The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Wow Marcus,

Wow. You are getting something special.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM

Holy cow, this baby is looking great!!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan688 View Post
Looking good! So neat that the scoop cutaway isn't noticeable in this stage. I've never seen that before. You went with wenge for the bindings rights? Same with the scoop?
Hey Brendan, if you take a look at the upper right bout of the last picture, you can see the absence of the kerfling. That is where the scoop will be my initial problem with the scoop was that I wouldn't be able to percussively tap the cutaway area but Joel has finished a scoop on the other Tree guitar and told me that tapping the scoop itself has a percussive element too, so I am looking forward to seeing what sound that would bear

And yes, Wenge with the bindings, scoop, bevel and scratch pad you're still considering Wenge for yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Wow that has got to be the nicest inside of a guitar I've ever seen! Almost a shame to close the box.

TK
It is a shame indeed!! Perhaps I would have to get Joel to install an LED inside so that I can still view the interior in its full glory via the sound hole

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-08-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Wow. You are getting something special.
You say it like you aren't Thanks Josh. SO looking forward to your build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Holy cow, this baby is looking great!!
Yes yes, all thanks to you Jay! by the way, has Joel shown you updates on the other Tree build? I haven't seen much but from what I have, it is GORGEOUS. Classic design with Ebony bindings and a "simple" tree rosette. You're going to love what he did with it! If I had the cash, I would snatch it up in an instant.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-08-2015, 05:45 PM

Wowsir—that mahogany is something else! Thanks for posting some shots of the bracing. Joel's attention to detail is amazing!

I'm still waiting for my guitar….. the case hasn't gotten to Joel yet. It's torture!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Default Memphis Build Thread - Michaud OM-R Lucky Strike/"The Tree"

I'm thinking wenge, but I want to see how it looks with a scoop, thanks for picking that!
Not to sound ignorant, but what is a scratch pad? Are you doing the manzer wedge? I don't think I'm going with the manzer, but might do the bevel. Unfortunately, I have a lot of time to decide!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
by the way, has Joel shown you updates on the other Tree build? I haven't seen much but from what I have, it is GORGEOUS. Classic design with Ebony bindings and a "simple" tree rosette. You're going to love what he did with it! If I had the cash, I would snatch it up in an instant.
Haven't seen a thing...really...glad you like what you have heard or seen...I'm giving him pretty much free reign.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
Wowsir—that mahogany is something else! Thanks for posting some shots of the bracing. Joel's attention to detail is amazing!

I'm still waiting for my guitar….. the case hasn't gotten to Joel yet. It's torture!
Haha! Oh man, I feel your pain. So close yet so far! All you can pray for is that Joel does not take pictures of your guitar dangling precariously over the windowsill or table edge to further torment you.

I can't wait for the guitar to be in your hands to hear your review what's it...one more week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan688 View Post
I'm thinking wenge, but I want to see how it looks with a scoop, thanks for picking that!
Not to sound ignorant, but what is a scratch pad? Are you doing the manzer wedge? I don't think I'm going with the manzer, but might do the bevel. Unfortunately, I have a lot of time to decide!
Haha! No worries, picked it just for you

I am doing the Manzer Wedge. It really depends on whaich kind of comfort you want. Wedge is usually for people with shoulder problems or who get shoulder ache over extended periods of playing while the Bevel is for blood circulation being cut off at the bicep or just discomfort at that area in general. So you can use those guidelines to see which you would prefer if you have the choice of only one. Then again, you can consider the rib bevel too...

A guitar with a bevel shouldn't be TOO hard to find in a store nearby. A wedge might prove harder so take the time to try it out. Better than staying at home wondering when your build will finally start

Not ignorant at all! It isn't very common. Check out this video to get an idea of what a scratch pad is for.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-08-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Haven't seen a thing...really...glad you like what you have heard or seen...I'm giving him pretty much free reign.
Rumour has it that the scoop is in place already. He is being really secretive so I haven't seen much haha

You should definitely post some on his behalf

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm REALLY digging this!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
I'm REALLY digging this!!!
Thanks Dave, glad I'm not the only one I shall have more updates headed your way

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2015, 11:40 AM

Default Brace time!

Joel spends a lot of time selecting his brace stock. The species to him is irrelevant compared to the characteristics - strong and light weight. There is a perfect mix of density and stiffness that he seeks in is braces. Stiff is great but overly heavy for its stiffness will inhibit the top from moving; Light weight is good but if it is as limp as a noodle you will have to increase the height to compensate.

He uses deflection measurements along with a scale to test braces which are all measured against his known bench mark. Those that meet his standards are put into his stock for use in his guitars. And apparently, those that do not meet the mark get used for my guitars

Being the young and technologically savvy luthier that Joel is, he always ensures that he uses the latest technologies to obtain the absolute best standards in his guitars as can be seen by the high tech weight used for the deflection testing

The braces are chosen and then radiused before being glued on. The shaping will happen after being glued on

The fretboard and bridge are then laid out to double check all the measurements and positions as the way the bridge interacts with the X brace is extremely important. The wings are to land on the right position of the X to maintain his tonal goals.

His voicing procedure for the top starts with deflection testing. Joel sets his tops based on deflection with a certain weight over a set san, and these change based on the body shape.

The top is placed and he flexes it until he can get a reliable zero mark

Again, another prime example of Joel's high tech weight devices to measure the deflection. They not only serve as the perfect weight but as well as being his two most used tools in the shop!

And here is the thicknessed top completed!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2015, 11:46 AM

Default Brace time!

Deleted Duplicate Post

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 AM

A couple of his signature rosette back strip shots! The designs tie in together so much better than I had envisioned!!

And now for his signature Shark Fin brace. It is the support for the Scoop Cutaway

A shot of how everything comes together nice and tight

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Default All closed up!

The box has finally been closed up! And according to Joel, it is sounding phenomenal, but then again, what else would he have said?

Ain't that the finest butt you have ever seen? My personal favourite shot of the whole build!

I am extremely excited about how it is turning out. Joel said that I would be over the moon for my next update. I wonder what he has in store for me!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree