUS25...dp/B077TMT4CS/

As stanron says, you shouldn't need to look at your guitar - even as a relative beginner - except very briefly now and then to make sure your hands are in the right position. You play by feel and sound!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write