The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidjohn View Post
I also have a Westerly RI made Guild jumbo 12 string. Bought it in 1989 and while I LOVE it that guitar has had more issues with the bridge plate and top bracing than I can ever explain here. So I too am looking for a carbon equivalent.
Well, the Carbon equivalent would be a Rainsong Jumbo with a 12-string neck no?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-06-2020, 06:27 PM

I played a 6 string X30 two years ago and would have gotten one then (if it wasn't that I already had an X20, so I got a Kestrel instead). I think the X30 would make the ideal 12 string body (even without GuitarDoc's and other's input). I have played an X20 - 14 too. It was an awesome instrument, but I am not so besotted that I can't go with something besides Emerald.

Somebody talk me down. What are the cons to getting a carbon fiber or any 12 string? I only see pros other than cost and wait time. It's been a long week.

Thank you for the input so far.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-06-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Somebody talk me down. What are the cons to getting a carbon fiber or any 12 string? I only see pros other than cost and wait time. It's been a long week.
Tom, I cannot come up with any major cons. Of course I am moving strongly toward all carbon fiber instruments anyway. The cons to any twelve string guitar is that it is a bit of a niche instrument for most of us. Mine sees rougly 10% of the play time compared to my six strings.

Three years ago I ordered a custom short-scale X20-12 and just love it. The 24.6" scale makes it a delight to play and the tone is really nice. It is so strong that it came with medium gauge 54-12 strings and tuned E-e, for 336 pounds tension -and it arrived from Ireland in tune! I replaced those with light gauge (47-10, 250 pounds total) and did not have to make a truss rod adjustment! I had tried a Chimaera and while it was an awesome piece of art, it did not quite work for my fingerstyle playing style and my left wrist. But I never forgot the twelve string side of that Chimaera and ordered my custom X20-12 within 4-5 months.

An X30-12 twelve string would be awesome with all that low end power to offset the jangly treble nature of a "twelver". After X20 or X30, your CF options are.... only Rainsong JM-3000 or WS-3000 now that they have reintroduced them. I had always lusted after a WS-3000 to pair with my WS-1000 but they disappeared from the marketplace before I made my move. Now they are back as of a few months ago. Talk to Ted at LA Guitar Sales and see what he can do.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
.... only Rainsong JM-3000 or WS-3000 now that they have reintroduced them. .
Per Dave, Rainsong can put the 12-string neck on any body size.

If you want a 12-string Rainsong Parlor, they will build it. Not sure why one would want one, but they can do so.

I do think the Windsong body is just right though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-13-2020, 08:22 AM

My dream 12 string would have Gibson Robot Tuners
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-16-2020, 09:45 AM

I'm trying to enjoy the holidays, but there's an X30-12 haunting my dreams. I like the satin finish of RP's X20-12, but I think I'd like to go with the new X20 fret board design too. How likely will that be a stock option sooner than later for the X30?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I'm trying to enjoy the holidays, but there's an X30-12 haunting my dreams. I like the satin finish of RP's X20-12, but I think I'd like to go with the new X20 fret board design too. How likely will that be a stock option sooner than later for the X30?
I'd be surprised if it doesn't flow through the rest of the range, along with the new bridge design, so there's some aesthetic continuity over the line.

I just wish they'd update the Amicus with the same offset hole design as the guitars. Mr. Hay said it wasn't going to happen a few months ago, when I asked him in an online Q&A - he's very partial to the Amicus the way it is.

It will probably change right after I order one
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Alistair has some great ideas going forward. I'm waiting for an email reply from him or his staff before I do anything else. I doubt I'll hear from them over the holidays, so I'll ping them again in the new year if I don't hear anything by then.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had an customized Emerald X20-12 for a year and when compared to my Breedlove custom 12, it holds its own, terrific sound, wonderful playability, lightweight (much lighter than the Breedlove although a tad heavier neck/head wise). It is worth mentioning, at least to my ears, that I can’t compare them sonically. CF has its own sound and it is not wood, but I like it and so do the folks who I’ve played with (prior to COVID). The bevel helps it fit so well against my side that I can play it longer than any of my other guitars) and then the fact it stay in tune in all kinds of weather and I don’t have to worry about hot or cold, wet or dry ....and I could go on and on ....
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 12-21-2020, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

As a follow-up to previous posts, I'd add that I've had my satin black X20-12 and couldn't be happier with it. Although the satin finish added a few bucks, it was very much worth it to me - cool "stealthy" look that doesn't show fingerprints - but it was offset by ordering without electronics or Hiscox case. Plays and sounds great...

Fast forward to 2:12....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:03 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber