The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Composite Acoustic's necks

I am a total convert to CA guitars. I have one of the orginal X's that came out before the new factory. It is my main plugged in guitar. I would like to add one of their dred models to my inventory sometime. My guitar is the old 11/16th neck and it is what I am used to. I use my thumb to grap the bass E string all the time. I am wondering if I should try to snag one of the older models off ebay and get the slimmer neck, it would probably be cheaper? I am not sure the 1 3/4 new necks would be the best for me. Are the new factory guitars that big an improvement over the later year orginal factory? I have a wider 12 string that i really cannot comfortably grab with my thumb infact it really pinches my thumb when I try it. I know you say go try one, but I live in Ohio and I do not thing I am close to a place
that carries them.
Steve

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-05-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:15 PM

I played my first CA guitar yesterday. It was a GX Performer with a 1 3/4" low-oval profile neck. The guitar sounded OK to me, but I personally did not like the feel of the neck as it was much to shallow. And I didn't enjoy the sensation of holding and playing the guitar.

I know many folks love these guitars, but they are not for me.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 04-05-2008, 04:02 PM
"Big Daddy"

I have a CA Legacy Performer and to be honest with you... I am still amazed.
I always thought that I would never play a "synthetic guitar".
I have to admit that Composite Acoustics got the formula right!
The neck feels great, it has amazing sound, and it stays in tune...while your in the swimming pool!
This is a special guitar. I can't wait to see what they come up with next!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Doubleneck,

I’m afraid this might be one of those questions only you can answer. One’s own anatomy can dictate choices no of us can anticipate. Although I generally don’t use my left thumb for fretting, I have on occasion. The CA has a wide, but thin neck, compared to the narrower, but thicker neck on my Martin. Because of the neck profile, the net result for my thumb is about the same, it seems just as easy on my 1 3/4 inch wide CA as on my narrower Martin. But you are going from an early CA to a later. I don’t know the neck profile of the early CAs. If they had a thick, roundish neck, like my D-35 you probably would be fine, but if the general neck profile is the same, but just narrower on the new ones, you might have some trouble. So, we’re back where we started: You’ve just gotta feel one . . . find a dealer on line with a good satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy

TC
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I recently bought a Cargo. I've never seen, let-alone played another CA, but if the neck profile is much the same, my assessment is that the CA neck flles and plays like a Taylor. So, if you like the taylor 1-3/4 neck, you'll probably like a 1-3/4 CA neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber