The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Happy With My K&M Stand

So my quiklok a-frame stand damaged my mint seagull s6. I wrote about that here https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547750

I asked users here which stand they prefer. Most replies said the Hercules hanger or the K&M A-frame. I got the K & M shipped to me in Israel about $70 total. I'm quite happy with it. It's very sturdy, the cork rubber grips are grippy but not abrasive, and doesn't have any sharp plastic parts to damage my guitars like the quiklok. I just thought I would post a few pics of it not destroying my guitar, and in comparison to the quiklok stand.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Good choice. K&M makes a nice stand.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 PM

K&M stands are really nice. I recently bought two of the Heli 2 model stands like below. These are the best compact guitar stands I've used. Quality construction. The frame is steel. The geometry places the center of gravity of the guitar right where it should be relative to the stand's footprint so that it's very stable.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 PM

If you're happy I'm happy. Those A frame stands aren't my thing though they're simple, compact and lightweight.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
If you're happy I'm happy. Those A frame stands aren't my thing though they're simple, compact and lightweight.
They're great until they're not. All it takes is for someone to bump it, or a strong gust of wind on an outdoor gig to send the guitar to the ground. A local guy here had his Martin D-41 blow over at a farmers market gig and the headstock broke off.

Guitars in cases for me unless I'm playing.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
They're great until they're not. All it takes is for someone to bump it, or a strong gust of wind on an outdoor gig to send the guitar to the ground. A local guy here had his Martin D-41 blow over at a farmers market gig and the headstock broke off.

Guitars in cases for me unless I'm playing.
In other words, they're great until they are used in a completely inappropriate manner. I would never use mine under circumstances like that because I'm not a bone head.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
K&M stands are really nice. I recently bought two of the Heli 2 model stands like below. These are the best compact guitar stands I've used. Quality construction. The frame is steel. The geometry places the center of gravity of the guitar right where it should be relative to the stand's footprint so that it's very stable.

[IMG][/IMG]
I have one of these as well. And one of the models with the thinner guitar base for electrics. And, for sure, you have to use them where appropriate and not where not. At home, I have my guitars hanging in Hercules stands, so nothing short of a full wall collapse should bring them down (and my acoustic is a humidity-free guitar, so no worries there). We spend a few months each winter in a really small place down south and I just take my acoustic and one electric and I'm not hanging stuff on the walls of a rental place, so that's where I use the K&M. No kids, no pets, nobody's gonna knock em over but me. Or my wife, but I keep 'em in an out of the way corner of a spare bedroom, so there's no real risk. They're the best floor stands I've ever used.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM

I've been using K+M boom stands since 1985. All of the ones I bought back then are still in use. They are well designed and very road-worthy.

I would never hesitate to purchase K+M products.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM

right on

I personally love the hercules.

Hercules, Elixir's, and Martins are the magic formula for me.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
In other words, they're great until they are used in a completely inappropriate manner. I would never use mine under circumstances like that because I'm not a bone head.
Weird flex, but ok...

Most folks wouldn't consider using one on a gig "inappropriate" until a band mate or anyone for that matter, bumps into a guitar on such a stand and knocks it over.

I mean, if you don't gig, never take your guitar out of your living room, don't have kids, cats, dogs, or unruly guests, or a clumsy wife, then have at it. It'll be great until it isn't.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
the cork rubber grips are grippy but not abrasive, and doesn't have any sharp plastic parts to damage my guitars like the quiklok.
Should we assume that the cork rubber doesn't react with finishes?
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Question Ahem

Quote:
I mean, if you don't gig, never take your guitar out of your living room, don't have kids, cats, dogs, or unruly guests, or a clumsy wife, then have at it. It'll be great until it isn't.
Do you think there aren't guitar players like you describe? I have this very same stand, and a few years in, it has not dropped the guitar. Also, I have a child and a wife, and they aren't clumsy. Maybe yours could be trained.

Just kidding!

I certainly understand why players like the Hercules-style stands, they look like good choices too. Are they wind-proof?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Do you think there aren't guitar players like you describe? I have this very same stand, and a few years in, it has not dropped the guitar. Also, I have a child and a wife, and they aren't clumsy. Maybe yours could be trained.

Just kidding!

I certainly understand why players like the Hercules-style stands, they look like good choices too. Are they wind-proof?
I am not married and I don't have kids. Glad you've trained yours...

Nothing is wind proof that I know of. I put my guitars back in the case on breaks.

I saw a Martin D-41 that was on my tech's bench that got blown over at a farmers market gig while it was on one of those A-Frame stands. That's enough of a deterrent for me. YMMV.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Should we assume that the cork rubber doesn't react with finishes?
What on Earth is ‘cork rubber’? Not your description I know, but I’ve never heard of such a thing!

Quote:
Nothing is wind proof that I know of. I put my guitars back in the case on breaks.

I saw a Martin D-41 that was on my tech's bench that got blown over at a farmers market gig while it was on one of those A-Frame stands. That's enough of a deterrent for me. YMMV.
Amen, amen, amen to that! Back in the ‘70s my Gibson 335 was knocked off an A-frame stand at a gig by an official who’d drunk a beer too many - it took the standard Gibson headstock-break. Expensive repair. My experience of A-frame stands is that ‘sharp plastic bits’ which ‘destroy my guitar’ are the least of an owner’s worries!

Nowadays I use Hercules GS414B stands at home and out at gigs - stable, bomb-proof, and hold the guitar absolutely rock-solid. No ‘sharp plastic bits’ to ‘destroy my guitar’, and no ‘cork rubber’!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 06-18-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
What on Earth is ‘cork rubber’? Not your description I know, but I’ve never heard of such a thing!

Amen, amen, amen to that! Back in the ‘70s my Gibson 335 was knocked off an A-frame stand at a gig by an official who’d drunk a beer too many - it took the standard Gibson headstock-break. Expensive repair. My experience of A-frame stands is that ‘sharp plastic bits’ which ‘destroy my guitar’ are the least of an owner’s worries!

Nowadays I use Hercules GS414B stands at home and out at gigs - stable, bomb-proof, and hold the guitar absolutely rock-solid. No ‘sharp plastic bits’ to ‘destroy my guitar’, and no ‘cork rubber’!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Yeah. I hate carrying extra stuff. I don't feel the need to display my guitars on break or at home, so they go into cases. Occasionally, I'll rest my guitar on it's side right on the ground next to me if need be. I know,... the HORROR!
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion