The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 08:48 PM

I bought several new guitars and have played them for 100s of hours. They still sound as great now as when I first tuned them up. I hope they won't open up!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:17 PM

My experience is that different guitars are...well different. My Walker opened up a bunch in about a year of constant playing. My D 35 was a lot quicker than that. The Martin is Sitka,the Walker Italian Spruce. My Rockbridge changed dramatically when it turned about 10 years old. It has an Adirondack top.
Now get this. After 3 years of waiting I finally got my Daniel Roberts guitar around last Christmas (seems I always get myself the best presents. Dan says the top is supposed to be White spruce but could be Adirondack. He’s had the wood foe 20 years and forgot. The grain looks like Adirondack. The guitar was very very tight. I put on the ToneRite, no change. I left the ToneRite on for 3 weeks. Hey listen to this base! I have left the ToneRite on it for 5 months now and can’t believe the difference (yes I play the guitar too and yes the ToneRite is on it right now). Where originally the lower bout wouldn’t budge, now it vibrates like crazy - everywhere. The guitar has a great growl. I may be in love. Who knew? I would rather be lucky than good. Right now I’m lucky.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
My experience is that different guitars are...well different. My Walker opened up a bunch in about a year of constant playing. My D 35 was a lot quicker than that. The Martin is Sitka,the Walker Italian Spruce. My Rockbridge changed dramatically when it turned about 10 years old. It has an Adirondack top.

Now get this. After 3 years of waiting I finally got my Daniel Roberts guitar around last Christmas (seems I always get myself the best presents. Dan says the top is supposed to be White spruce but could be Adirondack. He’s had the wood foe 20 years and forgot. The grain looks like Adirondack. The guitar was very very tight. I put on the ToneRite, no change. I left the ToneRite on for 3 weeks. Hey listen to this base! I have left the ToneRite on it for 5 months now and can’t believe the difference (yes I play the guitar too and yes the ToneRite is on it right now). Where originally the lower bout wouldn’t budge, now it vibrates like crazy - everywhere. The guitar has a great growl. I may be in love. Who knew? I would rather be lucky than good. Right now I’m lucky.

Great story! Thanks for sharing your experience about how and when your guitars open up.

Would be great to see pictures of your Daniel Roberts guitar...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-05-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
It took my cedar-topped Seagull less than a year to open up but cedar is known for that.
Same thing with the Larrivee Cedar and Mahogany I owned. After about six months, that thing opened up nicely,and it was noticeable.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I wonder.

Does the guitar "open up"

or

Over time does our playing calibrate to the guitar subconsciously.

Making it sound better?

I am an amateur builder and even more amateur player with bad ears even. In November I finished an all-Allaskan Yellow Cedar guitar, top, back, sides, and neck.

The guitar changed it's tone A LOT every day for the first couple of weeks, and it is still changing 6 months later. This is the first guitar I have made that this has happened on. The trebles change, the basses change, and balance changes. At one point, the high 3 strings sounded exactly like my Martin 000-28, but not any more.

My so-called playing definitely did not calibrate to the guitar

Curioser and curioser

Ed
Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Great story! Thanks for sharing your experience about how and when your guitars open up.

Would be great to see pictures of your Daniel Roberts guitar...
I am having an issue attaching the image. Let’s see if this works. The Roberts has a 1-13/16 neck and a 25” scale. It is White Spruce over Honduran Rosewood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15BBDC5B-41D0-41FA-88AA-85112911C71A.jpg (50.0 KB, 106 views)
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 AM

For me it happens a few seconds after the case "opening up"😂😂😂😂
Old 05-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
I am having an issue attaching the image. Let’s see if this works. The Roberts has a 1-13/16 neck and a 25” scale. It is White Spruce over Honduran Rosewood.
Thanks! Beautiful guitar you got there! Enjoy playing it in good health!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
I am an amateur builder and even more amateur player with bad ears even. In November I finished an all-Allaskan Yellow Cedar guitar, top, back, sides, and neck.

The guitar changed it's tone A LOT every day for the first couple of weeks, and it is still changing 6 months later. This is the first guitar I have made that this has happened on. The trebles change, the basses change, and balance changes. At one point, the high 3 strings sounded exactly like my Martin 000-28, but not any more.

My so-called playing definitely did not calibrate to the guitar

Curioser and curioser

Ed

Hi Ed, don’t sell yourself short. I’m sure your hearing is better than what you claim. Thanks for sharing.

It would be great to see some pictures of the guitars you’ve made...
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-07-2019, 06:11 AM

Thanks, but my ears are bad for sure. Here is that guitar. Click left and right, text below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby16...7688488198220/

It is a pre-1929 Gibson L body adaptation, X- braced and 13 frets with a long scale of 25.4". I have built a few to this body shape - makes me think I'm Robert Johnson for a minute. The last slide has links to my blues-playing-guitar-repairing daughter trying it out at 5 days old with a plastic thumbpick and bare fingers.

6 months in and the neck hasn't moved at all yet.

Still haven't figured out how to post a picture on this site.

Ed

Last edited by ruby50; 05-07-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I wonder.

Does the guitar "open up"

or

Over time does our playing calibrate to the guitar subconsciously.

Making it sound better?
I think both. And there’s an ongoing relationship with my guitars. Sometimes we hit it off and there’s some overlap in the instrument’s resonance and my familiarity and playing skills at a given time that makes it more pleasing. Or not.

I think Bruce Cockburn mentions ‘funny sounds’ in a similar regard.

I can make some funny sounds with my guitars.

But I have appreciated my acoustic’s voice maturing. I think it will continue to impress me.

Opening up happens in my experience. And my familiarity and precision and melodic suppleness, hopefully keeps growing along.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:31 AM

That’s a beautiful guitar.

There’s a big difference in break-in between a Spruce top (softwood) and any hardwood (Mahogany, Koa, Walnut or in this case MW).

MW has the same hardness rating as Mahogany so I would expect them to act similarly. I had an all-Koa guitar which is about 30% harder and after a year it was still stuck in a midrange rut so I sold it.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post

Thanks, but my ears are bad for sure. Here is that guitar. Click left and right, text below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby16...7688488198220/

It is a pre-1929 Gibson L body adaptation, X- braced and 13 frets with a long scale of 25.4". I have built a few to this body shape - makes me think I'm Robert Johnson for a minute. The last slide has links to my blues-playing-guitar-repairing daughter trying it out at 5 days old with a plastic thumbpick and bare fingers.

6 months in and the neck hasn't moved at all yet.

Still haven't figured out how to post a picture on this site.

Ed

Beautiful guitar! :Up:

Thanks for the link to the pictures and also your labour in making the guitar. Just awesome! I marvel at the gift you guitar builders possess. I’m really bad at such things.

Do you sell the guitars you make or are they for your personal consumption?
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 AM

Default How long before a guitar “opens up”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
That’s a beautiful guitar.

There’s a big difference in break-in between a Spruce top (softwood) and any hardwood (Mahogany, Koa, Walnut or in this case MW).

MW has the same hardness rating as Mahogany so I would expect them to act similarly. I had an all-Koa guitar which is about 30% harder and after a year it was still stuck in a midrange rut so I sold it.

Thanks! I think it was you who told me about the link to “The Wood Database” in another thread to check the hardness of different wood. Very useful website!
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion