The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

It looks fine to me. Alvarez makes a good guitar, enjoy it. I have an Alvarez AP66SB, fun guitar to play.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-21-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
I understand what you are saying. I actually live in Israel. I'm from Buffalo /Pittsburgh, so I'm used to the kind of customer service you are referring to. Unfortunately I don't have a car here and the manager lives near me so he just dropped it off, after assuring me via email it's new out of the box. I paid him the equivalent of $349 cash in shekels.Customer service here is subpar, but as far as I could tell it was the last AD70 for sale in the whole country. It's not cost effective to ship from the US. The bemlishes are annoying, especially since in the email he said it was "perfect". That said I do really like playing it. The Yahama FG830 is very similar but doesn't have that big boom.
If you like how it sounds and plays, I think that you should keep it. You'll put your own dings and scratches in it over time, but it will always sound great. Another one in perfect cosmetic condition may not sound as good.

Hope this helps.

I'm also from Buffalo, NY.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
I paid $800 for my used MPA70. It does have an LR Baggs pickup installed, which would cost maybe $100 to buy one, but I don't think it affects the used value much one way or the other. New t probably sold for about $950, from what I can tell. I'm including a photo of it. Yes, the parlor is really nice for finger picking, which is how I mostly play.

My wife bought a used AD610 for about $200. I think she got an exceptional deal on it, as it probably sold new for what you paid for yours. However, yours is harder to find, the 610 is the more common Sitka top over Mahogany. If I saw yours available used, I'd expect to pay $250-$300 maybe, so not a great loss of value on used market. The difference with the all solid is not just the materials but amount of work. The Masterworks all solid body has a better lacquer, which takes more time to do well. It can be a difference of weeks vs days to finish the guitar. Also takes longer to make sides out of solid wood, and the time spent fitting and finishing the guitar is longer. All these increase the cost, then they take a higher margin on these guitars. The Artist series is made in a higher volume, so they are priced at lower margin to sell, so a better value in that sense. They make less of the all solid guitars, so mark up is higher. They may also do more decorative work. You'll see in the close up photo the Pearl inlay. It's a nicer quality inlay than on the Artist series. So over all just nicer, but not always nicer to play or nicer sounding. That totally depends on the guitar itself, whether it's solid or not tell you how good it sounds or plays. Solid will sound better usually, but not always.
Attachment 22851Attachment 22852
Cool guitar. Reminds me of the famous picture of woody Guthrie with his this machine kill fascists quote. How the projection?

Basically you're saying it's not just the materials, but process, art work, and sales volume. I guess that makes more sense. Still though kind sucks you have to drop about a grand to get what's considered a "real" guitar. I thought about doing that and getting a guild D140 or d40, but I'm saving up for a professional quality old time banjo. The high end alvarezes or even mid range, I haven't seen much of being sold in Israel. The market is more limited here, with mostly cheap instruments or high end, with Lil in the Middle.

My AD70 came with a hefty gig bag, but I'm planning on getting an abs case, just to keep it safe at home. What's your thoughts on case vs gig bag? I imagine the neck needs support it it will warp over time
Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post

My AD70 came with a hefty gig bag, but I'm planning on getting an abs case, just to keep it safe at home. What's your thoughts on case vs gig bag? I imagine the neck needs support it it will warp over time
The neck will be fine in either a case or gig bag. I like cases because they are more air tight than a gig bag. I keep my guitars in their cases during the drier winter months and each guitar has a sound hole humidifier.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The neck will be fine in either a case or gig bag. I like cases because they are more air tight than a gig bag. I keep my guitars in their cases during the drier winter months and each guitar has a sound hole humidifier.
Sounds like you still recommend a hard case. What do you think of the foam nylon cases? What does cause a neck to warp if not resting unsupported?

In central Israel it's fairly humid near the sea, and never freezes in the winter, so I don't think humidity is an issue. In the South in the desert it probably gets very dry.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:29 AM

I don't think you have to spend a grand for a reasonable guitar. I even said, at $350 the guitar you got is an amazing value. I have a Gibson J-45, worth maybe $1,200-$1,500, a Martin D-15, worth maybe $800-$1,000, and the Alvarez AD610, worth $200-$250. These guitars are comparable in many was. The quality difference between them the sound and playability, not as different as their monetary value. I like the Alvarez for many reasons, and the Martin & Gibson for different reasons. Hard to say which one I really like the best, they are just different, each better in some ways, not so much in others.

The projection of the MPA70 is good, for the size. It's not a dreadnaught though, of course, and won't project like one.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 AM

This one is definitely all on you.

Ask yourself these two questions.

1. How much do you like the guitar?
2. If you act quickly, return the guitar, how likely is it you can find the same discontinued new guitar at another store, even online?

If you really like the guitar, live with the small inperfections. The larger issues are covered by your new purchase warranty.

If you are just luke warm about the guitar and the imperfections will nag at you, return it. Begin a new quest.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
If you like how it sounds and plays, I think that you should keep it. You'll put your own dings and scratches in it over time, but it will always sound great. Another one in perfect cosmetic condition may not sound as good.

Hope this helps.

I'm also from Buffalo, NY.

Yeah I miss just being able to drive 5 minutes to Guitar Center on Niagara Falls Boulevard and have huge selection with professional staff. They don't have music box stores here.

I like the guitar. I think I'll just enjoy it, it's definitely got that change of pace from my s6 seagull that I wanted, and think about getting that Guild D40 in a few more years

Though I will say my s6 came I near perfect condition, there a few imperfections I've found owning it for nearly 3 years and even then you almost need a magnifying glass to find them

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion