The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 AM

woohoo! I'm the first one up here!

https://www.facebook.com/EmeraldGuit...0873356454611/

Last edited by BongoSTL; 02-22-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 AM
Guest 928

Bongo;

And woo-hoo to you. Very nice! Congratulations.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
Fun to get a preview!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks for sharing, you're koa X30 is gorgeous. I'll be drooling over that archtop all day though. Any predictions on the name of their archtop line? I'm going with X15!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:36 AM

Those that have gotten guitars shipped from emerald...

Mine has been sitting at the same tracking for 4 days.... Normal? Thoughts?

Current Status

ITEM DESPATCHED FROM PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE
CO LAOIS 23-Feb-19
00:38
Old 02-27-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Current Status

CO LAOIS 23-Feb-19
Normal stuff....it just means they are passing it around the mail room for a few days before letting it go.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Current Status

CO LAOIS 23-Feb-19
Mine did the same thing, and both my Emeralds shipped on a Friday and arrived 8 days later on a Saturday in California. It is hard not to worry, but both came quickly despite days lingering in that status or the Heathrow one. I would add, once there is an EF number on the AnPost tracking page try entering that in the USPS tracking system. I found the AnPost tracking and USPS didn’t always match. Congrats on your incoming beauty.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Thanks all!

Here's a little eye candy :-)

and here's all the pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L6Ls8i4iMs8C5yAh8
Old 02-27-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Normal stuff....it just means they are passing it around the mail room for a few days before letting it go.
Normal. My most recent shipment from Emerald arrived on the day 7.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Looks like it may be going the long way and making the rounds through Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and perhaps even China.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Looks like it may be going the long way and making the rounds through Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and perhaps even China.
Blargh. You might be right. Still no update on the tracker!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Guest 928

Bongo;

I went through the same thing with my last Emerald. It was like a total blackout--no tracking info.

And then, the morning broke beautiful, the sun shined bright, a package arrived on my porch.

Your morning will come.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Blargh. You might be right. Still no update on the tracker!
Trust. And do not listen to those guys telling you the guitar is on a slow boat to China. More likely, it is on a train... and they just have to build that bridge across the Atlantic Ocean.

When I did get USPS tracking (by entering the AN Post #), I was able to see the guitar made it to our local Post Office 8 minutes after the carrier left the building... and then the guitar sat in the Post Office over a 3-day holiday weekend. In which case, the tracking just added to the angst of waiting.

It will show up, and it will be worth the wait. Three Emeralds: 4 days, 7 days, 11 days.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:49 PM

I think that the wait for my guitar to leave Heathrow was the worst. Pretty sure that every handler and their Uncle over there had to take a turn at playing it.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 AM

it's here! Here is my review a month in: (photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/L6Ls8i4iMs8C5yAh8 )

Sound: This is a world class instrument that is the equal of any of my other instruments. I also have a Santa Cruz D and OM, and a Froggy Bottom K, and I would put the sound of the guitar in the class of those other instruments without hesitation. It’s not the same sound as wood, for sure, but it is beautiful, and complex, and rings and rings and rings. I am planning to keep my Santa Cruzs (they each are highly sentimental to me for different reasons), but the Froggy Bottom is going to go, I believe. It’s an incredible instrument, but I’d rather sell it and get an x7 :-)

In terms of amplification, I went with the K&K pickup for a very specific reason: I also use a Tonedexter, and I have K&Ks in all of my guitars so that I have a consistent experience (It also means I can use the various settings to “model” my other instruments….). Interestingly, the output level on this guitar is MUCH higher than on my wood ones.

Sounds great plugged in.

Playability: First, let me say that the action, the playability, and the setup on this guitar are perfect. I am coming from a Blackbird Super OM, and so I am familiar with the perfection that carbon fiber makes possible, and Emerald does not disappoint. In addition, this solves one of my big pet peeves with the Blackbird, which was that when I would plant my pinky on the top to fingerpick, I would lose a ton of sustain. Not so here. Well done, Emerald!

However, playability is the only section that makes me wish I had been able to spend some time with the x30 before I purchased one.

Most of these are small things, but since I was ordering custom, I wish I had known them in advance, as I imagine with Emerald’s ability to customize, it could have been perfect :-)

To start with, I find that pretty consistently my thumb on my right hand hits the top of the fretboard when I’m travis picking. If I were doing it all over again, I would lose a few of the top frets and/or scallop it away from the bass side. Not a huge issue, but I do notice it.

This is an odd one, but the saddle is also quite sharp--I find that it hurts my right hand when I’m palm-muting. I’m sure a local tech can file it down for me, but FWIW, I’ve never noticed this on a guitar before. Similar thing with the nut, too.

The neck is actually a little on the small side for me. I had previously thought that I’m agnostic on necks (as long as the nut is 1.75+), but I actually find this one too small for me. If I end up getting an x7, that will be a change I’ll make. That being said, this is one of those things that I think is totally up to the hands of the player. In terms of playability, the neck, the frets, the action---the playability is impeccable.

The fret-work is great, with the only caveat being that i just got my Santa Cruz d12 back from their shop (a long story, but it lived there for 6 years until they put a brand new neck on it). Anyhow, I believe they are using the plek fret machine; the frets on that guitar are impeccable. Particularly with these being stainless frets, I hope this is something that Emerald looks into in the future. Plek-ed frets are truly a remarkable thing.

In terms of size: this is a big guitar, there’s no getting around that. But the engineering here is great, and it feels sooo much more comfortable than my dread…. Well done Alistair and team!

Looks: This is a stunning guitar. The koa is gorgeous, and creates a look unlike anything else. People comment constantly on it when I play it at my synagogue. I love the lack of fret-markers, and the overall cleanliness of the design. The x30 is really a stunner. Like many have said before, the veneer is *much* darker in most real-world situations than in the pictures that Emerald provides. I knew this going in, and chose accordingly, and am really, really happy with the results. There is nothing that I would change in the appearance of the guitar. Nothing.

Build Quality: This thing is beautiful, inside and out. It is basically a perfect guitar.

The only issue is one patch on the inside of the top, in the middle between the bridge and body, about the size of my thumbnail, that is rough and shallower than the rest… maybe a spot that a clamp was that didn’t get a few layers of fiber / finish / something?

Anyhow, that should serve as a reference point to just how beautiful and ****-near perfect every piece, inside and outside of this guitar, is. Like its sound, this guitar has the build quality of any world class instrument, that is clear.

Customer Experience / Build Experience: Emerald’s world-class guitars are partnered with a world-class customer-service experience. Every single person that I ever interacted with at Emerald was friendly, was knowledgeable, and was helpful. It’s a great team you have there.

This, in addition to the fact that door-to-door, my customer order took something like 10 weeks. Crazy!

Wrap-Up: There are a number of customizations that I will make so that the playability suits me better...when I order an x7. While I wish I would have done these things on my x30, this should tell you everything you need to know about how enamored I am with Emerald, and with my new guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber