The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-26-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Build Thread: Michaud OO-R

To celebrate turning a "half a century" in 2015, I decided to commission a custom build with Canadian builder Joel Michaud (Michaud Made). I owned a prototype guitar Joel built several years ago and based on my experience with that instrument, email correspondences with him over the years, and a look at the latest guitars he's built, I decided to go with Joel. He has been wonderful to collaborate with—I enjoy his approach, creativity and very high attention to detail.

The general specifications of my build are as follows:

OO-R, 12-fret
Engelmann soundboard
Quilted African Mahogany (Entandrophragma Utile) back/sides
Slotted headstock
1-3/4" nut
2-3/8" bridge spacing (wider than the standard 2-1/4")
25" scale
Bois de rose Bridge
Ebony fingerboard
Wenge body binding

Joel is a highly creative individual, and my strategy is to trust his judgement when it comes to aesthetics (in others words, I'm staying out of his way!). I chose the 12-fret body for a bit of extra "oomph" in the tone and because I really like the ergonomics of the 12-fret design with smaller-bodied guitars.

Here are some photos that beginning of the process to where the build is as today (1-26-15). I'll share additional images as I receive updates from Joel.

It's official—plane has touched wood!

Bookmatched sides, ready for bending

Freshly bent with mahogany double side.

My original Engelmann top/rosette. Unfortunately, Joel discovered a hidden pitch pocket during the final "thicknessing" of the top and decided it did not meet his standards.

The new Engelmann top and a slightly revised rosette design. Note the angled grain in the rosette pieces, which create a "herringbone" look. An ode to tradition in a modern design.

A closer look at the rosette

Beginning the back inlay

Back bracing initial glue-up

Back braces have been shaped and center tone bar has been installed. Caps ready to glue.

Last edited by dreamincolor; 01-26-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:22 AM

Preparing the back to be glued onto the sides

The back fully braced and carved

Back and sides have now become one!

Top is braced and glued on

Working on the body binding…

The back is shaping up…

Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 AM

WOWOW That is gorgeous!!! Really love the revised rosette! Simple, well thought out and classy looking forward to seeing that baby under finish!

Congratulations on your 50th! when is the expected completion date? You made a great choice going with Joel. Couldn't think of better hands my guitar being in haha

What is the inner side of the double sides? Honduran mahogany?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
WOWOW That is gorgeous!!! Really love the revised rosette! Simple, well thought out and classy looking forward to seeing that baby under finish!

Congratulations on your 50th! when is the expected completion date? You made a great choice going with Joel. Couldn't think of better hands my guitar being in haha

What is the inner side of the double sides? Honduran mahogany?
Thanks Marcus. I'm pretty sure my Engelmann top is a "sister" to your OO-R (same batch).

I believe we're shooting for early spring as the completion goal, and Joel appears to be right on track to meet that timeframe.

I'm not certain about the mahogany species used for the double sides—I'm guessing it's Honduran though.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Really beautiful! I love the art deco.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
Thanks Marcus. I'm pretty sure my Engelmann top is a "sister" to your OO-R (same batch).

I believe we're shooting for early spring as the completion goal, and Joel appears to be right on track to meet that timeframe.

I'm not certain about the mahogany species used for the double sides—I'm guessing it's Honduran though.
If that is indeed the case, you're going to have one heck of a guitar it's also extremely aesthetically pleasing with its intense medullary silking haha

Bet the wait must be excruciatingly long haha will definitely be worth the wait though do post more pictures of the build. I never tire of Joel's work. It's looking GREAT by the way.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Looks really great...thanks for sharing the photos. What a fantastic birthday present!

Col
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM

I really like the looks of this one. Beautiful wood.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Build Updates: 1-30-15

Joel's been busy with my guitar—here are the latest updates:

Beginning the rough out of the neck blank

Neck and body are routed for the mortise and tenon

Fitting the neck to the body

Headstock has been capped front and back with mahogany/wenge. Routing the slot head shape.

Results

Beginning the neck carving process

About half-way through the neck carving process. Working out all the transitions and heel shape.

Slotted headstock. Leveling the fretboard to the body.

Preview of the fret end treatment. Leveled ebony board, ready for the final neck carve and fretting.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM

That is coming together REALLY fantastically. You're nearly there!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the top being braced?

By the way, how did you and Joel decide on the tone woods for this build? And what tonal characteristics are expected from this back?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
That is coming together REALLY fantastically. You're nearly there!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the top being braced?

By the way, how did you and Joel decide on the tone woods for this build? And what tonal characteristics are expected from this back?
I don't have photos of the top/bracing.

I'm a big believer in the top (and bracing, design, etc.) having a much larger impact on the guitar's tone than the back/body. That said, we're hoping the mahogany will provide some "sparkle" to the (hopefully) richness and warmth of the Engelmann top. With some Engelmann-topped guitars I've played—and there are so many variables that affect tone—I've heard some really nice color in the tone. I once owned an Engelmann/Macassar Ebony guitar that sounded really nice, but it was almost too rich and might have benefited from some more separation (clarity) in the notes. I tend to not like harshness in the trebles and prefer a fatter tone in the higher registers. I've often helped achieve this on other guitars by using medium (.13, .17) strings on the e and b strings (with lights on the rest).

Joel is very impressed with the tap of this particular set of mahogany. And he's worked with this Engelmann (sister to yours in fact) and has a very good idea of how to brace it for the sound we're hoping achieve.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Wow....from your description, if your guitar turns out like the OO Engelmann Koa I have, it would be PERFECT for you hahaha couldn't have been more spot on. I'm pretty sure you're going to be ecstatic with the finished product, Joel knows what he's doing

I'm pretty sure no one will argue with you that the top (bracing etc.) isn't the main influence on tone haha would be lovely to see some bracing photos. Maybe if you could get hold of some, that would be interesting
Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Update: 2-5-15

My guitar has had Joel all to itself for the past couple of weeks, and he's made great progress. Things will slow down a bit as it awaits finish, but we're getting closer! Here's some photos showing the latest progress...

Fretboard leveled and frets installed

Final neck carve is done

The back featuring the centre strip and interrupted purfling

Hollow sterling silver fret markers

Rosette and fretboard termination

All together

Front view—Engelmann top

Low profile heel and Wenge backstrap volute

View of the slothead

Mahogany back—can't wait to see this under finish
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

I like this guitar.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Build Thread: Michaud OO-R

Beautiful. Love the way the rosette ties into the back. I'm very jealous, and living vicariously through your build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop