The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM

" None of these makers try particularly hard to make their guitars sound like wood"

I kind of disagree with this. I see Rainsong using various elements to have a woodier sound. I could be wrong but my new Emerald Doubleneck sounds much more woodlike than other Emeralds I have tried. Bottom like for builders is they have to add things to a pure carbon top, be it layering, braces etc, to make the sound more pleasant. Have you ever heard a pure carbon top, very metallic sounding. If you have to adjust why not try to get close to what has been an accepted sound for years. I absolutely love the voice of the Emerald Doubleneck and have no issue describing it as woody. But still each builder and model has a unique voice. Love the sound of my Rainsong JM 1000 BI.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-11-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Steve, I think Rainsong and Emerald have both worked hard to develop CF guitars that have a warmer tone. This often gets described as being woodier, though I think, in general, it really is simply warmer. Since the biggest complaints people have when considering CF guitars is that they sound cold or too bright, going warmer is a logical design goal.

I will stand by my opinion that CA is the only CF manufacturer that actually tries to make CF guitars that sound as if they could be made of wood. It's an oblivious and clearly stated goal that they use bracing to give their guitars a more traditional sound. I can't recall any statement from Rainsong, Emerald and Blackbird that they're trying to emulate the tone of wood guitars. I do think they're trying to make their guitars sound warmer, though.

My point is simply this: if you're interested in the advantages of CF construction, but want your guitar to sound like a wood guitar, you'd probably be best off considering CA first. If you don't care a bit that the guitar sounds like it could be made of wood and want a guitar to embrace the sound of carbon, the other manufacturers make more sense.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

No question that this was CAs stated goal and they were the only one that say it as part of their marketing. But warmer is really more woodlike? My favorite wood tone reference is my old 1967 Gibson J45, well aged and has a beautiful tone really. I just a minute ago played it and then my Emerald, and Rainsong. I have owned two CAs and now two Rainsongs and the guitar that nails that wood tone of the Gibson is the six side of the Emerald Doubleneck. It doesn't have the booming base of that Dred but tone wise it is scary close.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Wood or not... Hmm. Personal choice.

Thought I'd love my larivee parlor. I do.

Thought I'd love my Martin 0-15m 12s. I do.

But I keep going back the the Emerald X7-OS. I like the sound better. I like the brightness. I like the volume. I'm predominately a finger picker/classical style, and the X7 shines with bare fingers. It's definitely not short on bass either. The offset sound hole puts everything right there for you to hear.

I like the Emerald/carbon sound so much, I've ordered a custom X20-OS nylon with a slotted headstock. I'll be putting the Martin, the Larrivee, and probably a really nice Webber 000 up for sale soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Carbon Guitars

Does anyone know of a carbon dealer in Connecticut?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Carbon Dealers

This is as per the Rainsong Web Site.

RAINSONG Dealer:
Connecticut:
The Guitar Hangar
Brookfield, CT 06804
203 740-8889 203 740-8889 FREE
[email protected]

Happy Trails...!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
Wood or not... Hmm. Personal choice.

Thought I'd love my larivee parlor. I do.

Thought I'd love my Martin 0-15m 12s. I do.

But I keep going back the the Emerald X7-OS. I like the sound better. I like the brightness. I like the volume. I'm predominately a finger picker/classical style, and the X7 shines with bare fingers. It's definitely not short on bass either. The offset sound hole puts everything right there for you to hear.

I like the Emerald/carbon sound so much, I've ordered a custom X20-OS nylon with a slotted headstock. I'll be putting the Martin, the Larrivee, and probably a really nice Webber 000 up for sale soon.
Lovely! You have GOT to post some photos of the X20-OSN when you finally get it. I love the looks of that guitar and think the slotted headstock is a nice option.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Lovely! You have GOT to post some photos of the X20-OSN when you finally get it. I love the looks of that guitar and think the slotted headstock is a nice option.
Will do. Alistair is lengthening the headstock from the X5 version to match the larger dimensions of the X20, and I mentioned that he has free reign to try new things with it as well. Should be sometime around May.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber