The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Best File For Fret Sprout?

My new Republic Tricone arrived and I'm not surprised that it needs some attention. The fret ends are protruding and pretty sharp. I know this is common and an easy fix for an experienced repair person (not me)

So, I would like to purchase the correct tool to perform this work. I feel like I have the needed mechanical aptitude to do this work and the stress level is fairly low doing this for the first time on an inexpensive instrument. I just need some guidance on what file I need before I jump in. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:33 PM

I use an 8" fine single cut file. I cut the tang off a new file and round over the cut off end, but that's not necessary for fret sprout work. If you're careful and angle just a bit you can run the file length-ways over the ends and stop before you do any damage to the finish.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:48 PM

I bought a file specifically made for that job from Stew-Mac. Wasn't as cheap as I thought it should have been, but it's made so the part that could contact the neck is smooth. So, easy even for an amateur.

I lived in Colorado, the land of low-humidity fret sprout, for many years, so I used it several times with great success.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I think I may have answered my own question. Several videos out there showing this leveling file being used to file the ends. Am I correct?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ing-files.html
Old 05-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Fret sprout is usually a symptom of dry conditions. Before you start filing away on the fret ends I would recommend bringing the entire guitar up to an acceptable RH level. If, after that you still have sprouted fret ends, a beveled file would be appropriate. After you do that you will still need to dress the sharp edges. A 3 corner file with “safe edges” is a good tool for this. It requires some technique, so do a search for instructions. Be patient. Easy to take too much off and create another problem. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Brad. I've gotten the guitar properly humidified and the frets are still sticking out. I have also gone down the youtube rabbit hole. I will certainly take my time. Even though it's a relatively inexpensive guitar there's no reason to be in a hurry.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM

If you're going bleary-eyed from Youtubes here's my 2 minute rendition. It also details how to make your own safe edge file for finishing the fret ends if you need to do that.

I also wouldn't choose to spend $50 and shipping on a cut-off file with a chunk of 2 by 4 glued on, either. There's always somebody willing to part you from your money.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-23-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Fret sprout is usually a symptom of dry conditions. Before you start filing away on the fret ends I would recommend bringing the entire guitar up to an acceptable RH level.
I file fret sprout while the instrument is still dry. Do it once and be done forever. Then re-humdify.

I just go to my tool box and pull out a regular fine cut flat file (the forum software won't let me call it was it is actually known by - a mill *******). Carefully file the sharp ends at about 60° from vertical when looking down along the neck length. Be careful not to scratch a surface or cut too deep into the edge of the fret board.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair